Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it normal/reasonable to have this cpu flags in a KVM vps?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it normal/reasonable to have this cpu flags in a KVM vps?

miaumiau Member
edited November 2016 in Help

Subscribed a KVM vps, already dissatisfied with its system that doesn't offer iso mounting and disgustingly lack of control offered in its control panel (only on/off/reboot. Has the minimalist trend gone too far?). And the slow support staff that takes almost 2 week (and counting) to mount my ISO..
Buy hey I'm a reasonable guy I can live with that. for now.

And now I noticed the CPU is very weak. 3-4 mbps transfer through openVPN (aes-128) enough to make the process hog 100% cpu.

quick look at cpuinfo give me this. Im not an expert in hardware nor kvm but no matter how I look at it the flags doesn't seem right to me.
Is it normal for KVM to have this amount of flags? I mean not even AES and other common sets?

Comments

• most likely a bay trail or something if its struggling that bad. perhaps do a geekbench that will confirm.

• Those flags correspond to a Pentium-4!

Looks like your provider used the default qemu config, and didn't bother to expose SSSE3, SSE4. Maybe you are better off moving to another provider.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2016

Yes the flags are okay, I have exactly the same set on my VPS:

processor  : 0
    vendor_id   : GenuineIntel
    cpu family  : 6
    model       : 13
    model name  : QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.5.3
    stepping    : 3
    microcode   : 0x1
    cpu MHz     : 1695.729
    cache size  : 4096 KB
    physical id : 0
    siblings    : 1
    core id     : 0
    cpu cores   : 1
    apicid      : 0
    initial apicid  : 0
    fpu     : yes
    fpu_exception   : yes
    cpuid level : 4
    wp      : yes
    flags       : fpu de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx lm rep_good nopl pni cx16 hypervisor lahf_lm
    bugs        :
    bogomips    : 3391.45
    clflush size    : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes   : 46 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management:

But this one does 70+ Mbit easily with AES-based VPN, so the fault is that you bought a piece of oversold crap, not the lack of AES flag.

miau said: already dissatisfied with its system that doesn't offer iso mounting and disgustingly lack of control offered in its control panel (only on/off/reboot. Has the minimalist trend gone too far?). And the slow support staff that takes almost 2 week (and counting) to mount my ISO.. Buy hey I'm a reasonable guy I can live with that. for now.

Couldn't you just post the provider name? Let me guess, something nobody around here has ever heard of. And nope, none of what you described is in any way normal or should be tolerated. Waiting 2 weeks for a simple ticket request, can you imagine what it'll take for them if you try to get support for any actual issues? Not to mention even the server itself performs terribly.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2016

2 weeks to mount an ISO and you are OK with that? wow, I would feel guilty even at littlehappycloud.net prices if someone had to wait that long.!

• xyzxyz Member
    edited November 2016

On a side note, I wished more providers would expose CPU capabilities to KVM guests. I get that it could reduce migrate-ability of VMs, but there's no need to fall back to generic x64 capabilities in this day and age.

If you know the host node's specifications and know that it supports AES-NI, in theory, you should be able to use it if you could get the software to ignore the CPU flags. Whilst you would get better performance, it'd probably still be rather crap, considering what you're saying.

• Usually opening a ticket will fix this on any provider I've used.

• miaumiau Member
    edited November 2016

Couldn't you just post the provider name? Let me guess, something nobody around here has ever heard of. And nope, none of what you described is in any way normal or should be tolerated. Waiting 2 weeks for a simple ticket request, can you imagine what it'll take for them if you try to get support for any actual issues? Not to mention even the server itself performs terribly.

Lets reserve the name and shame for the worst offenders.

The company have posted their offering here several times though. They have recently launched Asian server and Im doing 1 month test drive.

AnthonySmith said: 2 weeks to mount an ISO and you are OK with that? wow, I would feel guilty even at littlehappycloud.net prices if someone had to wait that long.!

Its totally shitty. But no choice. Not many provider offer Asian location that satisfy even my lowest requirement:
    -Reasobanly priced like $30/yr, for a VPS that have just enough capacity to run openVPN and Shadowsocks up to 100mbps without any hiccup.

- KVM.

- Not a NAT IP.

Currently there is Linode/DO (too big, too expensive) like offering, or puny NAT ovz. nothing in between.

Safehouse cloud was a good provider, but too bad good things doesn't last.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2016

@miau said:
    Asian location

-Reasobanly priced like $30/yr,

30 USD a year is not a reasonable pricing in Asia. Not with the connectivity costs there. You're not paying enough to allow the provider to provide a good quality service, it just has to be oversold for the amount you're prepared to pay.

• miaumiau Member
    edited November 2016

@Clouvider said:

@miau said:
    Asian location

-Reasobanly priced like $30/yr,

30 USD a year is not a reasonable pricing in Asia. Not with the connectivity costs there. You're not paying enough to allow the provider to provide a good quality service, it just has to be oversold for the amount you're prepared to pay.

Safehouse cloud doing it with $30. They might oversold it, but still good network, good machine, good support. And it was 1gb ram. Maybe their generousity gone little too far and the ship sank though.

This provider carged me more. I got everything worse with half amount of ram.

I dont think im asking too much at $30 for like 256mb/5gb/100mbps kvm.

• @miau said:
    Safehouse cloud doing it with $30.

Probably that's the reason that they are gone now.

I dont think im asking too much at $30 for like 256mb/5gb/100mbps kvm.

Hardware is not the issue in Asia, bandwidth is. 30/month is likely to be OK for a shared unmetered 100mbps, but definitely not 30/year, at least for now.