Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Memory Usage - Webmin/SolusVM/Free -m
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Memory Usage - Webmin/SolusVM/Free -m

ahmiqahmiq Member
edited April 2013 in General

Hi ,
I am a new learner of Linux. I have a box. I am really confused about some stuff about the memory. I have a 1 gb ram and 1.5 GB Burst ram. My webmin shows: 1.50 GB total, 729.38 MB used , While on the vps with free -m gives me the following:

[root@server ~]# free -m

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 1536 1357 178 0 0 629
-/+ buffers/cache: 727 808
Swap: 0 0 0

In solusVM also shows almost the same.
Can anyone please guide me in the correct direction and tell me which one should i follow.

regards
Ahmiq

Comments

• udkudk Member

I think you should be looking at first column of buffers/cache (727) as the one above includes memory that can be easily freed if needed somewhere else.

• Look normal. How about installing htop.

• ahmiqahmiq Member

@udk : thanks for your comment. webmin is also showing the same i guess

@budingyun : thanks for letting me know about htop. htop is currently showing 715mb / 1.5 gb ram. so it is the same as webmin. I was worried as i thought i am using more then allocated ram( 1 GB ram and 1.5 GB Burst )

It got me worried because i thought i am using more ram from what is allocated to me as showed in the SoluVM panel ---> 1.19 GB of 1.5 GB Used / 315.68 MB Free

• @ahmiq said: @udk : thanks for your comment. webmin is also showing the same i guess

@budingyun : thanks for letting me know about htop. htop is currently showing 715mb / 1.5 gb ram. so it is the same as webmin. I was worried as i thought i am using more then allocated ram( 1 GB ram and 1.5 GB Burst )

It got me worried because i thought i am using more ram from what is allocated to me as showed in the SoluVM panel ---> 1.19 GB of 1.5 GB Used / 315.68 MB Free

-/+ buffers/cache: Isn't real ram used, Its just CACHe'd, And will be freed UP when needed.

• udkudk Member

@RuneServer said: -/+ buffers/cache: Isn't real ram used, Its just CACHe'd, And will be freed UP when needed.

...it IS being used, just for "non-essential" tasks ;-)

• ahmiqahmiq Member

@udk : so i am on the safe side? with this?

i am not oversuing my 1 gb ram? as the burst ram , i think can be only yused when requred for small amount of times

• ahmiqahmiq Member
    edited April 2013

@MikHo Thanks , Very helpful explanation ,

I kept on restarting my server again and again :/ and was looking for ALL sort of optimization duh :/ thanks everyone.