Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Server Locations
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Server Locations

PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
edited April 2013 in Providers

Hello,

I've been doing some research and I require a west coast dedicated server location.

At the moment, I'm either looking at Seattle, Los Angeles or Phoenix. I know of the following providers so far:

Seattle - None
Los Angeles - GorillaServers, WebNX
Phoenix - SecuredServers, ServerHub (Infinitie)

Also, does anybody know any good inland location providers (Dallas, Kansas, Denver, Chicago)?

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Comments

• marcmmarcm Member

@dominicl I have seen Server Mania (http://www.servermania.com/) advertising around here and their pricing seems pretty decent, plus they use ColoCrossing as their data center. I don't know if they collocate or not, but I think that they are a good place to start.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

There are tons of providers, pretty much youve narrowed the list to... a couple of hundred with your "requirements"

• jhjh Member
    edited April 2013

Why are you looking for west coast? If I were you I would look for a niche location. You need to do something to set yourself apart.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

Hello,

@marcm said: @dominicl I have seen Server Mania (http://www.servermania.com/) advertising around here and their pricing seems pretty decent, plus they use ColoCrossing as their data center. I don't know if they collocate or not, but I think that they are a good place to start.

I've got a VPS with them, they're great. They're a small team but they do actually reply to tickets within 15-20 minutes as advertised (not that I've needed to contact them much). They're in Buffalo which is quite close to my current Piscataway, NJ location to be honest.
    I've got an east coast location (Piscataway, NJ) and need a west coast location. I'm also looking at options inland (Chicago, Denver, Dallas, Kansas) as those locations are quite popular too.

@Alex_LiquidHost said: There are tons of providers, pretty much youve narrowed the list to... a couple of hundred with your "requirements"

Yeah, I understand that there are tons of providers in Seattle, LA and Phoenix. However, there must be some providers that are "recommended". I don't want a really budget provider, or a really high end provider. I want somewhere in the middle (like SecuredServers and Server Mania for example).

Thanks guys.

@jhadley said: Why are you looking for west coast? If I were you I would look for a niche location. You need to do something to set yourself apart.

Hey James,

I understand that I should go somewhere that there aren't a lot of providers already in. However, if you look at the WHT server request threads, they're all generally in known locations (i.e. New York/Phoenix)

• marcmmarcm Member

@dominicl - are you starting a web hosting business?

• jhjh Member
    edited April 2013

@dominicl said: WHT server request threads, they're all generally in known locations (i.e. New York/Phoenix)

That forum you're banned from and therefore can't post the fluff the rest of us post?

Hello,

@marcm said: @dominicl - are you starting a web hosting business?

Read my other thread from just over a week ago. Not going to explain again.

@jhadley said: That forum you're banned from and therefore can't post the fluff the rest of us post?

If the WHT mods hadn't presumed something that wasn't true then that wouldn't have happened. The WHT mods just don't believe what I have to say, therefore I don't want to post on their forum. I still look at the posts on it, just don't post on it myself.

• Is it getting near summer recess or something? Another VPS company @domicicl.

Allahcrossing has space in Seattle. Supposedly.

Latency in those locations, well ho hum.. Fine for US West Coast.... Okay if you are Asian-centric hosting... Aside from that.... Blah.

• jhjh Member

@dominicl said: If the WHT mods hadn't presumed something that wasn't true then that wouldn't have happened. The WHT mods just don't believe what I have to say, therefore I don't want to post on their forum. I still look at the posts on it, just don't post on it myself.

You've missed my point. I was referring to the demand you perceived at that location, that you can't service.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

You should team up with Radi, lol :D

edited April 2013

Hello,

@pubcrawler said: Is it getting near summer recess or something? Another VPS company @domicicl.

No it's not. Just read my other thread if you need to know more.

@pubcrawler said: Allahcrossing has space in Seattle. Supposedly.

Will have a look at them.

