Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comcast and Century Link Help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Comcast and Century Link Help

GeeneGeene Member
edited November 2016 in General

I currently have comcast and century link at home for my server room connection or servers I personally built. The only problem I am having is connect them to the internet/ethernet. I want to have a blend of comcast and century link I have a router and switch and about 4 cabinets full of servers but I'm not sure how to obtain IPv4 and such. Would I need my own IP block or would I need to contact comcast or century link?

I have a 150mbps connection with comcast and a 100Mbps connection with Century Link.

Comments

• StealthyHostingStealthyHosting Member, Host Rep

Do you have enterprise class services with BGP?

• @StealthyHosting said:

Not that I know of just the basic home connections with a few upgrades for speed. I know I can get something like that with comcast after speaking with them today but century link does not support higher than 150Mbps speeds in my area or higher internet enterprise plans.

• edited November 2016

Might help, Centurylink BGP Policies: http://www.centurylinkservices.net/faq.php#BGPreq

Thanked by 1Geene
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Geene said:

@StealthyHosting said:

Not that I know of just the basic home connections with a few upgrades for speed.

Waiting for offers...

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Well, I don't think any serious ISP will give you BGP on home connection unless as a backup to the main leased line with them.

Additionally, speed of such uplink is not guaranteed and likely filtered so you won't be able to send any packets with source address not matching the one they assigned to you.

As such, it won't work. Prepare to increase your budget by multiplier of 20 at least, that's if your home is connected to the carrier network already ;-).

Good luck!

Thanked by 1Geene
  • tomletomle Member, LIR

You could use for example a Ubiquiti Edgerouter to load-balance outgoing connections over two WAN circuits. But that won't solve your incoming traffic.

If you want your own IPv4 space, true dual ISP setup, then it's going to be expensive.

• You'll need to contact them for a business plan. Most residential ISPs don't allow hosting and they'll cut you off.

Thanked by 1Geene
  • How in the world did you get 100 mbps on Centurylink? Do you have fiber or something? I'd love to dump Cox but can't get over 40 mbps on Centurylink in Phoenix.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@Geene You cannot do what you want to do with residential connections.

Thanked by 1Geene
  • Damian said: How in the world did you get 100 mbps on Centurylink? Do you have fiber or something? I'd love to dump Cox but can't get over 40 mbps on Centurylink in Phoenix.

Centurylink does 1G/1G in Seattle at least.

• @hzr said:

Damian said: How in the world did you get 100 mbps on Centurylink? Do you have fiber or something? I'd love to dump Cox but can't get over 40 mbps on Centurylink in Phoenix.

Centurylink does 1G/1G in Seattle at least.

Some places they have horrible service hopefully it changes when the merge with Level3.

• @Geene said:
    Some places they have horrible service hopefully it changes when the merge with Level3.

Sadly not, L3 is almost all long haul.