Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't always get a route to new VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can't always get a route to new VPS

I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue with a new VPS I just got from liteserver.nl.

It seems depending on the computer I use to connect with the VPS it varies on whether or not I can actually connect. It seems like from certain IPs there's no route to the server.

My home network, I cannot connect, and on a friend's computer on his ISP, I cannot connect. A ramnode VPS I have, I can connect.

I guess it's something my end? Not really sure what to try. I know I can ssh in but not everywhere. It also means I can't access the webserver on it (which makes it rather useless and I may have to cancel).

Comments

• try this site ping.pe and check the MTR graphs in it

• Hello alexjj,

You should test running some traceroutes from your location to the server. If you don't know how to do that, this article should help: https://kb.intermedia.net/article/682

Once you have the traceroutes in hand, if you are not able to understand or decipher them and would like some help your free to take screen captures of the results and block out your IP and post here. But more importantly, if you see any indication that your traffic it not fully making it to the other side, include these traceroutes in a ticket to liteserver and let them know about the issue you are seeing.

Liteserver.nl runs their own network and can usually make adjustments if possible to fix routing issues, or reach out to the provider they are having issues communicating with. They will also be able to tell you if this is something that is happening on you ISPs side vs theirs. If it is an issue with your ISP, they should be able to provide you traceroutes from their side to you as well and you should be able to provide this information to yous ISP and ask them to work to resolve the routing issue seen.

Generally issues like you describe come from routing issues on the ISP side or based on a network which is being used to peer to the server. In some cases changing routes on the server side is possible to allow better connectivity, in other cases you will need to approach your ISP to ask them to review and fix the route you are taking to the provider.

I hope this helps!

Cheers!

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2016

Without an mtr or traceroutes both ways (from and to the server) it will be hard to point you in the right direction.

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

Already fixed earlier today after @alexjj opened a ticket! :-) Was just a small filter issue on our network edge related to just one IP which was assigned to this customer. @alexjj has received technical details in a ticket response regarding the cause and how it has been fixed.

Thanked by 1sin