Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For Sale Hosting Forum Package: new XenForo license + Resource Manager Plugin + 4 Free Domain Names
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

For Sale Hosting Forum Package: new XenForo license + Resource Manager Plugin + 4 Free Domain Names

marcmmarcm Member
edited April 2013 in General

A little while ago I wanted to start a small hosting forum for my business (mostly for customers), however we don't have the time to run it.

The package that I am offering here includes:

• XenForo 1.1.4 (with 1 Year Support)
  • XenForo Resource Manager Plugin (made by XenForo) - this will enable you to allow members to trade on the forum amongst other things. Look here for an example: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/
  • Four free domain names (it's your choice if you want to use them):
  • NextHostingForum.com (Privacy + expires 11/23/2014)
  • NextHostingForum.net (Privacy + expires 11/23/2014)
  • NextHostingForum.org (Privacy + expires 11/23/2014)
  • NextHostingForum.info (Privacy + expires 11/23/2014)

Registrar: Name.com

Asking price: $200

For anyone who has time and wants to do this, it makes for a pretty decent project. If not, this forum software can be used for anything and you can sell the domains to someone else (they are free with this package).

Thank you for your interest in this.

Comments

• Sorry to be a bit rude and bring some bad news, but honestly your not going to get $200. As XenForo is $140, and recently they had a sale on the Resource Manager plugin that put it down at $20 (so total you prob. paid is $160). Being that I think the best estimate you'll get it max is close to $150.

• @NickPerk said: Being that I think the best estimate you'll get it max is close to $150.

And four domains? I think they worth the remaining 50 bucks? No?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@NickPerk said: onestly your not going to get $200

Well I guess it depends on what people value the domains.

The thing that irks me about Xenforo is that a second-hand license is worth a lot less than a first-hand license because you can't transfer or sell a second-hand license. If A licenses Xenforo from Xenforo, and then B buys that license, B is prohibited from selling the license further - all he can do is turn it off.

This benefits Xenforo greatly but vb and ipb don't do this.

http://xenforo.com/license-agreement/

• marcmmarcm Member

@raindog308 - Other forum licenses (like IP Board for example) have the same provisions about a one time transfer, however I can just turn over the account to whoever wants to purchase this.

@NickPerk - Thanks for telling me what my stuff if worth. I don't know what I would have ever done without you.

@zhuanyi - Thanks :-) Let me know if you ever need anything.

@marcm said: Other forum licenses (like IP Board for example) have the same provisions about a one time transfer

That is not true. With IPB, the new owner has all the rights of the previous owner and can sell/transfer to someone else. I believe the same is true with VB. Xenforo is different.

Not saying that makes it a bad purchase, etc. just commenting on Xenforo.

• marcmmarcm Member

@raindog308 - No offense,but you're wrong. IP Board has an even more restrictive license transfer process (they make you transfer your entire account, you can only transfer after 6 months of ownership, support has to be renewed every 6 months and so on). Plus I've already said that I would just simply turn my account over to whoever wants to buy it. Now if you don't mind me asking, if you're not interested in buying this, what do you want exactly?

@marcm said: No offense,but you're wrong.

No I'm not.

The license transfer is automated on their site. You do pay a small fee ($15 I think) and then your license key and whatever apps you choose to transfer are transferred to another user. You do not have to transfer your entire account. True, the product(s) have to be under support but there is no time limitation.

@marcm said: Now if you don't mind me asking, if you're not interested in buying this, what do you want exactly?

I was just commenting on an unfortunate aspect of Xenforo licensing. It's an open forum here...

• marcmmarcm Member

@raindog308 said: No I'm not.

Yes you are. They have done away with the $15 fee, however they have new restrictions now that I explained in my previous comment. When was the last time you sold an IP Board license? Because I did recently and had to jump through the hoops. I ended up turning over my account to spare the buyer any unnecessary headaches.

@raindog308 said: I was just commenting on an unfortunate aspect of Xenforo licensing.

The are no unfortunate aspects of XenForo licensing. You linked http://xenforo.com/license-agreement/ however you failed to read it. It places no restrictions on how many times a license can be transferred. Again, this isn't an issue because I can just turn my account over to the buyer.

