Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows RDP Users w/ isolated IIS7/MS-SQL access
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows RDP Users w/ isolated IIS7/MS-SQL access

I'm trying to avoid virtualization so I was wondering if it is possible to setup different users on a Windows server (2012R2) and have their Isolated Sites in IIS, Databases in Ms-SQL and ofcourse their own isolated file/folder access.

Is their a way around this so that RDP enabled users can login and create their own sites/FTP in IIS, DBs in MS-SQL & and it works like a cPanel environment:

user-1 can't see sites **configured in IIS by user-2
user-1 can't see **DBs
configured in MS-SQL by user-2

Comments

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2016

Not isolated as in separate instances, but IIS has this and MsSQL also has local accounts for authentication.

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

1) MSSQL Express or another verison?

2) IIS allows you to assign sites to a specific user, allow the rule to user {userscope} for their dir and aslong as you revoke their permissions to other user areas, you should be good. Allowing them to make applications within their website.

However this is all very very complicated - why do your users need RDP? Plesk would do just fine.

Thanked by 1pbgben
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@LordSpock said:
    1) MSSQL Express or another verison?

2) IIS allows you to assign sites to a specific user, allow the rule to user {userscope} for their dir and aslong as you revoke their permissions to other user areas, you should be good. Allowing them to make applications within their website.

However this is all very very complicated - why do your users need RDP? Plesk would do just fine.

Plesk Windows edition sounds like what OP needs. +1 for that idea.

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • Thanks @ pbgben, I'm aware of Plesk but the monthly 8.33 is bothering me. So was just trying to get views from members about alternatives.

@LordSpock Yes SQL Express edition.. 2008/2012.
    And yes... I know its complicated. If I do not find a reliable and doable scenario, I think VM would be my best bet