Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad experience from BlueVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bad experience from BlueVM

IpDoIpDo Member
edited April 2013 in Reviews

Title said it all.
I'm a costumer for a week or so.
I wanted to move my BudgetVM vps data to a more "serious" location. so I choose BlueVM.
This was a very bad choice.
First, I found out that you can't set the rDNS by you self, so I've opened a ticket requesting help in that meter and asked for a quote for upgrade to 1GB package (from 512mb).
after a day I got a response that I have new invoice for the upgrade (not what I've asked for, but I said for myself that It's a good company and I should upgrade) and asked for what rDNS they would set.
that was 8/4 and 9/4 (payed the new invoice as well).
10/4: still no sign for any rDNS in the panel and no upgrade. ticketed again. for a response that I should inform after I payed the invoice to get the upgrade and that I got upgraded. the rDNS will be taken care of.
11/4: got reply that the rDNS was set.

No biggies till now.. took them quite long to deal with the rDNS and it seems that BlueVM doesn't do good client managing.

Now, I finally got a chance to play around with my new KVM (been using only OpenVZ VPSs till now).
after some difficulties in getting the SSH server to get connections (dunno why) I've benchmarked the server.
results ware surprisingly low for a 3 core (2ghz) RAID10 setup.
reinstalled a few times with a few setups to make sure that the problem isn't on my end (as much as I can).
I/O speed : 49.3 MB/s
and it even got to 7.5MB/s.

ServerBear:
http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2013/04/11/jo9H3l6HVfd0MWbx

UnixBench 655~ (for all cores).

12/4: ticked again (about IO speed):
got replay:
"
We are aware, our upstream provider XO Communications is having issues and we are in contact with the DC to fix this.

I hope to have informed you sufficiently."

I was like, WHAT?!

replayed (13/4) with some anger, I felt like someone was wasting my time.
got a response an hour later:
"Which disk driver are you using? IDE or virtio? If you're using IDE I suggest switching to Virtio, as it is much faster.

If you require further support, please let us know."

replayed an hour later:
"I'm using virtio. "

form that moment on, not a word from them.

My BudgetVM was set to expire today (14/4) and obviously I will not put my data and sites on such bad preforming server.

So to sum it up, after one week of service I can say that BlueVM don't give a f**k about any problems and sure take their time with support tickets. avoid them.

Comments

• when i was with them they reply within 45 minutes consistently

• I've had a BlueVM KVM for over a year. Never had an issue with support: they are polite, professional and get the job done. Your rDNS was probably set by the upstream provider so it takes a bit of time. In my experience, disk/cpu performance is not stellar but it is consistent and pretty good. Network uptime (aside from datacentre migrations) has been excellent. Overall I think BlueVM provides excellent value for the price, which is damn cheap.

• My $12.00 Plan/Year - Illinois:
    wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 V2 @ 3.40GHz Number of cores : 1 CPU frequency : 3058.189 MHz Total amount of ram : 256 MB Total amount of swap : 0 MB System uptime : 2 days, 5:27, Download speed from CacheFly: 63.5MB/s Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 62.8MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 43.3MB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 6.56MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 10.5MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 5.67MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 24.7MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 23.1MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 51.4MB/s I/O speed : 110 MB/s

My Buffalo BLUE3 (256/512 MB)
    wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 V2 @ 3.40GHz Number of cores : 2 CPU frequency : 3058.177 MHz Total amount of ram : 512 MB Total amount of swap : 0 MB System uptime : 46 days, 2:04, Download speed from CacheFly: 31.2MB/s Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 2.41MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 39.8MB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 8.09MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 7.08MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 6.60MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 38.5MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 91.6MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 16.4MB/s I/O speed : 107 MB/s

• Sure you specified virtio device in your fstab?