@raindog308 said: It's an open forum here...

It may be, but that's just like saying that "the street is a public place, I can do what I want". I know what I am selling, I am not trying to trick anyone and most certainly I encourage any potential buyers to look at all the aspects of a license transfer. XenForo doesn't have any more restrictions than any other forum software provider, and according to their latest license, they actually have less.

@marcm said: Yes you are. They have done away with the $15 fee, however they have new restrictions now that I explained in my previous comment. When was the last time you sold an IP Board license? Because I did recently and had to jump through the hoops.

~1 year. And looks to me like their policy hasn't changed. Just took this a minute ago:

@marcm said: The are no unfortunate aspects of XenForo licensing. You linked http://xenforo.com/license-agreement/ however you failed to read it. It places no restrictions on how many times a license can be transferred.

"The Software may be permanently transferred by the original purchaser to a third party ("Subsequent Licensee") not before 120 days following purchase, provided that the expiry date of the License falls after the date of the transfer. The original licensee may not retain a copy or installation of the Software. The Subsequent Licensee must agree to the terms of this Agreement and waive the right to transfer."

And from a Xenforo forum mod:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/2nd-hand-license.46846/

"Second hand licenses must be "active" to be sold and can't be re-sold."

I'm not saying that buying your Xenforo license is a bad deal, just mentioning an unfortunate aspect of Xenforo licensing.

• You may have better luck over at WHT for this, as you'll get nickel and dimed here for sure.

• marcmmarcm Member

@raindog308 - Well, I hope that you feel better now that you got that out of your system. Thank you for turning my listing into a IP Board vs. XenForo debate. Apparently InvisionPower changes their licensing terms as often as they want. For a while they had no transfer fee, but instead limited the amount of license transfers to one. I am sorry, but I don't keep up with their changes because I no longer own IP Board. As far as XenForo is concerned, I can have the account updated with the buyer's info and leave their one time license transfer intact. Again, thanks for being such a nice guy and ruining my listing. I have sold plenty of other things here and always made sure that the buyer walked away happy.

@MannDude - It's all good, I don't have to sell this necessarily, just thought it would make a nice bundle for anyone looking to start a forum.

@marcm said: Again, thanks for being such a nice guy and ruining my listing.

NickPerk: "Sorry to be a bit rude and bring some bad news, but honestly your not going to get $200. "
    raindog308: "Well I guess it depends on what people value the domains."

raindog308: "Not saying that makes it a bad purchase, etc. just commenting on Xenforo."

raindog308: "I'm not saying that buying your Xenforo license is a bad deal."

Yeah, I really was trying to ruin it.

@marcm said: Thank you for turning my listing into a IP Board vs. XenForo debate.

Welcome to LET...sometimes threads get derailed here.

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited April 2013

One more minor detail: I have never activated my XenForo license so the support staff will have no problem updating my account with the buyer's info.

@raindog308 said: Yeah, I really was trying to ruin it.

The point is that anyone who is interested in this and sees two or three people arguing inside a listing thread will be turned off regardless of the comments. Certainly if I would be on the customer side, by now I would be turned off and I would move along. That was my whole point. Customers or potential customers don't like arguments, period.

• marcmmarcm Member

@liam - please close and sink this, I'm breaking up the bundle and selling it somewhere else. Thanks allot :-)

• @zhuanyi said: And four domains? I think they worth the remaining 50 bucks? No?

Four free domain names - Not so free anymore :P

• @NickPerk said: Four free domain names - Not so free anymore :P

I think "free" these days just means they are bundled with the package and you can take it at no extra cost.

• @zhuanyi said: I think "free" these days just means they are bundled with the package and you can take it at no extra cost.

How right you are! +1

• marcmmarcm Member

@NickPerk said: Four free domain names - Not so free anymore :P

@NickPerk - You are really sweet, however I hope that you realize that you're beating a dead horse, right? These bundle isn't for sale here anymore.

@zhuanyi said: I think "free" these days just means they are bundled with the package and you can take it at no extra cost.

@zhuanyi - That's pretty much it. Everyone, including me, is looking at the overall value of a package or bundle. It's how marketing in America works, and other parts of the world have copied this as well.