Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Got Excel?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Got Excel?

jeffjeff Member
edited April 2013 in General

Ah, tax time, what a joy. Wifey is a tax analyst (not cpa) and this leads to many fun discussions on my write offs etc. What is cool is she is an Excel wiz and anything I need formatted in a sheet she does a nice job. As I make my way from web dev to sysadmin I thought I would start tracking in Excel. What I am interested in is seeing if anyone needs cool Excel stuff done. My offer is to do it for free and I get the benefit of your experience and we both get nice presentable (as in I need a business loan) admin tools.

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I personally don't but you might want to give some examples...I'm having a hard time visualizing what "cool Excel stuff" is. I know you can do pretty much anything with it if you write VB code.

I've heard the complaint that Excel macros/VB/etc. tends to break moving from major version to version though I don't know how true that is.

To the cloud!

• @raindog308 said: To the cloud!

AKA Office 365

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

Google Drive ftw

• jeffjeff Member

@raindog308 said: I personally don't but you might want to give some examples...I'm having a hard time visualizing what "cool Excel stuff" is. I know you can do pretty much anything with it if you write VB code.

I've heard the complaint that Excel macros/VB/etc. tends to break moving from major version to version though I don't know how true that is.

I don't have any examples... kinda the point. But if you want to know her area of expertise, her job is to audit REMICs. If using excel is a bad way to go, then thanks for your input. In my previous life I worked as a IT field tech for a fortune 50 telecom for 8 years and was a Microsoft contractor at Boeing before that. I had to track a lot of stuff and I relied on excel, because most of the in-house tools sucked and wasted time.

One example I can give that was a real time saver in the DC was hooking a point of sale scanner to my laptop for asset management. All that info was placed into excel. I want to track IP ranges, billing, performance, attacks... everything.

• jeffjeff Member

That is cool... next time I need to change the subject with wifey I will point her this way.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jeff said: I had to track a lot of stuff and I relied on excel, because most of the in-house tools sucked and wasted time.

Ah, the story of modern IT. Agility in the field vs. central IT. A never-ending war :-)

• jeffjeff Member

@raindog308 said: Ah, the story of modern IT. Agility in the field vs. central IT. A never-ending war :-)

Combine that with endless rounds of corporate downsizing and you are several rings deep into the inferno. It was a great job for the most part, I was second shift, had an unmarked corp van with permission to keep the surfboard inside. I surfed in the morning, then worked, my lunch time was during happy hour... but the best was getting to do all the projects because I was the night guy. I got exposed to a little bit of everything. Doing work for the "men in black" tracking stolen shipments of cell phones, etc.