Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

R1Soft Backups (cPanel integrated) / Recommendations
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

R1Soft Backups (cPanel integrated) / Recommendations

MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
edited November 2016 in General

Hello folks,

I've never used R1Soft backup systems, but am about to.

Assuming I'm using 3TB diskspace right now, how big would the backup server need to be, configuring R1Soft, integrated in cPanel, which allows the customer to self-restore and such?
Would 4TB be enough? Or does it have to be like 6TB?

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Depends on if you want to grow or not.

• It depends how often you set the backup rotations too, the retention period etc

• 4GB will probably be a bit small :P

It will heavily depend on your retention policies, 4TB would certainly be a good place to start but I would imagine that will grow a bit if you offer 30+ days of retention.

Either way, I wouldn't recommend R1Soft, there are other solutions which are cheaper and generally more reliable.

• >

Either way, I wouldn't recommend R1Soft, there are other solutions which are cheaper and generally more reliable.

Ive found JetBackUp to be unreliable. What alternatives should the OP look into?

• @Waldo19 said:

>

Ive found JetBackUp to be unreliable. What alternatives should the OP look into?

Personally I would probably choose https://www.bacula4.com/.

R1Soft has had a ton of issues over the years and last I spoke with other colleagues whom still use it they are still complaining about constant hiccups and close to show stopper issues.

Thanked by 1Waldo19
  • Jetbackup.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • @MrGeneral If using cPanel, don't use R1Soft. It's a gigantic pain in the neck and you should expect issues with XFS/Cent/CL7 and will run around in circles.

Bottom line, use R1Soft if you absolutely must... If you have the choice, go with JetBackups like @Foul said.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@IHaveADarkPassenger said:

@Waldo19 said:

>

R1Soft has had a ton of issues over the years and last I spoke with other colleagues whom still use it they are still complaining about constant hiccups and close to show stopper issues.

Looks to be expensive. While licenses for each R1Soft agent are like 5 USD tops per month.

4GB will probably be a bit small :P

It will heavily depend on your retention policies, 4TB would certainly be a good place to start but I would imagine that will grow a bit if you offer 30+ days of retention.

I've seen R1Soft in many servers I manage (cPanel) and they report no issues?

@HyperSpeed said:
    It depends how often you set the backup rotations too, the retention period etc
    @AlexBarakov said:
    Depends on if you want to grow or not.

What would you advise?

@DigitalFyre said:
    @MrGeneral If using cPanel, don't use R1Soft. It's a gigantic pain in the neck and you should expect issues with XFS/Cent/CL7 and will run around in circles.

Bottom line, use R1Soft if you absolutely must... If you have the choice, go with JetBackups like @Foul said.

I'm checking JetBackups right now.

So if I want to keep a 30days copy, I'll need like 20TB? There's no compression, or..?

• @Francisco uses JetBackup.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @MrGeneral said:

@DigitalFyre said:
    @MrGeneral If using cPanel, don't use R1Soft. It's a gigantic pain in the neck and you should expect issues with XFS/Cent/CL7 and will run around in circles.

I'm checking JetBackups right now.

So if I want to keep a 30days copy, I'll need like 20TB? There's no compression, or..?

There is both compression and deduplication.

@Francisco,
    Do you mind to give me some advice in terms of storage required?

I sent an email to JetBackups for a few advice.
    Does it support full account restore in case a server goes nuts?
    E.G: With WHM backup tool, it created full compressed account backups that can be restored really easy.

IHaveADarkPassenger said: There is both compression and deduplication.

Very interested in the subject, I sent them an email. Thank you :)

No idea on how cPanel handles it, however I am backing up 1TB in under 500GB, with some retention points. Works just fine, not the biggest compression.

@AlexBarakov said:
    No idea on how cPanel handles it, however I am backing up 1TB in under 500GB, with some retention points. Works just fine, not the biggest compression.

Pretty good, not bad at all..
    What's the backup frequency?

MrGeneral said: Pretty good, not bad at all.. What's the backup frequency?

Hourly. Just incremental, after the initial sync.

• MrGeneral said: So if I want to keep a 30days copy, I'll need like 20TB? There's no compression, or..?

Incremental Backups! You don't need 20TB. A prime example is one of my boxes with 600~ GB of Data and 15 days of incremental backups using like 650~700 GB and not 9 TB :)

@AlexBarakov said:

MrGeneral said: Pretty good, not bad at all.. What's the backup frequency?

Hourly. Just incremental, after the initial sync.

Interesting, thank you Alex!

@DigitalFyre said:

MrGeneral said: So if I want to keep a 30days copy, I'll need like 20TB? There's no compression, or..?

