Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gre tunnel throughput
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Gre tunnel throughput

RazzaRazza Member
edited November 2016 in Help

I currently have a gre tunnel using one of my additional ip on my Ovh vps to protect a non ddos protected server at a other host the ping between two server is 12ms.

The issue am having is poor network speed incoming on the remote end of the tunnel but the upload speed via the tunnel is ok.

Back-end server -> Ovh vps -> internet is fine but Internet -> Ovh -> Back-end server is slow less than 100KB/s.

All testing was done of a different vps which is not a part of the tunnel

scp transfer pulling file from back-end server via tunnelled ip

root@deadpool:~# scp ryan@***:test.zip ~
 100%  292MB  10.4MB/s   00:28

Fine as Ovh vps is only 100Mbps

Scp transfer pushing a file to the back-end server via tunnelled ip

root@deadpool:~# scp test.zip ryan@****:~
 2% 6800KB  67.3KB/s 1:12:23 ETA^ test.zip

Crap network speed

If i do a scp download or upload using the back-end server ip and not going via the tunnel the speed is 73.0MB/s.

Anymore got any idea's how to increase the throughput Internet -> tunnel as 67.3KB/s is not very useful.

Comments

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider

It seems you have some MTU problems. Have a look at http://techbackground.blogspot.de/2013/06/path-mtu-discovery-and-gre.html

Thanked by 1Razza
  • RazzaRazza Member
    edited November 2016

Kabeldamagement said: It seems you have some MTU problems.

Thanks i will look into that later, any idea why a mtu issue would only effect one way of the tunnel not both.

• Iv'e played around with the mtu still the same on Internet -> tunnel -> back-end

I've put the mtu back to which the gre tunnel defaulted to

Back-end

3: gre0@NONE:  mtu 1476 qdisc noop state DOWN group default 
        link/gre 0.0.0.0 brd 0.0.0.0
    4: gretap0@NONE:  mtu 1462 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
        link/ether 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    5: gre1@NONE:  mtu 1476 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default 
        link/gre 37.***.165.***peer 137.****.42.***
        inet 192.168.168.2/30 scope global gre1

Ovh server

3: gre0@NONE:  mtu 1476 qdisc noop state DOWN group default 
        link/gre 0.0.0.0 brd 0.0.0.0
    4: gretap0@NONE:  mtu 1462 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
        link/ether 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    5: gre1@NONE:  mtu 1476 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default 
        link/gre 137.***.42.*** peer 37.***.165.***
        inet 192.168.168.1/30 scope global gre1

If anymore is able to give advice which is able to fix the speed issue on the gre tunnel they can have $25 paypal to them.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

OVH you said ? It's possible they rate limited GRE to deal with IOT DDOS attacks.

Francisco

• Francisco said: OVH you said ? It's possible they rate limited GRE to deal with IOT DDOS attacks.

It's possible if so its a bit funny to just rate limit it one way, i might open a ticket later with ovh.

• @Francisco

I've opened a ticket with Ovh, if Gre protocol is rate limited outgoing, do you know of any other way i can tunnel between the 2 server i what to be able to use any tcp/udp ports via the tunnel.

Ryan

• @Razza said:
    @Francisco

I've opened a ticket with Ovh, if Gre protocol is rate limited outgoing, do you know of any other way i can tunnel between the 2 server i what to be able to use any tcp/udp ports via the tunnel.

Ryan

You could try using a VPN to link the two? I suggest Tinc.

Thanked by 1Razza
  • doghouch said: You could try using a VPN to link the two? I suggest Tinc.

I've managed to fix the issue by switching to a ipip tunnel forgot about them similar to gre tunnel but speed is fine both way but thanks for the idea to use tinc anyway.

This discussion has been closed.