Basically, what I'm trying to achieve is quite simply this:
    3 "spread out" dedi locations. Originally I was thinking: 1xEast Coast US, 1xWest Coast US, 1xEU (UK, NL)

@jhadley said: You've missed my point. I was referring to the demand you perceived at that location, that you can't service.

I never posted on WHT, I'm not sure if I'm understanding you sorry. I was referring to the posts in the dedicated server section on WHT asking for recommendations on locations. They are generally Phoenix, LA, New York or EU which are quite popular locations.

@Alex_LiquidHost said: You should team up with Radi, lol :D

Please, no.

• 3 "spread out" dedi locations.

Yeah that is a good approach. Really.

@24khost is one provider that has similar rollout that works well and good locations... Give a look at those locations, been real impressed with all of them, except Vegas/Fiberhub and the 133ms ping times from me to them....

• jhjh Member

@dominicl said: 3 "spread out" dedi locations. Originally I was thinking: 1xEast Coast US, 1xWest Coast US, 1xEU (UK, NL)

How long can you afford to pay for that?

@dominicl said: I'm not sure if I'm understanding you sorry.

Nope. Don't worry.

edited April 2013

Hello,

@pubcrawler said: Yeah that is a good approach. Really.

Wow, I've never heard that before. I've actually thought of something that's reasonable! Haha.

@pubcrawler said: @24khost is one provider that has similar rollout that works well and good locations... Give a look at those locations, been real impressed with all of them, except Vegas/Fiberhub and the 133ms ping times from me to them....

I don't especially like VersaWeb/Fiberhub to be honest. I had a dedicated server with them and I wanted IP's and they wanted to charge some stupid set up fee (which was mentioned nowhere on their site/offer). I'll take a look though, thx.

@jhadley said: How long can you afford to pay for that?

This isn't for VPS's, it's for dedicated servers. (reselling type deal, however hopefully integrated with billing system)

• I can recommend secured servers. If you want a whole host of reasons PM me.

Hello,

@ShardHost said: I can recommend secured servers. If you want a whole host of reasons PM me.

Long story with them; basically I had a server with them which wasn't working as expected so I asked them if I could upgrade it to a different server. They then said they didn't want me making t hat change, cancelled the server, and said "you can't purchase anything from us". Kind of the same with Hostdime and 6Sync (slightly different with them). I'm really not sure why. With HD and 6S, it was when I was young, less mature, and my voice hadn't broken then either (so it was a long time ago).

I reckon I can get back with secured servers though, so feel free to let me know the reasons if you want :) Or I will PM you.

• Fiberhub

I am not recommending the facility until some other provider(s) show up in the mix. 133ms is unreasonable latency.

Non peak now so it dropped from 133ms to 94-108ms... Not happy there to say the least.

GorillaServers was speedy last time I checked them... Something was odd about their network... Single homed? I forget.

• Hello Domincl, not to say you are wrong here, but that doesn't sound like the customer service that I've experienced with them.

PM on it's way

edited April 2013

Hi,

@pubcrawler said: I am not recommending the facility until some other provider(s) show up in the mix. 133ms is unreasonable latency.

I get a high latency to FH too, but that's because I'm a long way away from them (just over 180ms).

@pubcrawler said: GorillaServers was speedy last time I checked them... Something was odd about their network... Single homed? I forget.

I purchased an E3 a while ago from them, but said I had to make my first payment via wire transfer which I couldn't do at the time so didn't go ahead with it. That should be possible now though - I believe they're in the WebNX datacenter but have their own network.

@ShardHost said: Hello Domincl, not to say you are wrong here, but that doesn't sound like the customer service that I've experienced with them.

I'm guessing it's just because I'd made quite a few changes and they didn't think it was worth their time. However, if I'm actually looking to resell, they may allow me back (waiting for TJ to get back to me)

• marcmmarcm Member

@dominicl said: Read my other thread from just over a week ago. Not going to explain again.

