Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tired of new members that signs on LET only to bash...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Tired of new members that signs on LET only to bash...

jvnadrjvnadr Member
edited November 2016 in General

It is often more than ever the case of LET new members that sign to this forum only to post a complain or bashing a provider that had (reasonably or not, it's not the case) a bad experience with.
This behavior is like a revenge: they are not interested in participating to a forum, just to give some bad reviews adding them to google.
Don't you think that such kind of messages from newcomers should not be indexed to search engines? Maybe, that kind of reviews (or "reviews") should be visible to google only for members with x posts or being registered for x months (just a suggestion).

Comments

• They should zsh or fish instead.

• I don't mind them, to me it's the primary reason to come here and see what hosts are worth looking at and what aren't.

The ones I don't like are the ones that don't qualify their statements with reasons, or good reasons.

• I dont mind them either, but i hate the one's who never come back to reply. IMHO those threads should be removed.

• @ricardo said:
    I don't mind them, to me it's the primary reason to come here and see what hosts are worth looking at and what aren't.

What's LET without drama anyway? :)

Thanked by 2doghouch Waldo19
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited November 2016

Freedom of speech. To my understanding the servers of this forum are owned by a USA company. Also if they do not violate any forum rules, it should be acceptable.

Like others said, I don't mind coming here and see a few pop corn threads or threads made by the administration to warn us about some kiddy scammer around.

Thanked by 1jenkki
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I don't like it when it's unfair, I don't mind it when it's fair. They should come here and post factual information and their evidence should support their claim. Otherwise they usually get dealt with.

• Hxxx said: Freedom of speech.

Get out.

• No offense

• False equivalency.
    A one-hit wonder, doing a hit-job review on a host without follow-up is not likely to cause harm to the sharp peer review crew at LET, but you are also sharp enough to recognize SEO, linkbacks and review searches carry more (but not necessarily accurate) weight.
    OP brought up a topic which LET should take into consideration.

@Hxxx said: Freedom of speech.

• sometimes a complaint about a provider can make a provider look even better, depending on how they handle it.

Thanked by 4Four20 ucxo emg ATHK
  • Complaining is fine but people that say a provider scammed them because they didn't see on the website that certain software costs money and they were billed for it is just ridiculous.

Thanked by 2doughmanes Nomad
  • I didn't say to get banned or their thread get deleted. Just first (and only come) posters don't have their threads indexed in search engines.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I suppose on some level I've always thought bad attempts at bad reviews were actually good reviews. If the worst I can find is that they lost a RAID array, I'm usually feeling pretty good about the provider.

• jarland said: I suppose on some level I've always thought bad attempts at bad reviews were actually good reviews. If the worst I can find is that they lost a RAID array, I'm usually feeling pretty good about the provider.

I think bad reviews are generally bad. Most non-technical people have no idea about RAID or any of that stuff when they're buying hosting. When they hear something negative chances are they won't sign up with the provider, even though backups are the responsibility of the client.

• jvnadr said: Don't you think that such kind of messages from newcomers should not be indexed to search engines?

Who cares. I certainly don't. And there are probably a lot of others like me who don't cultivate the gullible gene. In fact if I'm looking for something, if there are no negative reviews I'm extremely suspicious.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • LeeLee Veteran

Well to repeat what I have already said on this.

If someone opens a negative review thread with the provider did x, y and z then they need to be asked by the staff to post tickets or other evidence to back up what they said. If they do not then it should be sent to bin.

If it's because of performance then they should be asked to present some benchmarking results to back that up. If they ask "how do I do that" it should be sent to the bin.

And so on...

• @Hxxx said:
    Freedom of speech. To my understanding the servers of this forum are owned by a USA company. Also if they do not violate any forum rules, it should be acceptable.

Like others said, I don't mind coming here and see a few pop corn threads or threads made by the administration to warn us about some kiddy scammer around.

Freedom of speech means that no one can take away your right to say it.

