Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rackburst VPS has been down for over 48 hours and no response from support. Advice/also affected?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Rackburst VPS has been down for over 48 hours and no response from support. Advice/also affected?

Hi,

I've got a Rackburst VPS in Frankfurt and it has been down since around 2pm on Sunday. I've opened 3 support tickets, sent 2 emails, and called ABPNI (Rackburst parent company) twice, all resulting in no answer. I can ping its IP and usually get a response, although with high latency but ssh does not work.
To add to this I cannot access the control panel for my VPS on the site, even though after buying a new VPS from Rackburst for testing purposes the control panel for the new one worked fine.

As my emails are hosted on this VPS I am in quite a difficult situation.
Does anyone have any advice or is anyone else affected by this issue?

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

step 1, change your mx to another mail server.

step 2, find another company to use.

step 3, hope they do eventually sort it out so you can get your data (I assume you have no backups or you would have done steps 1 and 2 already)

step 4, ask for a full refund of your last payment.

step 5, setup a redundant mx and backups so you are never in this situation again.

Thanked by 2ivan_holmes doghouch
  • @AnthonySmith
    I have backups of the sites hosted and my emails, but you're correct that I don't have full backups of the server. Thanks for your advice.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited November 2016

Unfortunately this is a common trend with @Jonny_Rackulous , he disappears when there are issues or just doesn't pay attention enough to know that things are down. I have had a server in UK with them since they were Evorack and I personally haven't used it in production for a year because of similar issues in the past with them.

Generally things there work, till they don't. Then you end up waiting up to a few weeks for them to even bother to answer a ticket. I have heckled him here quite roundly in the past about this type of behavior and how it looks to customers, to no avail.

In the end, I hate to say it, but there are a lot better hosts out there, even listed here on LET, that would be much more willing to help you out when issues occur. I would suggest looking for a new host and moving on.

My suggestion if you are using the German location would be to look into UltraVPS (Providerservice) as they have really good support and a really well maintained network.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

As @AnthonySmith Said I would find a new host and set things up there as soon as you can. There is no reason for a host not to respond.

Thanked by 1ivan_holmes
  • @TheLinuxBug Thanks for your suggestion, will definitely look into it as I think I'll just get a new VPS tonight. I've had a few slow response issues with Rackburst before but this is ridiculous, I will be getting every penny back from PayPal that I possibly can.
    I have seen many of your previous posts directed towards @Jonny_Rackulous and I can only congratulate you for this since he does seem pretty feckless, not the sort of person you would want to trust for an essential service.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited November 2016

@ivan_holmes I just want to mention something to you before you end up mad.

I read your wall post on @Jonny_Rackulous 's account here and I am just going to tell you right now, most providers here if you open a Paypal dispute will immediately use this as a reason to terminate all your accounts and stop doing business with you. I understand you are frustrated that they didn't respond, but in most cases this doesn't turn out well for the person who opens a dispute and expects to still retain services.

I am not saying what they are doing is right by not getting back to you, but if you did open a dispute I would not bet on getting access to your services again. If you don't have a back-up I would say you just put your self in a messed up situation cause I highly doubt you will be given access to that server again now, even if they get to your ticket and are able to correct the issue.

If you haven't already, I would suggest you move to another provider.

Also, DO NOT CLOSE THE DISPUTE NOW. If you close it you WILL NOT be able to reopen it, and if they don't end up getting back to you, you will be out your money as well as your services.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• ivan_holmesivan_holmes Member
    edited November 2016

@TheLinuxBug Just opened an account with UltraVPS, great recommendation especially as it's KVM, it actually ends up cheaper for me than what I had at Rackburst for essentially the same specs. How long do they take to get the account opened?

To be honest, the data held on the Rackburst VPS is not massively important, it's just a bit of a pain to get it all set up again. At this point I am just expecting to get the money back and move on; I've lost all faith in Rackburst.

Thanks for the heads-up though!

• Just thought I'd say that I'm now configuring my new server from Providerservice. Very fast and efficient so far.

Thanked by 1UltraVPS
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

RackBurst...maybe the main problem is leaking breast implants.

• ivan_holmes said: Just thought I'd say that I'm now configuring my new server from Providerservice. Very fast and efficient so far.

Can't go wrong with ProviderService.

Thanked by 1ivan_holmes
  • @raindog308 Probably about the same level of quality tbh