Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Cloud Desktop on Windows Server 2012 R2 Keeps shutting down (SOLVED)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Cloud Desktop on Windows Server 2012 R2 Keeps shutting down (SOLVED)

mecman2mecman2 Member
edited November 2016 in Help

I recently purchased an OVH cloud desktop which is running on Windows Server 2012 R2, From day one, the server keeps shutting down by itself,even when i leave an open pdf document on the desktop, the next time i login its all closed. I'm a teacher, and some times i needs i leave research documents open on the internet browser, but when next i connect to the server,i always notice all apps are closed.

Please can anyone help me, i have given up contacting OVH,I actually spent 10days before I was able to login in and now for over 6days server keeps shutting down and shutting down any app left open on the desktop

Update:
This issue is very common with OVH new customers, however its a windows issue not OVHs. To fix this issue . Follow the below steps

The is was on Windows Server 2012 R2: The Amount of idle time required before suspending session at default is 15 minutes

To fix this Go to You can also go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy \Security Options > Microsoft Network server: Amount of idle time required before suspending session and change it from 15min to 99999min

Still confused you can check here http://superuser.com/questions/558920/disable-windows-server-2012-automatic-log-off

Thanks everyone for the contribution i really appreciate and @simonindia i will be looking at your alternative next, one this expires. And my biggest thanks goes to @rm_

Poll not found

Comments

• Might not be this issue, but make sure your windows is licensed (should be, if you paid for it) and activated (sometimes you just need to give it a kick). If not, contact OVH support, they should be able to get you a key for use in their network.

Thanked by 1mecman2
    • I have the same problem and I opened a ticket with them, but they did not reply.
      Do you use the HTML client or the Windows Horizon client?

Thanked by 1mecman2
    • YesIt fully licences, I have written to them several times but nothing till now

• @M_Ordinateur i connect via any of the both,

• KamAKamA Member, Host Rep

Try giving them a call, always quicker via phone

Thanked by 2doghouch mecman2
    • [url]https://www.sendspace.com/file/29z0mm[/url] Its a screen shot of my windows licence

• TheOnlyDK said: make sure your windows is licensed (should be, if you paid for it) and activated

This is a DaaS (Desktop as a Service) product with preinstalled apps: "You get a Windows environment that includes: Windows licence, Apache LibreOffice, Adobe Acrobat Reader…" Source.

Thanked by 2mecman2 TheOnlyDK
    • @KamA said:

I would love to but i live in Cairo it very expensive to make such calls here

• @M_Ordinateur said:

TheOnlyDK said: make sure your windows is licensed (should be, if you paid for it) and activated

This is a DaaS (Desktop as a Service) product with preinstalled apps: "You get a Windows environment that includes: Windows licence, Apache LibreOffice, Adobe Acrobat Reader…" Source.

I uninstalled the Apache LibreOffice, Adobe Acrobat Reader on it and its 3 times faster,but the issue reamins it keeps shutting down

• KamAKamA Member, Host Rep

@mecman2 said:

@KamA said:

Ah, I see. I've read that emailing them is also quicker than ticket, but I can't comment as I've not emailed them for technical support

Thanked by 2mecman2 MrMonkey
    • I already did that and they told me to open a ticket,and i did that. They replied me that they do not support 3rd party apps and i said that has nothing to do with my server shutting down. I want my desktop the same way i left it during the last session. But till now no reply.

• mecman2mecman2 Member
      edited November 2016

@KamA said:

@mecman2 said:

@KamA said:

Ah, I see. I've read that emailing them is also quicker than ticket, but I can't comment as I've not emailed them for technical support

Just to let you know that i also joined their forum too, but discovered it was a ghost town

• doghouchdoghouch Member
      edited November 2016

@mecman2 said:

@KamA said:

Get a free VoIP app. Everyone is right though - OVH's support is basically a large pit of void unless you call them ;)

Thanked by 1mecman2
    • saibalsaibal Member
      edited November 2016

Does OVH kill idle cloud desktop instances? Although their page says: "This means that your workspace and applications are always available."

mecman2 said: They replied me that they do not support 3rd party apps

Did you leave Firefox open? Try leaving FF running since its in their list of preinstalled apps. FF has a decent built-in PDF viewer too.

Thanked by 1mecman2
    • @mecman2 if North America LV works for you get a Slice with BuyVM and problem solved. I do have a DaaS with OVH and have the same issue with you.

