Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
ESET vs Kaspersky or what Antivirus Software do you use? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

ESET vs Kaspersky or what Antivirus Software do you use?

Comments

• WilliamWilliam Member, Provider

I have OSX.

• Kaspersky or Avira only

• @nqservices said:
    I have read before about Cylance and seems a very good solution. Can i ask you how much is the license price?

Depends on your seat count. You have to go through a reseller until you get to 2,500 seats.

• Webroot or Eset.

• Use Linux most of the time, but on my Windows machine, the builtin Windows Defender works fine for me. Used Avast in past, it was good too, before they started bloating it.

Thanked by 1flatland_spider
  • Malwarebytes.. How bad is McAfee ?

• I use Kaspersky and MalwareBytes

Thanked by 1yermak

[HostSlayer.com] | 250Gbps DDoS Protection | 1GB RAM | 1 CPU | 25GB SSD | 1TB | USA - $1.99/month

• Given choice I'll take Symantec anytime. Its surprisingly light after having years of reputation as most bloated software since 2003s. Detection is good. Detect whatever it supposed to detect, and correctly leave supposedly safe but heuristically suspicious things alone.

However the license is quite expensive so I just settle with ESET.

Kaspersky is potentially good, but for some reason whatever network inspection driver they install fucked my online game performance. Thats enough to make me uninstall it at 5th day of trial.

• I've never seen any better antivirus than Kaspersky in term of high detection rate and low false positives.

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited November 2016

@mailcheap said:
    Kaspersky used to be really light on the resources while having some of the best detection rates on par w/ Symantec; now its just really bloated with some really intrusive stuff like script injection in browsers, hijacking encrypted connections and so on.

This is my experience too.

Got a 5 device Kaspersky license for like £1.99 as I remember hearing good things about it (albeit a long time ago)

Found it slow, bloated, intrusive, annoying and confusing.

Went back to MSE, which is perfect IMO

Also common sense. Sometimes, if I'm really not sure about something, even though MSE doesn't detect a virus, I'll upload it to virustotal.com just to see what other antiviruses think.

MSE always picks them up though in my experience.

Favourite host in general: Ramnode (affiliate link)
    Favourite host for hourly billing/custom ISOs: Vultr ($50 free credit for new accounts, affiliate link)

• +1 Eset for paid; Panda for free

• @rafaelscs said:
    +1 Eset for paid; Panda for free

Got myself Eset NOD32. Think it's enough or is there a reason for all the people mentioning Eset Smart?

• MSE has decent detection rate and it's light on resources.
    The false positives is high though.

• @jamesrat said:
    Gonna be the hipster in the corner. I'm running Cylance on my work and home machines.

Always referring blindly fooled people to this: https://blogs.sophos.com/2016/06/29/thoughts-on-comparative-testing/#more-31647

Thanked by 1Crogic

tsdns.io - free, redundant, DDoS-protected TSDNS

• Kaspersky

• @tr1cky said:

@jamesrat said:
    Gonna be the hipster in the corner. I'm running Cylance on my work and home machines.

Always referring blindly fooled people to this: https://blogs.sophos.com/2016/06/29/thoughts-on-comparative-testing/#more-31647

You are not the first one to point this out. I provide IT services for a lot of different companies and have tested all the big players Sophos included. I ended up going with Cylance after using it through the evaluation and throwing everything I could at it. The footprint is much smaller than any other AV and has caused me less issues than the competition.

The price is higher than Sophos, Kaspersky, Avg etc. But the quality of service is much better. I have had computers crashed because of Sophos, Kaspersky, and AVG. Cylance leaves me in a bad mood when I look at their marketing material. However it's been the only AV that I have found stops Cryptolocker zero days when they break through email filtering.

• AllanEckarAllanEckar Member
    edited June 2018

Choose Bitdefender if you want something balance protection, powered by numerous features that can help to hardened your system. Advanced Threat Defense, Rescue mode, Safe Files and many more should sort out your needs.

Moreover, Bitdefender Antivirus and Total security focused purely on detection which very essential for typical users that rely too much on internet connection, their AVC helps a lot to determine suspicious programs.

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited June 2018

Nice necro posting there after 18 months.

Thanked by 1Lest
  • What the hell-_-

• @Ympker said:

@yomero said:
    Bitdefender here. The free version is really limited. The GUI of the "pro" one isn't that good, but seems to do the job.

Tested the pro one and had trouble with some games :/

I've used bitdefender for a long time but now their engine is too strict for me.

I've had some txt files with unimportant notes and bitdefender killed all those files just like that.
    Now i'm using qihoo 360 and it works great for me.

