Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's a good pricing for ghost hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's a good pricing for ghost hosting?

Assuming you obtained 10gb disk space + 200gb bandwidth.

Comments

• If only a ghost blog and nothing else, then you can simply use softaculous on any of the shared hosting providers:

Thanked by 1Awmusic12635
  • @virmach....link in signature

I ran a blog on 512Mb...

Unfortunately npm is a memory hogger.. when installing packages

Other than that

Ghost is very light weight you could run it on 128mb-256mb...

• I meant, if I was to setup something like runekite or ghost.com and sell hosting specifically for ghost like they do, what would you consider a fair price as a possible costumer?

• i installed ghost to virmach 5$/year openVZ (256mb), it's running pretty well

• Considering that ghost.org plans start at $19 a month, I think 10 per month would be a good price point.

IMO, you should atleast address the comparison points mentioned here - https://ghost.org/ghost-pro-vs-self-hosting/ to highlight why someone should host with you (since you would probably be between those two columns)

• @BeardyUnixGuy said:
    If only a ghost blog and nothing else, then you can simply use softaculous on any of the shared hosting providers:

For some reason BuyShared doesn't have Ghost in Softaculous.

• @Lunar said:

@BeardyUnixGuy said:
    If only a ghost blog and nothing else, then you can simply use softaculous on any of the shared hosting providers:

Isn't Ghost based upon Node.JS, that means it can't be installed on shared hosts, since they only provide PHP hosting? Or am I missing something?

• @momin90909 said:

@Lunar said:

@BeardyUnixGuy said:

Isn't Ghost based upon Node.JS, that means it can't be installed on shared hosts, since they only provide PHP hosting? Or am I missing something?

I think you're right.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2016

@momin90909 said:

@Lunar said:

@BeardyUnixGuy said:

It's technically possible to run Node.js on standard shared hosting, but it's a really really bad idea.

• @joepie91 said:

@momin90909 said:

@Lunar said:

@BeardyUnixGuy said:

It's technically possible to run Node.js on standard shared hosting, but it's a really really bad idea.

I wonder how? /omfg

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Lunar said:

@BeardyUnixGuy said:

You sure? I was sure we did. If not, ticket, i'll look it over :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1vimalware

@joepie91 said:

Softaculous does it pretty hilariously. They run nodejs as the user on a random high port and then use htaccess to proxy all requests to it.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@Lunar said:

@BeardyUnixGuy said:

You sure? I was sure we did. If not, ticket, i'll look it over :)

Francisco

I sent you a ticket #81606.

• @abangnoob said:
    i installed ghost to virmach 5$/year openVZ (256mb), it's running pretty well

How did you installed npm packages on 256 mb?

When installing they consumed two much ram :-(

• LeeLee Veteran

noaman said: How did you installed npm packages on 256 mb?

With swap.

As for Softaculous, it's not a great idea, yes it works inefficiently. Softaculous have even set Ghost to hidden by default now as it can can cause issues in shared environments.

• Lee said: As for Softaculous, it's not a great idea, yes it works inefficiently. Softaculous have even set Ghost to hidden by default now as it can can cause issues in shared environments.

Exactly. Until recently, you could even find this on Ghost support site:

"Running Ghost with a Softaculous auto-installer is generally a total disaster. We do not recommend it under any circumstances. The installer is poorly designed, does not function properly, and causes all kinds of issues with Ghost which are outside of our control." Source

• @noaman said:

@abangnoob said:

in my experience, npm install --production consume 140-190 ram. so 256mb ram is enough. when running it only consume 74mb ram.

i even had to install ghost in lowendspirit 128mb, but need to contact anthony to upgrade my ram temporary for npm install production :D

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @abangnoob said:

@noaman said:

@abangnoob said:

in my experience, npm install --production consume 140-190 ram. so 256mb ram is enough. when running it only consume 74mb ram.

i even had to install ghost in lowendspirit 128mb, but need to contact anthony to upgrade my ram temporary for npm install production :D

I wonder when npm is going to fix this....why cant it use hdd as temp file location

I guess i tried installing it on a 128 mb vps when it failed...:-(

• LeeLee Veteran

abangnoob said: npm install --production consume 140-190 ram. so 256mb ram is enough.

Assuming you have nothing else going on in the box consuming ram then it should be fine. Still, for stability I would not recommend 256mb, especially if you start getting higher footfall on the site, that 256mb won't last.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Francisco said:

@joepie91 said:

Softaculous does it pretty hilariously. They run nodejs as the user on a random high port and then use htaccess to proxy all requests to it.

Francisco

I... what? Running it on a high port, okay, that's fairly normal for a setup like this. But proxying using htaccess? What?

@noaman said:

@abangnoob said:

@noaman said:

@abangnoob said:

I wonder when npm is going to fix this....why cant it use hdd as temp file location

The NPM developers are pretty incompetent, and it's unlikely that this will ever be fixed unless they rewrite the entire client. You'll probably have more luck with either:

1. rsyncing over node_modules from another system (this only works if there are either no compiled modules, or it's the same architecture / system libraries)
    2. Using an alternative installer like pnpm, ied, or yarn - but keep in mind that all of these are fairly experimental, and may not necessarily work in your case.

As for the RAM requirements that NPM has - I've seen it run out of memory on 512MB RAM, with bigger projects. Horrible, horrible codebase.

• noamannoaman Member
    edited November 2016

@joepie91 said:

@Francisco said:

@joepie91 said:

Francisco

I... what? Running it on a high port, okay, that's fairly normal for a setup like this. But proxying using htaccess? What?

@noaman said:

@abangnoob said:

@noaman said:

@abangnoob said:

The NPM developers are pretty incompetent, and it's unlikely that this will ever be fixed unless they rewrite the entire client. You'll probably have more luck with either:

1. rsyncing over node_modules from another system (this only works if there are either no compiled modules, or it's the same architecture / system libraries)
    2. Using an alternative installer like pnpm, ied, or yarn - but keep in mind that all of these are fairly experimental, and may not necessarily work in your case.

As for the RAM requirements that NPM has - I've seen it run out of memory on 512MB RAM, with bigger projects. Horrible, horrible codebase.

Yes ... exactly...why keep everything in ram....

I guess rsync is the correct way...

Edit:

Can we use swap / pagefile....instead of ram.... obviously...on kvm ...you can set swap to your own size

• spammyspammy Member
    edited November 2016

BuyVM has a OpenVZ template set up with Ghost that you can just load and run, I think that would be a better option for OP? I have tried it on the 128MB RAM VPS and it runs fine.

• Lunar said: For some reason BuyShared doesn't have Ghost in Softaculous

They used to.

@Francisco said:

@joepie91 said:

Francisco

A while back, I wanted to check if BuyShared supported python apps. Of course they didn't, but it got me thinking about how softaculous managed to install and run the ghost blog.

As @Francisco mentioned, it's served on a high port number and then reverse proxied by the normal cPanel frontend (Apache/Litespeed). IIRC, the high port chosen remained the same for the lifetime of the softaculous app deployment.

Not very efficient, but it did appear to work alright for low-traffic sites.

We have the template inside the turnkey category ;)

Francisco

• bumps this thread.

2 days ago i want to upgrade my ghost blog. aaannnddd... 256ram is not enough to npm install, so i bought vortexnode promo (KVM 10$/year 512ram). when i check npm install now need 490mb of ram T_T.

so if you need to install ghost blog, it's need minimal 512mb of ram.