Incremental Backups! You don't need 20TB. A prime example is one of my boxes with 600~ GB of Data and 15 days of incremental backups using like 650~700 GB and not 9 TB :)

Sounds great, we'll go with 4TB then :-).

Cheers

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

IHaveADarkPassenger said: Personally I would probably choose https://www.bacula4.com/.

I do also recommend this. We use it

@Awmusic12635 said:

IHaveADarkPassenger said: Personally I would probably choose https://www.bacula4.com/.

I do also recommend this. We use it

cPanel integration too? Looks expensive?

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

MrGeneral said: cPanel integration too? Looks expensive?

Not terrible pricing. You can do stand alone vm pricing if your RAM is not over 32GB for $6 per VM.

Go to the 4hosts SPLA page and scroll to the bottom. It will give you more details on pricing.

Yes it has cPanel integration.

In my experience this software has been more reliable than R1soft. R1soft sometimes just explodes. If you do have a problem their support is actually very useful and knows what they are doing, unlike R1soft that isn't the best support experience.

Thanked by 1MikePT
    edited November 2016

Awmusic12635 said: Not terrible pricing. You can do stand alone vm pricing if your RAM is not over 32GB for $6 per VM.

Go to the 4hosts SPLA page and scroll to the bottom. It will give you more details on pricing.

Yes it has cPanel integration.

In my experience this software has been more reliable than R1soft. R1soft sometimes just explodes. If you do have a problem their support is actually very useful and knows what they are doing, unlike R1soft that isn't the best support experience.

Thank you, I thought their minimum was 150 USD, I'm reading that section right now. :-)

Edit: Their order form doesn't allow me to purchase the 6USD monthly licenses, you'd need to order the 150 USD service? Confusing.

• @IHaveADarkPassenger said:

@Waldo19 said:

>

In addition, R1Soft has terrible restore speeds (aka. 100 kb/s download back from their servers). :/

• @doghouch said:

@Waldo19 said:

>

In addition, R1Soft has terrible restore speeds (aka. 100 kb/s download back from their servers). :/

Is that for remote backup servers or local (on network) as well?

At those speeds it would take a lifetime to restore a server with even a moderate amount of data.

• Jack said: Xfs issue has been fixed now.

Oh, that's good. My personal opinion is that JetBackups is better for cPanel, that's all.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @MrGeneral said:
    @Francisco,

E.G: With WHM backup tool, it created full compressed account backups that can be restored really easy.

IHaveADarkPassenger said: There is both compression and deduplication.

Very interested in the subject, I sent them an email. Thank you :)

>
    >

@MrGeneral, JetBackup does indeed support full account backups in the case of a server crash. You can find more information on full account restore on our FAQ page in our company docs: https://docs.jetapps.com/wp-content/cache/all/jetbackup/faq/disaster-recovery/index.html. You can open a ticket with our support team for further questions or please feel free to ask away on here and I will do my best to accurately and fully answer them. Thank you for your interest in JetBackup!

Thanked by 1MikePT

@doghouch said:

@Waldo19 said:

>

Is that for remote backup servers or local (on network) as well?

At those speeds it would take a lifetime to restore a server with even a moderate amount of data.

Believe me, I'm not the only one complaining. Sometimes you'll get 10 mbit/s, then it'll fall to a tenth of a megabit. R1Soft really isn't that good - I suggest you use what everyone has been suggesting.

• R1Soft - When you want your disaster recovery to be a complete disaster!

Thanked by 1MikePT
    R1Soft - When you want your disaster recovery to be a complete disaster!

R1Soft - Turning your disaster into a complete catastrophe one restore at a time!

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@MrGeneral said:
    @Francisco,

JetBackups uses hard links (think of how rsnapshot works) to create it's backups. Lets say you have an account that uses 1GB space and every day a single 1MB file is changed inside there. A week of backups will only eat 1GB + 6MB of space (likely less due to compression, etc).

R1soft would obviously be even less than that since it's only storing the blocks that are different. My issues with R1Soft is that the kernel driver was quite buggy and they simply didn't support half the kernels cloudlinux was pushing for version 7. We would have backups that didn't run or would bug out for no reason.

R1Soft completes backups faster than JetBackup does, but that doesn't mean much when there's a good chance the backup never actually ran. We had to move from nightly backups to backups 3 times a week. R1Soft stomps JetBackup for big restores though, at least when it is a long distance to the node storing the backups. I'm likely going to have to rack up something in Luxembourg to get restore sprocessing faster.

Hardware wise we have a 12 bay Supermicro server full of 4TB drives + some SSD's for caching.

Francisco

Thanked by 2Foul MikePT