Two things are infinite: the universe and Hetzner; and I'm not sure about the universe.

-Albert Einstein

• WebProjectWebProject Member, Provider

I personally use Kaspersky as Norton is failed in past

VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN-HVM VPS Plans
    Are you looking for best price for self-managed VPS? See WebProVPS website for more details.
  • raindog308raindog308 Moderator

WebProject said: Kaspersky Secure Connection - worldwide VPN services.

Who in their right mind would use a VPN that is run by the Russian government...

Thanked by 2vimalware vovler

For LET support, please visit the support desk.

• defaultdefault Member
    edited June 2018

Damn you Windows! Now... we got to necro posting in LET for it's vulnerabilities.

And to be on subject... in 2015 (yes, because you like necro topics) I collected 8 different criptowall viruses from infected Windows computers in different cities and locations. I tested all of them with different antivirus softwares, on a machine with DeepFreeze. Best results: Eset, discovered 7/8; second Bitdefender with 5/8.

Therefore, I would recommend not using Windows in the first place. If for some life/death/job reason you can't stop from using Windows, learn to use DeepFreeze and lock the partition with that closed-source operating system (known as Windows) leaving a second partition open to keep documents and projects (configure Windows to store them there). Then use antivirus: Eset installed on second partition so it can update.

I know this is hard, but hey: you chose Windows, and you chose to necro this thread.

Thanked by 1Claverhouse

Fastmako (aff) - great VPS for your needs.

• vovlervovler Member
    edited June 2018

@raindog308 said:

WebProject said: Kaspersky Secure Connection - worldwide VPN services.

Who in their right mind would use a VPN that is run by the Russian government...

Perhaps the US goverment

"They said it's RAID 5" - geekypixal

• bapbap Member

Last time I using win : Avast free version.

• @jamesrat said:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/04/the-mystery-of-the-malware-that-wasnt/

• I have Avast free and Avira free in use.
    Sometimes I check the tests there > https://av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/
    ATM AhnLab have received great points. To me that's unknown name and I haven't tested it ever.

• mkshmksh Member
    edited June 2018

@AllanEckar working hard on your provider tag?

• jsgjsg Member

Eset might probably not be the best (according to diverse tests) way to install a versatile backdoor and ever changing vulnerabilities on ones computer but I really like their logo.

Thanks no.

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Provider

ESET is by far superior! Been using it since 2006 I think it was. Can't even tell it's there, all I do is renew the license ;)

• Previously I used KIS on Windows OSes. After switching to Mac 8 years ago, I have been using my brain to anti-virus :-)

• experttechitexperttechit Member, Provider

Use Webroot Endpoint protection (we are a distributor) costs about £2 a machine per month and is fully managed. (Daily reports) seems to work well.

Also like ESET Nod32

• YmpkerYmpker Member

My ESET will probably soon expire and I don't plan on renewing even though it was a great experience. What free antivirus would be the best in combination with Malwarebytes Premium (got lifetime malwarebytes :P)? I just don't like to rely on windows defender as antivirus :S

• Sophos home

Works great!

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @doughnet said:
    Sophos home

Works great!

I just put a magnet under my router.

• @Ole_Juul said:

@doughnet said:
    Sophos home

Works great!

I just put a magnet under my router.

Great idea. That should attract all the bad packets. Once a month you just clean the magnet from all that garbage packets stuck to it, and throw all that in trash bin; then put back the clean magnet under the router. No virus would expect that, because it can't be seen from the ethernet cable or fiber optics.

Thanked by 1flatland_spider

Fastmako (aff) - great VPS for your needs.

• raindog308raindog308 Moderator

jamesrat said: Cylance leaves me in a bad mood

Cylance completely blows. We implemented on 10K+ systems and have spent tons of time afterwards patching due to memory leaks, bugs, it blowing up systems, etc.

To some extent all the AV systems suck but Cylance comes with a disgusting degree of "we use super-secret AI algorithms" bullshit.

Ironically, the one ransomware attack we saw affected Cylance systems while our Symantec systems that hadn't migrated yet blocked the vuln ;-)

Thanked by 2vimalware netomx

For LET support, please visit the support desk.

• Safe browsing habits! Need to throw your machine into the gauntlet. No antivirus can ever be perfect. I run (each separately one at a time) at a computer repair shop, mbar, mbam, kapersky, stinger, adware medic and usually one or the other picks up something the others didn't.

