Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a smaller & cheaper dedi than the KS-1?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there a smaller & cheaper dedi than the KS-1?

Excluding kidechire. And I am well aware that what I describe below is a damn VPS, as well just running the damn thing as a dedi would cost more that the selling price.

Pretty much I would be interested at a light version of the KS1 - so an atom based box with at least:

Nic: 100Mbit+
Ram: 1GB+
Disk: 80GB+
Cpu: 2 threads @ ~ thread score of the N2800
Obviously cheaper than the KS1.

Does such a thing exist anywhere in the physical world? :)

Comments

• not in this universe

• Not even santa van offer that next cristmass

• no.

• Who?

• @karatekidmonkey said:
    Who?

Rick?

• UnixfyUnixfy Member
    edited November 2016

Who?

• this world is horrible, guess I will have to hope for a ks1 and it being with a n2800 :/

• You should pay Scaleway.com a visit.

• wait for online.net special deals on black friday

• @bugrakoc said:
    You should pay Scaleway.com a visit.

I have used them, but technically they fall under the vps category no?

• NihimNihim Member
    edited November 2016

@Butters said:
    wait for online.net special deals on black friday

nothing that will go as low as KS1 and it even if it does it will be with the via nano which is pretty weak.

edit: In retrospect, I should have edited my above post (acted too fast). If any mod wants to merge them, by all means do so.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited November 2016

Some providers may sell these so called "Blade Servers".

There are some 4U-6U racks that contain up to 20-40 individual blades. However at that many blades, you are looking at ARM-level performance.. The pictured ones are more larger individually and thus have more performance and storage/RAM.

Prices can be as low as 40 USD/year if you buy annually.. (3.3 USD/m)

• If you get an offer for that, please let me know, I'd like to colo my Atari 2600.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Would a RPI work?

• @stefeman said:
    Prices can be as low as 40 USD/year if you buy annually.. (3.3 USD/m)

I doubt you'll ever find a price this low. That's really not profitable..

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Thats a "Blade":

• Heres one such offer from late 2015 after a quick google search:

www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1515807

It does exist, but you have to keep ur eyes open for this stuff.. Blade servers are pretty much dead by this point with VPS's taking over the market share.

• RPI as in raspberry? no due to arm performance most likely (doubt they can do n2800 similar core benchmark score).

dream is dying :/

• There's this Digicube server, which is close: http://digicube.fr/rapidserveurs/55

Thanked by 1Nihim
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2016

1) Kidechires, 2 EUR for https://documentation.online.net/en/dedicated-server/offers/2014/server-dedibox-kidechire (long gone, will not return, but those of us who bought, still enjoy them) -- oh just now noticed you said "excluding".

2) https://www.digicube.fr/rapidserveurs from 4 EUR (if paid yearly).

3) Scaleway ARM instance for 3 EUR, but eh, that one is weird and inconvenient in some aspects, with that network-based storage, NATed IPv4 (even though it's a dedicated IP) and no IPv6.

Thanked by 2netomx Nihim
  • @rm_ said:

1. ya already have one.
    2. looks nice but the cpu might be too weak, I guess that's the only candidate so far.
    3. already used, but as I told to bugrakoc isn't that sorta a vps? I mean you get dedicated cores I think (not sure on the VPS model which I use due to the x86 cpu), and networked storage but in the end in a sense it's not really "dedicated".
    edited November 2016

Nihim said: isn't that sorta a vps? I mean you get dedicated cores I think (not sure on the VPS model which I use due to the x86 cpu)

I meant the ARM instance. On those the physical board with a quad core CPU, its own RAM and NIC is all yours to use. Storage is network-based, but there are also some Atom dedis with SAN based storage too (doesn't make them a VPS). Sure, with non-local storage you don't get the same kind of privacy as with local (a local SATA HDD is not readable by host without shutting down your server). But at least you can be certain there's no CPU or RAM overselling, and you can use 100% of all four CPU cores 24x7 without disturbing anyone.

• @rm_ said:

yea that is true. Doubt though any arm can do ~600 benchmark score. Also it's been out of stock for quite some time now. Scaleway was my fall back plan - with the VC1S plan since C1 is mia - but I feel that if I go that way, hell I might as well get the smallest kvm plan from a reputable host and benefit from raid / cpu score.

Nihim said: with the VC1S plan

Well that one is just a regular VPS, you might as well get the OVH VPS-SSD for same 3 EUR and benefit from normal local storage and better IPv6 (still one IP, but at least it's a static one), better DDoS protection and one time fee add-on IPs.

• Nihim said: Doubt though any arm can do ~600 benchmark score. Also it's been out of stock for quite some time now.

Scaleway's arm servers, are more powerful (if used as multithread and not single thread) compared to those weak atoms like kidechire (e.g. n2800 or even older like 270). But it's arm, so, there are software limitations.
    As of out of stock, there are daily "windows" you can grab them, i created one just yesterday.

• @jvnadr said:

Just did a bit of googling, can't really find the score of the Marvell Armada 370 which is what C1 apparently has. On a forum it was "calculated" it has ~ 100-150 passmark, while the n2800 is ~ 600.
    Most of the stuff that I would be running are not multi-thread friendly nor cpu heavy in average but they do some high spikes for few secs.

Nihim said: can't really find the score of the Marvell Armada 370 which is what C1 apparently has.

264 single core, 705 all 4 cores.

http://web.archive.org/web/20160414104522/http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2015/04/15/Oxs7ynjD6TKKb8ta

Compared to N2800
    439 single core, 868 all "4" cores.

http://web.archive.org/web/20160305094140/http://www.bad-code.fr/unixbench-du-ks-1-atom-n2800-2-go-kimsufi

As you can see it's not 4-6 times slower, but much closer.

Thanked by 2Nihim jvnadr
  • @rm_ thank you! my google search term fu is quite weak - what search terms did you use :p

that would be enough to justify getting one and trying it out. But as you pointed out, if I go that way I might as well get the ovh vps for 3.6

But let's keep on dreaming for a bit more.

• rm_ said: 264 single core, 705 all 4 cores.

I had a score ~800 in serverbear on scaleway server (all cores), but I cannot find the results in my email... Must have deleted it...

jvnadr said: I had a score ~800 in serverbear on scaleway server (all cores), but I cannot find the results in my email... Must have deleted it...

Yes, at some point they rolled out an updated kernel version, and the performance improved significantly. Actually I was wondering, are these 264/705 results before or after the improvement.