Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS DNS broken after dnsmasq install. DNS works fine via VPN...?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS DNS broken after dnsmasq install. DNS works fine via VPN...?

FreekFreek Member
edited April 2013 in Help

Yesterday I finally successfully installed softether onto my Xen VPS. All was working fine, until I tried to install a new package today. I kept getting 'Temporary failure resolving XXX' errors.
After some digging, I found out that my DNS is not working;
ping google.com
ping: unknown host google.com

Which is strange, because when I use my VPN, I can browse the web without issues. My VPN is set to use dnsmasq;
File excerpt:/etc/dnsmasq.conf
listen-address=127.0.0.1,10.8.0.1
bind-interfaces

As you can see, dnsmasq should also listen on localhost, which I am using as nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 127.0.0.1

So, why does my DNS work over VPN but not on the box itself? What kind of voodoo is this?
Ofcourse I can set to use Google's DNS but that's not what I want. I have dnsmasq running, so why not us eit...

I don't know how I should tackle this problem, please point me in the right direction.
OS = Ubuntu Server 12.04 (boo!, yes I know) on XenPV.
It's pretty much a clean box, just softether.org and dnsmasq are running.

Thanks!

Comments

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Do you use IPv6?

• FreekFreek Member
    edited April 2013

@gbshouse said: Do you use IPv6?

Thanks for you reply
    No, I do not use IPv6.

I was just found about this:
    freek@alpha:dnsmasq -d
    dnsmasq: failed to create listening socket for 127.0.0.1: Address already in use

However, netstat -tulpn gives me:

tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:53 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 877/dnsmasq
    udp 0 0 127.0.0.1:53 0.0.0.0:* 877/dnsmasq

So it is listening, why is it complaining the address is in use?
    If I kill dnsmasq, those two entries nicely disappear...

O.o I have no clue what to do. I searched and I see people talking about Network Manager having already dnsmasq installed and such, but that's not the case as far as I know.

• budingyunbudingyun Member
    edited April 2013

/etc/resolv.conf should contain your dns resolver like Google DNS or OpenDNS. That's what i'm using on my openvpn and dnsmasq configuration.

in server.conf

push "redirect-gateway def1 bypass-dhcp"
    push "dhcp-option DNS 10.8.0.1"

Not sure same or not with SoftEther.

• FreekFreek Member

Wait a second, am I making a thinking mistake over here then?
    Is dnsmasq not a DNS server itself, merely a forwarder that forwards requests to 'other' DNS servers?

Thanks!

• @Freek said: Wait a second, am I making a thinking mistake over here then?

Is dnsmasq not a DNS server itself, merely a forwarder that forwards requests to 'other' DNS servers?

Thanks!

Yes, something like that. It forward request from client to vps /etc/resolv.conf .

• You need to tell dnsmasq which upstream nameservers to use. The advantage of dnsmasq is that it caches the lookups.

http://www.g-loaded.eu/2010/09/18/caching-nameserver-using-dnsmasq/

• FreekFreek Member

Thanks guys, then I've made a thinking mistake. I assumed that dnsmasq was a dns server itself, not just by pushing requests to other nameservers.
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

• krokro Member

Hate to say it, but you need to study up on the software you are using, youll never fully be able to debug any issues unless you know how it works and what its functionality is.

Today for me its bcache/flashcache/cachecade ill most likely 3-5 days reading before tinkering. Oh my head.