• IpDoIpDo Member

from now:
    CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)
    Number of cores : 3
    CPU frequency : 2000.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 1006 MB
    Total amount of swap : 2015 MB
    System uptime : 2 days, 18:45,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 23.8MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 17.5MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 15.8MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP:
    Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 10.6MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 9.81MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 4.08MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 11.3MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 13.7MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 25.9MB/s
    I/O speed : 22.4 MB/s

amazing I/O.

• IshaqIshaq Member

That doesn't look right at all.

What's your ticket ID?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2013

That looks like it's not using the virtio drivers.

• CentOS 5.7 / 5.8 / 5.9 by any chance?

• MunMun Member

OP I think you are looking something that is world class in a LEB price range. You aren't going to find it.

Linode.com?

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @IpDo said: I wanted to move my BudgetVM vps data to a more "serious" location. so I choose BlueVM.

Both are budget providers, so there is no such thing as one is more "serious" than the other.

Bear in mind that I do not think BlueVM owns the IP so they might have to get the DC to set up the rDNS for their IPs and considering that they are likely to use budget DCs, I won't be surprised that it will take a while to set the rDNS up.

@Mun said: OP I think you are looking something that is world class in a LEB price range. You aren't going to find it.

Linode.com?

+1

• @zhuanyi said: Both are budget providers, so there is no such thing as one is more "serious" than the other.

+1, My experience on BudgetVM is having rough time on first few days. Just maybe you need to have that too with other budget providers.

@zhuanyi said: Bear in mind that I do not think BlueVM owns the IP so they might have to get the DC to set up the rDNS for their IPs and considering that they are likely to use budget DCs, I won't be surprised that it will take a while to set the rDNS up.

+1, I can't blame BlueVM for this.

BTW I keep few VPS on BudgetVM and still find apply for vps from others too. Once you have been an BudgetVM reseller you got better support from higher level staff.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Noerman said: +1, My experience on BudgetVM is having rough time on first few days. Just maybe you need to have that too with other budget providers.

Same here, first days when they did the promo were horrible with more than 1 reboot a day at start, then it got better and in the end was going strong for weeks. Also for a week or so network was in hundreds of K, then was solved. I kept it for many months, I think more than half a year, but didnt needed anymore and let go.
    Regarding BlueVM, had good experience with their OVZ, snce I am looking mostly for network, got what I needed, but had to let go in the end because of frequent reboots and container not coming back up automatically.
    Otherwise, I wold recommend, for this price you will hardly get such good network.

• What application are you running that's dependent on high IO?

• @IpDo said: Now, I finally got a chance to play around with my new KVM

Have you installed a newer kernel? On KVM, I get a slight boost with kernel 3.x.

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited April 2013

We refer to the server your on as S2.KVM.NY, I just pulled a DD on the node itself:

[root@s2 ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync; unlink test
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 5.42651 seconds, 198 MB/s

So it's either something with your VPS or it's drivers or you pulled a test at a high load point, though in reality I haven't seen the node dip below 100 MB/s yet...

Either way I'm sorry our support wasn't up to your expectations, believe it or not I did read your email before you posted it on here as I read every customer feedback. (For the record I got it at about midnight in bed on my phone.)

There is no reason your support should have been that bad and I will be taking measures to fix the problem.

• Personally I've never had problems with BlueVM support and/or their services. Sorry @IpDo that you got that. I personally think of it as an isolated event and you should be taken care of well from these guys.

• imperioimperio Member
    edited April 2013

Well, I do not like complaining for a 7$ month server however at least i expect i get what is promised.

1) I still have a ticket dated since 16/11/2012 12:31 waiting for a backup space which was promised on the offer..

2) After migration their IP block were blacklisted at microsoft i still do not know if they resolved the issue as there is lack of communication..

3) There was a DDOS hitting one of the chicago node lasting over 8 hours downtime yesterday and this is not announced to customers via mail,twitter etc..

As being a customer more than 6 months i do not feel i am having enough communication with my provider.If you can live with that their service is average.

