Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

28c3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

28c3

gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
edited December 2011 in General

Hey
I was wondering if any LowEndTalk user is attending 28c3 (current hacking "convention" in Germany)?
I myself wanted to go but didn't get any tickets :(

Thanked by 1Zetta

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I have no reason to want to know anything about hacking.

• @Infinity said: I have no reason to want to know anything about hacking.

Any responsible admin needs at least some knowledge. Don't automatically associate hacking with script kiddies and dumbasses like LulzSec/etc. There are plenty of white/greyhat hackers that do a great service by helping fix vulnerabilities, informing sysadmins of network flaws, etc.

• Ethical hacking is ok but if your intentionly hacking others then that is not acceptable.

@Aldryic said: Any responsible admin needs at least some knowledge. Don't automatically associate hacking with script kiddies and dumbasses like LulzSec/etc. There are plenty of white/greyhat hackers that do a great service by helping fix vulnerabilities, informing sysadmins of network flaws, etc.

I know the basics and I know that lots of people learn hacking and stuff to secure themselves and all that but I wouldn't ever waste my time at a conference.

• @EaseVPS said: Ethical hacking is ok but if your intentionly hacking others then that is not acceptable.

Agreed

@Infinity said: I know the basics and I know that lots of people learn hacking and stuff to secure themselves and all that but I wouldn't ever waste my time at a conference.

Well this is less about an admin know about security basics, but more about people who are really interested in security stuff. Really looking forward to the "Defending mobile phones" talk in 10 minutes :)

Oh btw they have livestreams here http://events.ccc.de/congress/2011/wiki/Documentation

This wiki page might also be interesting for some people:
    http://events.ccc.de/congress/2011/wiki/FTP

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • edited December 2011

I'll be honest, I use to muddle in all this stuff before you had programs such as havij/tor. My friend actually got caught breaking into the college's server and soon after I stopped. 95% of the folk who use anonymous/lulzsec/scriptkiddynursey etc irc aren't hackers. I can understand the motive of wanting to be their boasting/looking cool etc.

• @net said: 95% of the folk who use anonymous/lulzsec/scriptkiddynursey etc irc aren't hackers.

I think anyone with knowledge will sign that.
    But the congress isn't about that stuff, its especially about things that people haven't attacked yet (Really liked the talks on "Can trains be hacked?" and "SCADA and PLC Vulnerabilities")

• @gsrd..........

Say we have bad weather in England/Germany wherever , it is technically possible for hackers to hack the gas network and cause damage/switching it off. Recently some hackers broke some mechanicial device at a water planet by cyber hacking (issues commands to quickly)..

• That feel when society misinterprets the word 'to hack'

• @net said: Recently some hackers broke some mechanicial device at a water planet by cyber hacking (issues commands to quickly)..

That is wrong.
    It turnbed out that it was just a kind of "natural" cause and an employee just logged on from Russia during his holiday which caused authorities to think that russian hackers were breaking stuff

• Nope not russia, usa will find the article later.

• I watch talks like the ones above because I find them interesting and because they can expand my knowledge :)

edited December 2011

jargondb.org said: someone who makes furniture with an axe

I'm a hacker.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited December 2011

Lulzsec were awesome, the majority of the public who knew what they were doing supported them and found it hilarious.

Script Kiddies are terrible, using off the shelf hacks that arnt really hacks.

An example of this is a GMod "Hack" called Sethhack that was ment to be undectable by servers, then a genius found a simple way to detect it, and now there's 1000s of kiddies on Facepunch crying because they got banned claiming they never used it

• @Daniel said: Lulzsec were awesome, the majority of the public who knew what they were doing supported them and found it hilarious.

They were a group of skids abusing httpd exploits and thinking they were badass for having access to booters and bringing down sites. How exactly is that a noble agenda?

• Regarding lulzsec seen as most of them got caught they were obviously pro. When I use to 'hack' I didn't ever tell anyone except a friend who also did it we didn't gloat to friends or even discuss what we had hacked.

The best hackers are those who hack something without no one realising.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2011

@net said: The best hackers are those who hack something without no one realising.

That's just cliche. Click on given URL from @sleddog above - it will give you better idea about this topic. It's not like those Hacking conventions would be for abusing knowledge but rather opposite - with sharing knowledge. Beside that it can be even fun to be there. Defcon (largest hacking conference) seems like a great fun full of interresting people from IT industry.

• @Spirit said: That's just cliche.

Not really.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2011

I understand your simplified opinion as misconception which limite you in understanding of word "hacker". But if you can do something better, more effective than we do, we would gladly see your hack. Your workaround ;-)

• edited December 2011

@Spirit your getting confused...

My point was the best hackers are those that don't get caught and people don't realise have hacked their systems until months later. Not some kids who use hidemyass vpn and gloats on twitter about what hes hacked.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited December 2011

@net said: My point was the best hackers are those that don't get caught

Probably because they don't do things that require 'catching'...

"Hack", "hacker" and "hacking" are misused terms.

• I love to follow Ec Council on the Hacking Stuff did their ethical hacking course years back but never took the exam..

I do follow such conference from time to time online.

• @Aldryic said: They were a group of skids abusing httpd exploits and thinking they were badass for having access to booters and bringing down sites. How exactly is that a noble agenda?

httpd exploits? they were running a free open source sql bruteforce tool

• @justinb said: httpd exploits?

We had a couple of their loudmouth submembers in our IRC channel for a short time that loved to brag, until they were forcefully informed that we would have no affiliation with that nonsense. Two of the sites they "exploited" and took down were old Apache bugs.