Doesn't mean you have the right to use someone else's infrastructure to say it.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited November 2016

black said: I think bad reviews are generally bad. Most non-technical people have no idea about RAID or any of that stuff when they're buying hosting. When they hear something negative chances are they won't sign up with the provider, even though backups are the responsibility of the client.

I tend to agree more closely with @jarland on this:

jarland said: I suppose on some level I've always thought bad attempts at bad reviews were actually good reviews. If the worst I can find is that they lost a RAID array, I'm usually feeling pretty good about the provider.

If the provider is worth anything and cares about their reputation they usually show up and contribute to the thread and this by far provides more context about a host than the review its self. This is either by trying to resolve the issue with the client or refuting it with proof when being given permission by the client to post said truth. This type of interaction is almost more telling about a provider than the review, as it shows the people you are working with and how they will respond when there are issues (and how they deal with public confrontation when they do fail to provide a reasonable service or solution by ticket). Will they work with the user to resolve it or will they show their hand and continue to provide no assistance showing how little they care about their customers? This is often way more important contextually than the review its self.

However, there are some cases where the complaints (like the RAID one people are referring to from today) are made from an uninformed or uneducated position. In these cases, instead of bashing the user and/or telling them they are stupid, we should take a step back and try to educate the user. Once educated and they have a better understanding, unless their original intent was malicious, a lot of them ask for title changes or apologize for their misunderstandings. This is how we make progress, not by suppressing peoples feelings about the issue they encountered. It is always better to teach than to condemn and the long time users here are given an amazing opportunity to be teachers and show people how it should be. These are the people who also become the long term members here and start to participate as they learn more and have a better understanding for how things work. Whether or not we will step up and take advantage of this opportunity in a way that makes this community better is a whole other discussion, for another time.

In the end I think think we can safely say the moderators have been doing a lot better about being on top of false reviews and making sure that titles match up when things are resolved. The fact this has improved vastly from even a year ago I think for me takes a lot of the worry about these drive by posters truly effecting a hosts reputation off the table. As long as we keep on top of it and strive to keep our newcomers honest and educated, I don't see a reason to change things, yet.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 3deadbeef jar Ole_Juul
  • I was always told if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all. In some cases negative reviews are totally justified, but it's far too easy for people to run away from their own mistakes and say "SCAM".

While most of us know this not to be the case the average user stumbling upon the topic may think differently.

The moderators have been doing a great job lately of protecting hosts who are not at fault. Keep up the great work!

• @jvnadr said:
    It is often more than ever the case of LET new members that sign to this forum only to post a complain or bashing a provider that had (reasonably or not, it's not the case) a bad experience with.
    This behavior is like a revenge: they are not interested in participating to a forum, just to give some bad reviews adding them to google.
    Don't you think that such kind of messages from newcomers should not be indexed to search engines? Maybe, that kind of reviews (or "reviews") should be visible to google only for members with x posts or being registered for x months (just a suggestion).

I don't mind it. Such people will get bashing in return if their rant has no basis

• emgemg Veteran

The status quo seems okay to me. Most of the time it becomes quickly clear when the customer is a jerk. I do like it when the provider responds with the facts. Most of the time when that happens, I learn that this is a provider who cares and one whose services I would buy.

The one thing that I am sorry about is that the process forces extra work on the providers, but I believe it is one of the costs that providers must accept in this line of work.

I would not exclude these user complaints from search engines. It means extra work for the administrators, with little apparent value.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

If the silly drama is banished from LET, I leave.

Not that I contribute anything to this silly community....

• Love you.

@Nekki said:

Hxxx said: Freedom of speech.

Get out.

• Hxxx said: Love you.

Fuck , now all people love @Nekki ?

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@cociu said:

Hxxx said: Love you.

Fuck , now all people love @Nekki ?

A second marriage for you coming.

• MikeA said: A second marriage for you coming.

i think you want to tell the 3rd ....

• sharuusharuu Member
    edited November 2016

Anybody with GVH account start a thread? I am planning to get some popcorn.