Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ventrilo setup instructions for vps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ventrilo setup instructions for vps

huntercophuntercop Member
edited November 2016 in Tutorials

Does anyone know where I can find instructions on how to set up ventrilo on a vps? The tutorials from about 6 months+ all over the internet do not seem to be working anymore :/

I won't answer.. but here is my vote!
  1. Do you know where to find valid instructions?16 votes
    1. Duh... who's asking?
      18.75%
    2. Figure it out on your own
      12.50%
    3. Who the hell still uses Ventrilo you little shit!
      68.75%

Comments

• hzrhzr Member
    edited November 2016

Who the hell still uses Ventrilo you little shit!

(Semi serious this is the first time I have heard it mentioned and I have played games since I was a little kid)

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Teamspeak! Discord!!

Thanked by 1HyperSpeed
  • @MikeA said:
    Teamspeak! Discord!!

Teamspeak is very easy to install and setup if you want to host your own @cheapwebdev

• @Gravely said:

@MikeA said:
    Teamspeak! Discord!!

Teamspeak is very easy to install and setup if you want to host your own @cheapwebdev

I saw the tutorial on LEB today and plan to check it out. I like have used ventrilo my entire life and know its functions inside and out.

• Any reason you are not referring to the official documentation and simply going from there? http://www.ventrilo.com/setup.php#Server_Installing

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • So I have been looking into TeamSpeak 3 and aim to install it sometime near Thanksgiving and explore its functions. Ventrilo has an 8 slot limit when you install it on your own server. Can someone verify if we have unlimited slots on our own person server for TeamSpeak 3? I am not asking if is sustainable, just to verify the limit.

https://support.teamspeakusa.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/308/0/virtual-server-and-slot-limitation-per-instance

• You have 32 slots w/ teamspeak. You can apply for a NPL for 500 slots I believe.

• @Yoda said:
    You have 32 slots w/ teamspeak. You can apply for a NPL for 500 slots I believe.

Can I apply for more as an individual in any way?

• cheapwebdev said: Can I apply for more as an individual in any way?

Yes, you can apply there are some requirements that you need to meet in order to get a NPL license, the ones I remember from 1 year ago was that you had a valid web site with dinamyc content, anyway take a look here: http://sales.teamspeakusa.com/licensing.php

• @rivermigue said:

cheapwebdev said: Can I apply for more as an individual in any way?

The ones I remember from 1 year ago was that you had a valid web site with dinamyc content

Not sure if the site need to work as I got a npl for a non working website a few months back.

• So please confirm my understanding.. I can apply for NPL even without an official registered entity? Say I want to get it for a group of online gamers for when we get together to talk and coordinate our strategy?

• cheapwebdev said: So please confirm my understanding.. I can apply for NPL even without an official registered entity? Say I want to get it for a group of online gamers for when we get together to talk and coordinate our strategy?

You can since NPL are for Gaming groups, Communities, Non profit organizations, etc. You will have to contact them for an updated requirement on NPL licenses.

• Mumble took 5 minutes to install and I did it on a NAT server for 3 bucks per year. Just sayin'

• @thagoat said:
    Mumble took 5 minutes to install and I did it on a NAT server for 3 bucks per year. Just sayin'

I intend to install it when I get back from my current trip.

• @cheapwebdev said:
    So please confirm my understanding.. I can apply for NPL even without an official registered entity? Say I want to get it for a group of online gamers for when we get together to talk and coordinate our strategy?

I went through this and the process is not so easy as it used to be. There are a lot of conditions (some do not make any sense). From what I remember:

You have to have your own web-site (2nd level domain) with corresponding mail-account on the same domain (free mail-services a'ka google-mail are not permitted). The web-site must be active (content, users, etc) and absolutely clean with no "advertising". Any commercial activity automatically disqualify you for NPL.

If your website has link to other fellow group, it is considered commercial. If you host some files on free on-line services (i.e. pictures on dropbox), your web is considered commercial. If you have embedded youtube-videos, your website is considered commercial. Etc, etc.

The way TS-staff handles applications is at best "rough": you simply get auto-response bullshit like "your website does not qualify you for NPL". That's it. No explanation, nothing. You can ask where the problem is, but you get no answer. The only thing you can do is to try it again, with new website, new contact, etc.

• @MikeA said:
    Teamspeak! Discord!!

Lovely Discord...

"By uploading, distributing, transmitting or otherwise using Your Data with the Services, you grant to us a nonexclusive, transferable, royalty-free, sublicensable, and worldwide license to use Your Data, subject to the Company’s Privacy Policy."

You forgot Mumble by the way.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@HolyCactus said:

@MikeA said:
    Teamspeak! Discord!!

Lovely Discord...

"By uploading, distributing, transmitting or otherwise using Your Data with the Services, you grant to us a nonexclusive, transferable, royalty-free, sublicensable, and worldwide license to use Your Data, subject to the Company’s Privacy Policy."

So you assume that they record every conversation on storage servers and sell the voice data? If not, I don't understand. Isn't Discord meant for voice chat mainly?

• @MikeA said:

@HolyCactus said:

@MikeA said:
    Teamspeak! Discord!!

Lovely Discord...

So you assume that they record every conversation on storage servers and sell the voice data? If not, I don't understand. Isn't Discord meant for voice chat mainly?

Well what happens usually is the majority of users end up using the text chat which also allows you to share images/videos.
    That's easy to store. Also remember that they are paying for servers by selling stickers. I keep paying for my servers with money, guess I need to get into the sticker game.

Thanked by 1zrunner