Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UK Migration Annoucement
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

UK Migration Annoucement

UGVPSUGVPS Member
edited April 2013 in Providers

The following email was just sent out to all UK customers of UGVPS, i am posting a copy of this email on LET for those who may not have received it for whatever reason.

sigh Guess it was only a matter of time. UKServers has now nullrouted all of our IPs as the attacker started attacking the entire range. FWIW the attack was large enough to create a massive impact towards the Coventry network.

===============
UK Clients,

Our records show that you have one or more VPS with UGVPS located in the UK. You may or may not have noticed your VPS being offline most of today while we worked to evaluate our options to remedy the situation. We are regretfully announcing that due to issues out of our control, we are forced to cease operations in our UK location and we're offering existing UK customers the option to migrate to one of our other hosting site locations:

• Los Angeles, CA
  • Chicago, IL
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Buffalo, NY

Buffalo, NY is a new location we introduced today in light of the fact that we are discontinuing UK, this is because Buffalo offers the best latency and connectivity to Europe and the UK compared to the rest of our locations. For this reason we highly recommend our new Buffalo location but what location you wish to be migrated to is entirely up to you.

If you are active on web hosting forums, you would be aware that a large number of VPS Hosts selling budget VPS located in the UK have been a target, it was only about time before they started targetting UGVPS and i'm actually surprised we were able to go this long with our UK location without being hit. Unfortunately today, I started noticing attacks over 1.2Gbit in size (and increasing) targeted towards both of our UK nodes. The malicious part about the attack is that the attack automatically moves on to attack different IPs across the IP range, which then forced our provider (UKServers) to nullroute all of our IP addresses in the UK.

A disgruntled competitor offering VPS services out of the UK is going around and attacking all budget providers selling VPS in the UK, and this malicious plan inevitably worked, since over half a dozen other providers were either forced to migrate services out of the UK, and some were left with no option but to retire from the hosting industry and sell their company due to UK being the vast majority of their client base.

Good news - UGVPS is here to stay as we are committed to our customers! We are not going anywhere and won't let a competitor stop us from our success, we are offering you the option to be migrated to one of our 4 hosting locations mentioned above. Additionally our servers in the aforementioned locations will provide much better performance than your current UK VPS since those nodes are on E3v2's AND RAID-10 SSD Cached drives.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL AS IT WILL NOT BE READ. Please open a support ticket at https://www.ugvps.com/submitticket.php and let us know your location choice, and also state whether you'd just like to be recreated and spawned up a fresh instance in the new location, or if you also need us to migrate the data for you. IP changes will be required so please prepare accordingly. If you require us to migrate your data, it may take a little while as all of our nodes are currently inaccessible as UKServers nullrouted all of our IP addresses due to the large scale attack, but the data will be retrievable. Please contact us with how you'd like to proceed within 72 hours to ensure a smooth transition.

I sincerely apologize about the headache this may have caused, please be re-assured that this is completely out of our control, and UGVPS is not the only provider affected by this unfortunate ordeal going around with UK hosts. We look forward to putting an end to this and continuing to provide quality VPS hosting services to you.

Thank you for being a valued customer of UGVPS, your patience and understanding while we work through this incident is highly appreciated.

-Crystal
Unique Geek - UGVPS
===============

Comments

• You should look into getting other EU locations, as many people can't or don't want to move their servers outside of the EU.

• UGVPSUGVPS Member

@MrAndroid said: You should look into getting other EU locations, as many people can't or don't want to move their servers outside of the EU.

We are considering this and currently talking with a couple providers, but at the moment our priority is getting our clients back online as fast as possible.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

That must have been a tough call to make, looks like you're keeping your clients well informed.

• We can offer you space in our colo in Germany if you need it. Ding me an email if you wish to talk, tis a sad day indeed we chose to leave as it would be better on RS's part, our part, and certainly better for clients.

Let me know if we can help

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@MrAndroid said: You should look into getting other EU locations, as many people can't or don't want to move their servers outside of the EU.

+1

• What's wrong with UK... sigh

• Conspiracy : Wrong with UK, or east coast DC wanna sell their space ?

