Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to do with 4gb ram vps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What to do with 4gb ram vps

I have a 4gb ram vps idling that is no longer being used and already prepaid for next 3 years (AMAZING DEAL). What can I use the vps for? Please read below before responding.

I currently already run the following on other VPS machines, so please do not recommend:
1. Teamspeak 3
2. Ventrilo
3. VPN

I don't have an interest in installing the following because I have other managed services I am happy with or I don't care for it (at this time):
1. DNS
2. Web Hosting/websites
3. Backup services
4. Web analytics
5. RSS feeds
6. File storage
7. Bitcoin mining - this is server abuse, please do not recommend
8. Remote desktop

I have considered the following, but please provide specific examples if you recommend the following:
1. What kind of game servers do you run? what games? Not a big fan of minecraft or counterstrike.
2. Is there a way to set up learning platforms to play and learn, like the built in web broswer options in Codecademy?
3. Anything else?

Anything interesting I haven't considered?

Comments

• I guess you forgot to mention tor.....seedbox...and some traffic exchange software .....
    What else...

• mail server, git, nested virt

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

cheapwebdev said: I have a 4gb ram vps idling that is no longer being used and already prepaid for next 3 years (AMAZING DEAL).

Usually an amazing deal on a 3-year prepaid VPS means you have actually overpaid for the three months it will actually work.

• @vdedi said:
    mail server, git, nested virt

Nested virt is generally not allowed by hosts...

• @raindog308 said:

cheapwebdev said: I have a 4gb ram vps idling that is no longer being used and already prepaid for next 3 years (AMAZING DEAL).

Usually an amazing deal on a 3-year prepaid VPS means you have actually overpaid for the three months it will actually work.

Paying under $30 a year.

@noaman said:
    I guess you forgot to mention tor.....seedbox...and some traffic exchange software .....
    What else...

I have a very good rep with this host, they do not allow torrenting and I do not need torrents. I have a friend who does all of this for me and transfers it to me when done. Please explain what you mean by traffic exchange.

@vdedi said:
    mail server, git, nested virt

What is a nested virt? Do do not need mail server and have enterprise git setup already which I am happy with.

• Ignore traffic exchange...it was meant as a joke...:-)

Thanked by 1netomx

@cheapwebdev said:

@raindog308 said:

Paying under $30 a year

I suppose $10/mo for 4gb isn't bad, though the no-notice migration won't be fun...

Thanked by 1Four20
  • @raindog308 said:

@cheapwebdev said:

@raindog308 said:

Paying under $30 a year

I suppose $10/mo for 4gb isn't bad, though the no-notice migration won't be fun...

You mean $30/month? He prepaid 3 years.

Thanked by 1Four20
  • @TheOnlyDK said:

@raindog308 said:

@cheapwebdev said:

@raindog308 said:

Paying under $30 a year

You mean $30/month? He prepaid 3 years.

Yea.. its under $2.50 a month. No sure what he/she is reading. Anyways... still looking for ideas. I like whats been thrown out but no action items or ideas for me yet. :(

Any other ideas? Or if any specific games recommended for game server? Only ones I know are Minecraft and counter strike and I don't want to play either.

• cheapwebdev said: Yea.. its under $2.50 a month. No sure what he/she is reading.

He's saying usually when you prepay 3 years, the host runs away after some time, say 3 months. That means you paid $30 a year = $90 for 3 years, but if you get the service for only 3 months, that's $30 a month.

Thanked by 2deadbeef KillaKev

TheOnlyDK said: You mean $30/month? He prepaid 3 years.

Sorry, you're right - my math was off. $30/month isn't a great deal.

cheapwebdev said: Yea.. its under $2.50 a month. No sure what he/she is reading.

Anyone ever had a case where they got an AMAZING DEAL and prepaid a VPS for three years and it was still working after three years? Usually when you get an AMAZING DEAL and pay for three years in advance, your VPS stops responding after a few months when the provider goes under.

So it'll probably work for 3 months. You paid $90 for those three months...

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • I have been using the host for several years now, they have been around for a long time. This is off topic now back to my question...

Any other ideas? Or if any specific games recommended for game server? Only ones I know are Minecraft and counter strike and I don't want to play either.

• You can give away for free someone who seeking for?

Thanked by 2netomx Dormeo
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Is it OpenVZ or KVM?

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • @cheapwebdev said:
    (AMAZING DEAL)

True but not for whom you assume :D

Thanked by 1netomx
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

4GB? I have 64mb in my router and I dont know what to do!

• run a bitcoin node? (not a miner)

note: this requires min 120Gb disk and will push around 2Tb traffic /month

• run a tor relay?

again this can be very bandwidth intensive .. ;)

• Bw ? Cpu?

• Discord Bot?

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Is it OpenVZ or KVM?

OpenVZ> @deadbeef said:

@cheapwebdev said:
    (AMAZING DEAL)

Its from HVH...

@mik997 said:

• run a tor relay?

Would like to avoid bitcoin.> @inthecloudblog said:

Bw ? Cpu?

2TB Bandwith, CPU.. not sure but its HVH so I am not concerened.

@Gravely said:
    Discord Bot?

Can you help me understand what a discord bot is please? Spent some time on google but I am confused on if they crawl the internet.. or stay within the server and do small and menial things?

• @cheapwebdev said:

@AnthonySmith said:
    Is it OpenVZ or KVM?

OpenVZ> @deadbeef said:

@cheapwebdev said:
    (AMAZING DEAL)

Its from HVH...

@mik997 said:

• run a tor relay?

Would like to avoid bitcoin.> @inthecloudblog said:

Bw ? Cpu?

2TB Bandwith, CPU.. not sure but its HVH so I am not concerened.

@Gravely said:
    Discord Bot?

Can you help me understand what a discord bot is please? Spent some time on google but I am confused on if they crawl the internet.. or stay within the server and do small and menial things?

I personally use it as a music bot. But there are many uses http://twentysix26.github.io/Red-Docs/

Right, 4GB KVM for $90 p/3 years is FANTASTIC (assuming you get 3 years), for OpenVZ however.. not so epic.

Personally I would not pay $90 for anything unless I had a good use for it though, sounds like you got hit by magic beans syndrome :)

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Right, 4GB KVM for $90 p/3 years is FANTASTIC (assuming you get 3 years), for OpenVZ however.. not so epic.

Personally I would not pay $90 for anything unless I had a good use for it though, sounds like you got hit by magic beans syndrome :)

It's Openvz

@AnthonySmith said: Is it OpenVZ or KVM?

>

OpenVZ

• This forum is useless..... very few people cared to answer the question. The rest of you are clearly annoyed you are overpaying from a good host.

• @cheapwebdev said:
    This forum is useless..... very few people cared to answer the question. The rest of you are clearly annoyed you are overpaying from a good host.

Hey, its good that noone is forcing you to stay :)

• ehabehab Member
    edited November 2016

why all this noise

give it to me :P

• In case nobody got it, this is a poor 3rd world attempt at promoting HVH and his affiliate link.

@netomx said:
    4GB? I have 64mb in my router and I dont know what to do!

Waiting for offers...

Thanked by 1netomx

@cheapwebdev said:
    This forum is useless..... very few people cared to answer the question. The rest of you are clearly annoyed you are overpaying from a good host.

Not really, but you might as well have said, i'm writing a book, what should I write it about?

4GB OpenVZ server for $30 p/year is pretty good, not that great though.

You dont run your own kernel, your options are limited, what to do with it? whatever you want, start with https://www.howtoforge.com/ you can run most things on there, its pointless us making those sorts of decisions for you.

Thanks for calling us useless.