Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you use a VPS VPN host for?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you use a VPS VPN host for?

AverageGuyAverageGuy Member
edited April 2013 in Help

My only exposure to VPN is to let my local computer act like it's a part of a remote network. Basically a bridge I think. I see a number of people getting small VPS systems and run OpenVPN. What exactly are they using it for? Obviously not to bridge into a LAN at the VPS site.

Just curious.

Comments

• JacobJacob Member
    edited April 2013

Do you mean what are they using VPNs for..?

It can be loads of things, but the majority of people needing VPNs are chinese, they need it to bypass the chinese firewall, and other people use it for watching/downloading things that are IP Address Country specific, iPlayer, etc..

• AverageGuyAverageGuy Member
    edited April 2013

Yes. Can it act as a bridge to another network? I can't see how or why.

• pcanpcan Member

...or they want to watch BBC iPlayer from outside GB.

• So you're saying it's a proxy? Sort of?

• BenediktBenedikt Member
    edited April 2013

@AverageGuy said: So you're saying it's a proxy?

It is! I'm using @UGVPS for my US-based VPN and it's just great. Good network and friendly support. I do know that the US aren't the best place to hide my surfing activity but it's way better than using my normal ISP and letting them know what I'm doing. It's also great for using hulu or other streaming sites.

• i want to watch hulu :)
    but if i use my panasonic tv , i don't need it

• VPS VPN is good for ensuring your privacy. Especially on this site where the first time you complain the provider hordes will add you to their slaughter list and hunt you down like an animal.

• superpilesossuperpilesos Member
    edited April 2013

I use a vpn because my isp is bad. vpn can take 20-30ms off the ping to US and increase website loading speeds and (single thread)file download speeds by 2-3x
    also censorship. you know freedom is gone when sites are getting blocked and the remaining sites are run through a proxy

• Another thing I forgot to mention is that some ISPs here in Germany are limiting access to YouTube. It's unbelievable slow and most famous videos are blocked due to copyright issues. Horrific.

• ScrewTube is equally messed up and stomped on in the US. Some sh!t peering from Gaggle in spots and QoS stomped overloaded connects.

So much for 1Gbps Gagonit fiber... Can't even get YouTube to feed data at 5Mbps most times.... Perhaps that's the sale model. We control all your bases. Subscribe or suffer the slow drip delivery.

• at office I use vpn to protect my privacy.
    at home I use vpn to bypass the GFW(the great firewall). yes, I am from China.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

To make websites think I'm from somewhere I'm not.

• Use vpn on public wifi to encrypt traffic.

• trelawneytrelawney Member
    edited April 2013

What @pcan said :) iPlayer for me mother-in-law, and privacy when at work.

• MunMun Member

Mcdonalds free wifi

• MakenaiMakenai Member
    edited April 2013

I mostly use it to encrypt traffic, while using public wireless networks,it also allows me to access ports which are usually blocked at university. It has lower ping to UK and USA.

• Thank you all for enlightening me.