Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Block Storage??
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Block Storage??

Any recommendations for a VPS host that offers Block Storage as an addon? I don't need anything too powerful or large space. I will use it primarily for the purposes of learning more about how Block Storage works on a VPS. I know DO and Vultr offer it, but any other LEBs one could recommend?

Comments

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

What exactly do you want to know?

I've already written that function for my panel, what I basically do is create an lvm for the desired size and in the kvm's config file we give path to disk as secondary storage. We format and mount the lvm to the vm thats it. Later when you want to move it around umount it, rewrite config file of previous vps and follow same procedure for new except this time you're not formatting it ( depends on user input )

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

DreamCompute. Each account comes with 100GB block storage to share among your VMs, and then each VM has 80GB local SSD storage. $4.50/mo for the smallest plan but it's hourly billed, so you can attach, launch, detach, destroy and play with block storage for cheap.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

OVH has block storage as well.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Vultr will give you 50GB of storage free with your account...only in New Jersey. It's because of their beta and that will eventually end, but you could play for free other than the $5/mo for the smallest VM (768M).

Of course, if you're just playing, at 10c/month you could spin up a few GB on DO for pennies.

Really, there isn't much to learn. If you just want to learn disk admin, RAID, LVM, etc., try virtualbox on your home PC or laptop and add/remove disks. But if you want to write API stuff, that's different.

There's also Amazon Free Tier.

Thanked by 1AdamM
  • @raindog308 said:
    Really, there isn't much to learn. If you just want to learn disk admin, RAID, LVM, etc., try virtualbox on your home PC or laptop and add/remove disks.

There's also Amazon Free Tier.

Yep it is mostly to learn about disk admin, mounting on boot, etc. Virtualbox may be the way to go.

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

Lunanode

• raindog308 said: Really, there isn't much to learn. If you just want to learn disk admin, RAID, LVM, etc., try virtualbox on your home PC or laptop and add/remove disks. But if you want to write API stuff, that's different.

I'd second this, or a cheap dedi with IPMI is a good way to learn.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

AdamM said: Yep it is mostly to learn about disk admin, mounting on boot, etc. Virtualbox may be the way to go.

You may not even need Virtualbox. You might google for the loop driver on Linux. It comes with the OS. You can take use dd to create a bunch of empty files, then have the OS treat them as disks and you can RAID them, etc.

Not saying this is the best tut but it was the first one I googled that looked like it had the basic idea:

http://www.slashroot.in/how-create-raid-loop-devices-and-lvm-over-top-raid

Of course, with Virtualbox you create disks outside the OS, so really there are lots of options.

Or spend $5/mo with Vultr LOL