Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perfect IP ! Any reviews?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Perfect IP ! Any reviews?

darknessendsdarknessends Member
edited April 2013 in General

Hello guys,

I seriously see some really cheap offers from them. Did anyone try ? How are they ? Anyone hosting with them.

Comments

• I tried one of their boxes and did not have a good experience. The server wandered off and my tickets and emails to support went unanswered for two days until I canceled then the replies were "Why are you canceling?"

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

I've heard mixed things about them myself (from here and WHT). I've not tried them myself, and don't plan to. Offers that low make me suspicious - especially when PerfectIP never answer live chat or anything like that.

• @dominicl said: especially when PerfectIP never answer live chat or anything like that.

Maybe, the price can be so low because they don't have anyone working at live chat? (^v^)

• @NodePing said: The server wandered off

I hear you have to kick your servers in the leg to make sure they don't wander off.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@superpilesos said: Maybe, the price can be so low because they don't have anyone working at live chat? (^v^)

Haha, probably is. Their live chat seems to be online quite a lot of the time, however seems to be answered 0.1% of the time. Probably is the reason for the price.

Not sure about the network - but it's probably bad :P

• Hmm PerfectIP, bi-polar in my experience.

1) Really pushy about ID; using a fully verified PayPal (bank + verified address) didn't help. Had to battle it out with the billing department until they finally accepted my bank card as a form of ID (they talked to the manager)

2) Network is decent. Nothing special but pings to everywhere are as expected and I could always push the port to capacity. Didn't have any downtime.

3) The departments just don't talk to eachother. Seriously. I noticed that the server had gone down on the monitors so I logged into the Supermicro IPMI only to see a chassis intrusion warning; turns out someone decided to open the case and ruined the disks. Spent the next day recovering data with some help from @jhadley. Never got an explanation, never mind an apology...

• No,perfect ip is not cheap,check their addon price.The bare server is cheap and try to add some addons to it

• Any reviews?

Google the name they used from 2004-2010 VRTservers and you'll get plenty. Nothing (except their name) has changed since then.

• imperioimperio Member
    edited April 2013

@DomainBop do you sleep on WHT or should we call you hosting detective :)

• I have 2 servers with PerfectIP for personal use, both are with default spec and no crappy addon fees added.
    The servers are good, my nagios monitor shows a 100% uptime in the last 23 days.

• danodano Member
    edited April 2013

I have had a server with PI for about 2 months now -- I have had a few issues, but the biggest one I keep having is that my server keeps losing it's connection. PI network doesn't use private vlans for your IP space, so you have to have your servers MAC address in their switch. Over the past month or two, I have had incidents where the server has no connectivity, so I contact support and they told me to "check from my ipmi/kvm" and closed the ticket. I replied that I have already done all of this again, and I would like you to check the switch to make sure I am still enabled and my mac address is listed? After a short time, the system is back online is no real explanation really -- once they told me they had to replace my ethernet cable -- I wasn't loosing packets or anything, but maybe they noticed something on the switch, who knows, they don't explain. One thing I have noticed with this type of network(client are on a larger network segment,not private vlans), is the amount of traffic that I receive at the interface from other servers at PI(average of 35-40kpbs).

Otherwise, the network is ok - cogent and he only it seems from the ASN, but it has been stable and quite fast to most destinations.

I cannot really recommend PI as a provider at this time though - they are inexpensive, but the network layout and my mac address or other network connectivity issues cause me to lose confidence in PI. I have tested dedicated servers with @qps, wsi/datashack(and their resellers), versaweb, handynetworks, corenetworks, and have had a better experience. My expectations are not unreal, as I just expect the machine to be connected to the network, powered on, and if not, I would like support to check it out. I always try my best to explain to PI's support what is happening with my network issues that keep popping up, but it's still a battle to get someone to look more. So far, I have lost my connectivity atleast 3 times in the last couple of months, with one instance being a cable issue, and the other being a mac address, and the third most likely being a case of the mac address no longer existing on the switch. When access the servers console, I am not able to ping or contact my local switch at all, so their is something odd/strange happening with the network. It could also be since this broadcast domain is saturated with traffic, or just bad network management of the ports security, or cheap cables -- I haven't had any of these issues with my other dedicated servers, which have vlans per client, so it makes me point my finger that way, but I am not a network ninja, so I am only guessing, based on the info PI support has given me.