Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone know how Vultr defines "Cloud"?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does anyone know how Vultr defines "Cloud"?

I couldn't find anything on their site but I was curious as to how Vultr defines Cloud? Is data spread out over multiple HD's? 100% uptime, minus reboots, etc? Can instances be combined?

Any input is appreciated.

Comments

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

I believe No is the correct answer to all your questions

Thanked by 2Waldo19 netomx
  • I was always under the assumption cloud meant multiple redundancies that are synced automatically, one goes down another takes over.

Vultr's cloud is just a fancy way of saying create a new VM any time, snapshot it, increase its specs to your needs, the rest is up to you.

Thanked by 1Waldo19
  • I would assume with the advent of them offering block storage all of their VM "data" would be on SAN's, not really sure how else you would offer block storage otherwise.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Defined in the way Cloud Computing is defined. Scalable and self-service provisioning, basically.

• According to a popular definition "Cloud" means someone else's computer ;-)

Thanked by 1Abdussamad
  • @rds100 said:
    According to a popular definition "Cloud" means someone else's computer ;-)

It doesn't even need to be someone else's, can be yours too!

• DETioDETio Member
    edited November 2016

Cloud Computing comes with a few Essential Characteristics in order to be recognized as 'cloud' instead of just Virtual Private Servers.

These essential characteristics, as defined by the US Government include:

• On-demand self-service :

The user can access, delete instances, or add new instances on-demand as required.

Hourly Billing allows the above to be possible, where-as monthly billing strips that on-demand availability away since you can no longer downscale when required (must wait till the month is over).

• Broad network access :

Able to access the service remotely.

• Resource pooling :

Virtual resources dynamically assigned and reassigned according to consumer demand. A multi-tenant model where multiple users can utilize this resource pool is required.

• Rapid elasticity :

Capabilities can be elastically provisioned and released, in some cases automatically. There must always be idle computing power ready to be used by the consumer - and scaled on demand by the provider, the user must not wait for resources.

• Measured service :

Monitoring & Transparency of usage is a requirement, the user must be able to monitor required services such as Bandwidth, Storage, etc.

High Availability is not an essential characteristic for Cloud Computing however is generally an expectation by the user. Unless the provider clearly defines he is offering self-healing VM's, automated failover or high availability - then the provider is not required to offer such solutions to the user and it's up to the consumer to figure out a backup solution.

Cloud Computing also comes with Service Models, such as Infrastructure-as-a-Service (This is what VULTR Offers), other service models also include: Platform as a Service & Software as a Service which are designed to save time and automate processes that are previously manual. Such as deploying applications, databses, load balancers, etc.

Unless the provider again explicitly notes that they offer PaaS/SaaS then it is not a requirement in order to be considered cloud computing.

Thanked by 4Tom doghouch jar sin