• sidewindersidewinder Member
    edited June 2018

Block all outgoing DNS requests (so any computer on the network with a resolver configured will fail) at the router/firewall and use quad 9s (or similar DNS resolver) on the router or a customized blocklist layer in front of quad 9s like pihole or pfblockerng for pfsense or a mini vps (preferably in your home city) with netmasq and good block lists updated often and have netmasq use quad 9s or some other malware blocking dns resolver/service.

This makes it pretty hard to get infected. Not impossible, but if you use good blocklists + good DNS resolver with ad-ware blocking and update your lists frequently it is gonna be really hard to get fucked around by a virus or cryptoware with the additional benefit of ad-blocking happening at the router versus configuring on a per-device basis.

This is probably the best advice you will ever get on blocking viruses without having to install AV software on every device in an office or your home or whatever.

Blocking outgoing DNS requests (I think port 53) is key - a VPN to configured for bootleg DNS queries is the only way I know around this, but I am far from an expert.

• w3e4r5w3e4r5 Member

all AV soft whichs need to buy are shit .Windows 10 internal Microsoft Defender, Free, Light, enough.

• Ympker said: just don't like to rely on windows defender as antivirus :S

it's pretty good antivirus in terms of resource consumption, malware and bad things detection. Of course I talk about only latest Windows Defender on Win10

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I don't use an antivirus.

I don't have the will or resources.

Thanked by 2that_guy Falzo

You are dreaming. | And it's a nightmare. | THE SECRET THREAD | THE TRUTH | HAVES YOU SEEN THIS YURA?
    „Homo homini rattus.“ | It's not nightmare, it's reality, but it's still nightmare.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@desperand said:

Ympker said: just don't like to rely on windows defender as antivirus :S

it's pretty good antivirus in terms of resource consumption, malware and bad things detection. Of course I talk about only latest Windows Defender on Win10

Thought about getting bitdefender free because its resource consumption is said to be very low and its detection rate way higher than windows defender. It also does not have any additional shit. Or I'll keep relying on malewarebytes Premium keeping any infections from the web from me and continue to use brain.exe xD

• Whats about McAfee or Sophos

• edfoxedfox Member

I have a lifetime license for "Common Sense" since 1998. Really good piece of antivirus software.

Thanked by 2jetchirag that_guy
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2018

@edfox said:
    I have a lifetime license for "Common Sense" since 1998. Really good piece of antivirus software.

And I'm looking for a free antivirus solution (once Eset expires) on top of that with better detection rates than Windows defender^^ I've not been infected with Virus or Malware for years and I'd very much like to keep it like that. Common SenseTM has been playing a big part in this but so did eset and malwarebytes when I had to defy common sense to visit sites I wanted to.

• mkshmksh Member

@Ympker said:

@edfox said:

And I'm looking for a free antivirus solution (once Eset expires) on top of that with better detection rates than Windows defender^^ I've not been infected with Virus or Malware for years and I'd very much like to keep it like that. Common SenseTM has been playing a big part in this but so did eset and malwarebytes when I had to defy common sense to visit sites I wanted to.

Locking down your browser would probably be even better. If you get hit by some exploit chances are high you will be infected no matter what you are running. Any serious malware is regularly checked against the common AV tools and adjusted if it starts getting detected.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2018

@mksh said:

@Ympker said:

@edfox said:

Locking down your browser would probably be even better. If you get hit by some exploit chances are high you will be infected no matter what you are running. Any serious malware is regularly checked against the common AV tools and adjusted if it starts getting detected.

I'm already browsing these kinda sites with Epic Browser (to block all sorta shit) and Malwarebytes Pro in a Win10 VM. There is avast sandbox mode too but I trust a vm more tbh

Thanked by 1vovler
  • mkshmksh Member

@Ympker said:

@mksh said:

@Ympker said:

@edfox said:

I'm already browsing these kinda sites with Epic Browser (to block all sorta shit) and Malwarebytes Pro in a Win10 VM. There is avast sandbox mode too but I trust a vm more tbh

Nice. I have to admit that seems pretty good. I'd just restore the VM from an image though instead of running AV on it. No idea about that Epic Browser. Probably not bad but when i see claims like only we do it while knowing that this isn't true (i block canvas myself and i've never heard of this browser before) i get a bit of a funny feeling.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • vovlervovler Member

@Ympker said:

And yet you fall for the nigerian price emails, but you could protect yourself if you used "RANDOMWORD"vpn.com, by clicking my affiliate link. What? VPNs don't protect you from scams or from executing a suspicious file, but... but ... VPNs do block viruses, that's what my favorite youtuber said.

Thanked by 2netomx that_guy

"They said it's RAID 5" - geekypixal