Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1Gbp/s Only yielding 1.1MB/s
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1Gbp/s Only yielding 1.1MB/s

Ive seen this issue many times except I know no solution. My friends have complained about it , Ive seen other people complain about it. But now I am experiencing it first hand.

Fresh install of windows 8.1 Pro Speedtest.net will yield upwards of 120MB/s up and down however a file transfer from a server which is also 1Gbp/s will yield exactly 1.1MB/s regardless of HTTP transfer or FTP transfer.

Teamviewer 12 beta however supports transfer up to 200MB/s Low and behold I test between both 1Gbp/s connections and I get... well what do you know... 105MB/s sustained

What could be causing this issue?

Comments

• People assume that because both sides have 1Gbps you are guaranteed 1Gbps speeds, that's not exactly all there is to it.

You have to take into factor the distance, transit/peering (possible saturation?), driver / software limitations, and more.

If you elaborate on what you're working with we can try and figure out the cause.

Thanked by 2GCat ucxo
  • 2 Dedicated servers, Exact same specs, 400 miles away from each other, Same software. I can do a transfer from each to eachother get 1.1MB/s on that individual transfer, While that transfer is going, I can open up Teamviewer 12 Beta, (200MB/s Transfer rate) and get minimal of 100MB/s to or from each server to each other.

I have tried using CORE FTP and Filezilla to do the file transfers over FTP
    I used Apache 2 to handle the HTTP File transfer

Both of those were limited to 1.1MB/s

• No. Because both servers can speedtest.net @ 1Gbp/s , Both servers can transfer data using Teamviewer @ 100+MB/s To and from.

But no matter what, both servers are limited to 1.1MB/s HTTP and FTP transfer, to and from each other OR anyone else

• MorpheusxenoMorpheusxeno Member
    edited November 2016

NetWorx graph during a speedtest -

• @Morpheusxeno said:
    Ive seen this issue many times except I know no solution. My friends have complained about it , Ive seen other people complain about it. But now I am experiencing it first hand.

Fresh install of windows 8.1 Pro Speedtest.net will yield upwards of 120MB/s up and down however a file transfer from a server which is also 1Gbp/s will yield exactly 1.1MB/s regardless of HTTP transfer or FTP transfer.

Teamviewer 12 beta however supports transfer up to 200MB/s Low and behold I test between both 1Gbp/s connections and I get... well what do you know... 105MB/s sustained

What could be causing this issue?

What are the specs of those server?

if ram is not a problem

create a 1-2gb file in ram disk in one server and then try to wget from the other server....

also when using wget use -O /dev/null

and see if there is a difference

• Try running your Apache install on a nonstandard port and see if the speed suddenly increases. If so, you now know there's filtering in place to rate limit the speed.

• @noaman said:

Windows sadly /cry 2 Applications cant be ran on Linux

edited November 2016

@Damian said:
    Try running your Apache install on a nonstandard port and see if the speed suddenly increases. If so, you now know there's filtering in place to rate limit the speed.

Just tested that - Identical speeds

• @Morpheusxeno said:

@Damian said:
    Try running your Apache install on a nonstandard port and see if the speed suddenly increases. If so, you now know there's filtering in place to rate limit the speed.

Testing this solution now.

Note if their is port limitation in place ....

you can SMB between two servers to transfer files...

I doubt they would limit that

• @noaman said:

@Morpheusxeno said:

@Damian said:

Testing this solution now.

Note if their is port limitation in place ....

you can SMB between two servers to transfer files...

I doubt they would limit that

I need the solution solved for external users too. Not just for me. Anyone that downloads from the server receives this same limitation

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Contact the provider and see what they say. Sometimes there's a simple fix.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • I really dont think its the provider when its 2 different providers with the same problem.

• Traffic shaping?

• @Morpheusxeno said:

Where else have you seen these very specific problems, and where have you seen other people report these very specific problems?

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited November 2016

As I see it there are a few possibilities here:

1. Teamviewer uses TCP port 5938 for transfers, its uncommon for this port to be limited, so may indicated traffic shaping on common ports < 1024.

2. Teamviewer supports fall back to UDP also, I believe, if TCP is blocked, it is possible the transfer is going via UDP and your TCP connections are being traffic shaped.