• MunMun Member

imperio can you pm your ip that is being blocked by microsoft. In most cases that is just because hotmail sucks and not the provider.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@imperio said: As being a customer more than 6 months i do not feel i am having enough communication with my provider.If you can live with that their service is average.

While I am aware that a community IRC channel is not a drop-in replacement for other means of communication, if you want to have more communication with BlueVM staff, it's probably a good idea to join the IRC channel (irc.obsidianirc.net #bluevm). That should keep you more up to date :)

• IpDoIpDo Member

It's centos 6.4 32bit.
    default kernel.
    tried a few other centos versions, not a change.

and no, I don't expect "world class". I expect to get what I payed for.
    and for me it means at least as a very oversold BudetVM vps.
    If the VPS is on a raid10 array, 20~mb/s I/O is just way too low.
    I choose KVM as from what i see here, they are less oversold and more steady (node wise).

@FRCorey
    I/O speed : 22.4 MB/s
    when i see something like that, for me it's a warning sign.
    I have a great vps from FRT, for other small uses. IO is 200+mb/s.
    I'll get another vps from you guys when the node troubles will be over.

@Ishaq
    Ticket #952461.

• @IpDo said: If the VPS is on a raid10 array, 20~mb/s I/O is just way too low.

Yeah, we get that. We're actually waiting until a time when nobody will notice a downtime of 2 hours and multiple staff are online to put in place SSD caching on the node. Although... 20 mbyte/s... I've not seen it go that low.

• imperioimperio Member
    edited April 2013

@joepie91 said: While I am aware that a community IRC channel is not a drop-in replacement for other means of communication, if you want to have more communication with BlueVM staff, it's probably a good idea to join the IRC channel (irc.obsidianirc.net #bluevm). That should keep you more up to date :)

Actually, i got the DDOS information via IRC channel but providing 8 hours of downtime information via mail, network status, twitter etc is way more professional imo.Providers should provide this kind of critical information before customers are seeking and IRC is so oldschool..

• @Mun said: imperio can you pm your ip that is being blocked by microsoft. In most cases that is just because hotmail sucks and not the provider.

I am absolutely sure that DDOS can happen, microsoft is evil, hardware can crash however if you do not provide further information to the customer, customer will feel that provider is not interested in what the customer is saying which i recall as lack of communication..

PS: Pm'ed you.

• Hard to say, i only have ovz with blue before.

• colmcolm Member
    edited April 2013

I'd say my worst experience with any VPS provider so far has been with BlueVM.

1) They were never able to get iptables working properly for OpenVZ.
    2) Host node kept running out of disk space.
    3) Entire VPS was once randomly "deleted by cron".

And other issues... They definitely did not seem competent enough to run a "serious" hosting business.

Needless to say I haven't had a VPS with them for a while now, maybe they've improved since I left.

• i have 2 vps with them one kvm and one openvz and they both are stable. As far as @colm it is really your responsibility to get iptables to run correctly on your your vps!??! But that is just your opinion on the rest. My question can you run a vps business better than them @colm? lol just food for thought

• imperioimperio Member
    edited April 2013

@colm said: 2) Host node kept running out of disk space.

Well , I am not sure if this was the same node but before migration to this node they told me that there is under 60gb free space left on the host node and migration to new servers will happen near soon.With this information provided to me i take the risk ( mysql have been crashed 3 times..) and continue so to be fair i can not blame them..

• colmcolm Member

@ZinnVPS OpenVZ needs to be correctly configured on the host node with iptables modules for it to work inside the VPS.

• Dealing with OpenVZ need Admin support from provider that involving activating second quotas, extra modules for iptables + csf and some love. :)

• @ZinnVPS,

On an OpenVZ node running iptables correctly is partly host's responsibility.

BlueVM is unable to enable correct iptables modules on the host node. End result, firewall is crippled inside vps.

They are still sitting on my partial refund request citing no refund in TOS. I am repeating same question to BlueVM - Did you mention in TOS that iptables will be broken inside VPS?

My request is simple - give me a fully working product or process my refund request asap.