• What the fuck is going on there? How can they shut down one provider after another without anyone being able to stop them?
    I want a VPS in the UK so badly but I have been moved out there three times now :(

• DeanDean Member

@UGVPS - I got the e-Mail. Can we hold on deciding until we know if you get any other non-US locations?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@DeanClinton said: I got the e-Mail. Can we hold on deciding until we know if you get any other non-US locations?

Well my guess would be that you can wait as long as you want as long as you dont mind being offline completely while you decide :p, I would suggest you just pick Buffalo, NY which will offer the better latency to EU and then you can move back to EU if that becomes an option later.

just my 2 pennies.

• @Shigawire said: What the fuck is going on there? How can they shut down one provider after another without anyone being able to stop them?

I want a VPS in the UK so badly but I have been moved out there three times now :(

Cost to risk ratio my friend. We looked at the possibility of getting a 10Gb port - Just not possible.

• DeanDean Member

@AnthonySmith - I have too many US locations as it is... http://www.serverup.org/
    My VPS with @UGVPS is a DNS one, and I have 14 DNS servers, so 1 being offline isn't going to make a huge impact ;)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I guess my point is more that is has to go somewhere regardless, they wont just be keeping the UK server to store those that want to hang on, if you don't pick, a location will be picked for you I would imagine and it only takes 15 - 20 minutes to move you again after that if EU is an option.

• Ouch, another UK 'LEB' host is gone...

• RophRoph Member

@UGVPS said: A disgruntled competitor offering VPS services out of the UK is going around and attacking all budget providers selling VPS in the UK

Who/which?

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited April 2013

@Roph said: Who/which?

Yeah, only if it was that easy to find out and just point names publicly.

• Who's behind all of these?

• So ... from the comments i understand that if i choose another UK provider, from LEB or LET offers, same will happen?

Currenlty considering my options, either Buffalo ... or another provider in EU. But i also loved to have UK ip address :(

• @gerasalus said: So ... from the comments i understand that if i choose another UK provider, from LEB or LET offers, same will happen?

Possibly but in reality there will always be 1-2 standing at the end but I sincerely hope karma hits back so hard to whomever is doing/did this to us, ugvps and many others.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited April 2013

@gerasalus said: So ... from the comments i understand that if i choose another UK provider, from LEB or LET offers, same will happen?

Currenlty considering my options, either Buffalo ... or another provider in EU. But i also loved to have UK ip address :(

HTTPZoom seemed to withstand their attack with minimal problems. There are a number of other UK hosts that don't seem to have had any hassle at all.

• So .. anyone has any offers in Europe? 1gb-1.5gb of ram ?

• @gerasalus We have 1.5GB ovz for $4.25 in germany

• RophRoph Member
    edited April 2013

@Nekki said: HTTPZoom seemed to withstand their attack with minimal problems. There are a number of other UK hosts that don't seem to have had any hassle at all.

This - hoping I don't jinx anything, but I haven't noticed problems with my UK LEBs yet.

• jhjh Member

@gerasalus might be able to do something if you don't need much disk.

• @Patrick said: Yeah, only if it was that easy to find out and just point names publicly.

It's getting more and more obvious as the number of hosts reduce. Just look at who's remaining, who hasn't gotten attacked and who's withstanding all these attacks. Who's benefiting from all this? If it was a host, it must be another lowend host to care about this market if it's really targeted.

• Have all of these issues affected particular DCs/locations within the UK?

What size of attacks have people experienced (incl PPS)? Is it just 1gbps pipes that are being saturated or 10gbps?

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited April 2013

@ShardHost said: Have all of these issues affected particular DCs/locations within the UK?

What size of attacks have people experienced (incl PPS)? Is it just 1gbps pipes that are being saturated or 10gbps?

I believe attacks started with multiple hosts in RapidSwitch (Maidenhead) but it seems other hosts like UGVPS in UKServers (Coventry) are getting hit to.

We had attacks peaking 15Gbps, constant 5-10Gbps for hours.

• So which provider hasn't been hit? Burstnet?

• We can colo a Supermicro node in the Netherlands should you be interested. PM me.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@rds100 I doubt burst net would be so easily moved, as they have the capital to defend against the attacks if they would need to.