3. You have ipv6 on these servers and Teamviewer takes advantage of this and sends the files over ipv6 where there is no traffic shaping.

If using FTP and HTTP on common ports, I would suggest choosing ports over 1024 and testing. Some providers traffic shape ports under 1024 (so 21,80 and 443 would be included).

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Apache on Windows has major issues with buffer sizes causing piss poor download speeds. It's right in line with the ~1MB/sec you're seeing.

You can change things like using sendfile or some things like that but I never got it to play nice. There was some registry edits I saw where you try to force the window size to be the maximum but I never bothered trying them.

In the end I simply installed IIS for the customer on an alternative port for any large downloads.

Francisco

Thanked by 1erkin
  • I appreciate all the time you have spent on the comments I will be testing these things later. Thank you very much.

Thanked by 1erkin
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@Morpheusxeno said:
    I appreciate all the time you have spent on the comments I will be testing these things later. Thank you very much.

Don't forget to share your findings.

• If you installed linux or even pop in a virtual media CD with a live linux ISO you should be able to better determine if it's OS related or not. If it's not then chances are it's traffic shaping.

• Have you tested using iperf?

There is a gui for windows :-)

and then configuring it to run at different ports

• Francisco said: Apache on Windows has major issues with buffer sizes causing piss poor download speeds. It's right in line with the ~1MB/sec you're seeing.

You can change things like using sendfile or some things like that but I never got it to play nice. There was some registry edits I saw where you try to force the window size to be the maximum but I never bothered trying them.

In the end I simply installed IIS for the customer on an alternative port for any large downloads.

Francisco

I had experienced the same issue, switched to IIS instead for our users running large files, however I experienced it with win 2003 server long time ago.

• It was because of the host I was using. I am no longer using that host anymore. The problem is entirely solved by moving to a new host.

• Morpheusxeno said: It was because of the host I was using. I am no longer using that host anymore. The problem is entirely solved by moving to a new host.

Can you PM me the host's name? I'll probably want to avoid this host in the future as well.

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2016

@black it says reliablesite and eonix on the speedtest

And OP just had a post asking for recommendation on a dedicated server as he's leaving reliablesite... soooooo

However, the problem is the OP is trying to get gigabit speed from a east coast to a west coast server. Thats NOT going to happen regardless what ISP/provider he uses.

• lonea said: @black it says reliablesite and eonix on the speedtest

And OP just had a post asking for recommendation on a dedicated server as he's leaving reliablesite... soooooo

However, the problem is the OP is trying to get gigabit speed from a east coast to a west coast server. Thats NOT going to happen regardless what ISP/provider he uses.

So reliablesite was the issue or eonix or both? I do agree that you're not going to get full speeds but 1.1 MB/sec is far below the expected throughput.

edited November 2016

@lonea said:

The problem is the OP is trying to get gigabit speed from a east coast to a west coast server.

Your comment is a little far fetched, I do not expect to receive a gigabit speed from coast to coast. What I am expecting is something more than 1.1MB/s from a gigabit connection.

2 Completely different things.

edited November 2016

Eonix is simply the download test server. They are not my provider.

Personally I am satisfied with a 48MB/s Connection. Which is actually much more than I needed.

I initially thought the issue was caused by the server, Then my software, then the server again. It wasn't until I started breaking parts of the equation down and discovered it wasn't my new server, but the old server causing the issue.

Reliablesite.net being the old server.

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2016

@black OP Joined November 8

Now have another thread boosting another provider

edited November 2016

@lonea said:
    @black OP Joined November 8

Now have another thread boosting another provider

Eonix Communications was the provider for the download test with speedtest.net
    I am not hosting service with them I know nothing of their company.

Seems as though you have to be very very careful what you say or some random will jump on a bandwagon and take the thread into oblivion. Thankfully I was able to edit the post still...

• Morpheusxeno said: Eonix Communications was the provider for the download test with speedtest.net I am not hosting service with them I know nothing of their company.

Seems as though you have to be very very careful what you say or some random will jump on a bandwagon and take the thread into oblivion.

You seem knowledgeable and took the proper steps to debug the issue, hence why I asked which provider was causing the issue. If I thought you were a noob I wouldn't even have asked. By the process of elimination that it is not an issue with Eonix, I know which provider that was the issue. Thanks for answering my request.