@dominicl
    A "yes or no" would have sufficed. You are not that important that I would waste my time searching for your threads or posts, so quit acting like snob.

• I believe they're in the WebNX datacenter but have their own network.

That's my understanding from last time I tried Gorilla.

edited April 2013

Hello,

A "yes or no" would have sufficed. You are not that important that I would waste my time searching for your threads or posts, so quit acting like snob.

I'm sorry? I didn't mean to be rude. I just thought you might want to read the full thread as I posted an extremely long thread about everything and it saves me changing the topic of this thread. I may not be important and that's fine.

@pubcrawler said: That's my understanding from last time I tried Gorilla.

Yeah, apparantely they have their own support team and stuff, just in the WebNX DC.

• marcmmarcm Member

@dominicl said: Long story with them; basically I had a server with them which wasn't working as expected so I asked them if I could upgrade it to a different server. They then said they didn't want me making t hat change, cancelled the server, and said "you can't purchase anything from us".

@dominicl - Assuming you're talking about Secured Servers, can you please post some actual evidence, including some names, emails, even live chat scripts? I would like to know who over there at Secured Servers treated you so badly because if you can produce some evidence I will talk to the manager on Monday.

• marcmmarcm Member

@dominicl said: I'm sorry? I didn't mean to be rude. I just thought you might want to read the full thread as I posted an extremely long thread about everything and it saves me changing the topic of this thread. I may not be important and that's fine.

@domincl - at the very least you could have provided a link...

• Dallas = Corexchange and Colo4
    Kansas City = Wholesale/Datashack. There is another company who posts on here or has that is interesting and in both KC and DFW. Sorry for forgetting who....

Chicago, blech! Seattle, blech!

NY = Constant/Choopa.

I am partial to 3 US spread. Funky routing all over the place... Unsure you end intent though.

Hello,

@marcm said: @dominicl - Assuming you're talking about Secured Servers, can you please post some actual evidence, including some names, emails, even live chat scripts? I would like to know who over there at Secured Servers treated you so badly because if you can produce some evidence I will talk to the manager on Monday.

I wouldn't say they treated me badly. I think they just got bored of the changes I wanted to make to my servers (2-3 in ~24 hours at the time). I think that's the reason. And I had some servers with them then cancelled after a month (2, on 2 different occasions I believe). I think they thought it was best if I "took a break" from them.

Hopefully, now, they will let me back. I've sent an email over to TJ and will discuss this with him.

@marcm said: @domincl - at the very least you could have provided a link...

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/9456/

@pubcrawler said: Dallas = Corexchange and Colo4 (continued)

Will look at your suggestions, thanks!

• @marcm said: @dominicl - Assuming you're talking about Secured Servers, can you please post some actual evidence, including some names, emails, even live chat scripts? I would like to know who over there at Secured Servers treated you so badly because if you can produce some evidence I will talk to the manager on Monday.

Agreed, we've been with them since 2011 for various things. Have 30 nodes that have been happily chugging away.

• marcmmarcm Member

@domincl - In Dallas there is also Limestone Networks http://www.limestonenetworks.com/

This -> http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/9456/ = TL;DR

So, are you or are you not starting a hosting business?

edited April 2013

Hi,

@ShardHost said: Agreed, we've been with them since 2011 for various things. Have 30 nodes that have been happily chugging away.

As above, their customer service has been always good, but personally I think they had a valid reason at the time.

@dominicl said: I wouldn't say they treated me badly. I think they just got bored of the changes I wanted to make to my servers (2-3 in ~24 hours at the time). I think that's the reason. And I had some servers with them then cancelled after a month (2, on 2 different occasions I believe). I think they thought it was best if I "took a break" from them.

Hopefully, now, they will let me back. I've sent an email over to TJ and will discuss this with him.

@marcm said: So, are you or are you not starting a hosting business?

As per that thread, I am. I agree it's long but it was straight and to the point with the reasoning, etc and what I had done, behind it.