Thanked by 1mecman2
    • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Netxons said:
      @mecman2 if North America LV works for you get a Slice with BuyVM and problem solved. I do have a DaaS with OVH and have the same issue with you.

Thanks!

I'm assuming they spin down anything that isn't actively being used.

Francisco

Thanked by 1mecman2
    • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

It's basically your own fault for trying to use this "product". I remember needing to tweak some settings during beta so that it doesn't lock screen all the time, and possibly against the log-outs too. Don't remember where exactly, but try digging here: http://superuser.com/questions/558920/disable-windows-server-2012-automatic-log-off

Thanked by 1mecman2
    • @saibal said:
      Does OVH kill idle cloud desktop instances? Although their page says: "This means that your workspace and applications are always available."

mecman2 said: They replied me that they do not support 3rd party apps

Did you leave Firefox open? Try leaving FF running since its in their list of preinstalled apps. FF has a decent built-in PDF viewer too.

Yep. i tried leaving only firefox open but its still shut it down too.

• M_OrdinateurM_Ordinateur Member
      edited November 2016

rm_ said: It's basically your own fault for trying to use this "product".

This is not a free beta on Runabove anymore. As it is now a paid product, they should at least document the fact it has some kind auto-shutdown.

• @Francisco said:

@Netxons said:
      @mecman2 if North America LV works for you get a Slice with BuyVM and problem solved. I do have a DaaS with OVH and have the same issue with you.

Thanks!

I'm assuming they spin down anything that isn't actively being used.

Francisco

I'm afraid to day but it seems you are right,they spin down anything that isn't actively being used

• @doghouch said:

@mecman2 said:

@KamA said:

Get a free VoIP app

I will search for one and also try too, i rented this desktop for FX trading but its obvious that they keep shutting down my vps and i cant run live or demo trades

• @mecman2 said:
      I recently purchased an OVH cloud desktop which is running on Windows Server 2012 R2, From day one, the server keeps shutting down by itself,even when i leave an open pdf document on the desktop, the next time i login its all closed. I'm a teacher, and some times i needs i leave research documents open on the internet browser, but when next i connect to the server,i always notice all apps are closed.

Please can anyone help me, i have given up contacting OVH,I actually spent 10days before I was able to login in and now for over 6days server keeps shutting down and shutting down any app left open on the desktop

If you want help regarding OVH cloud desktop their support is the only way but they are literally non existent

If I were in your situation i would buy an Slice from @Francisco and use it as Desktop they have free license if Las-vegas will be high latency for you

I will get an KVM from luna node 4096 MB (high-memory) and setup windows in Roubaix

if that to will not work then there are other better ways to setup an good stable Remote Desktop machine or "Cloud desktop" from OVH

Thanked by 1mecman2
    • mecman2mecman2 Member
      edited November 2016

@rm_ said:
      It's basically your own fault for trying to use this "product". I remember needing to tweak some settings during beta so that it doesn't lock screen all the time, and possibly against the log-outs too. Don't remember where exactly, but try digging here: http://superuser.com/questions/558920/disable-windows-server-2012-automatic-log-off

You are absolutely correct it looks very correct, let me try that and hope it can work

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
      edited November 2016

M_Ordinateur said: This is not a free beta on Runabove anymore. As it is now a paid product

Yet it's nowhere near ready for that, as we see with this thread.

Sorry if I wasn't clear but I used it during beta and ended up really annoyed with it. My testing ended when I accidentally disabled the network card (trying to fix some VPN related issue), and there was no way to restore it. Access to the desktop is also implemented via the same network interface, so I got instantly disconnected. They didn't have a button to reboot your desktop (likely still don't), only an option to "Reset" it, which, despite claiming otherwise, also deletes all your apps, files and settings. So all my work in customizing the stupid Windows 2012 to not lock out on me, not shutdown and not do a dozen of other retarded things, was in vain and needed to be repeated from scratch.

• mecman2mecman2 Member
      edited November 2016

@simonindia said:

@mecman2 said:

Please can anyone help me, i have given up contacting OVH,I actually spent 10 days before I was able to login in and now for over 6 days server keeps shutting down and shutting down any app left open on the desktop

If you want help regarding OVH cloud desktop their support is the only way but they are literally non existent

If I were in your situation i would buy an Slice from @Francisco and use it as Desktop they have free license if Las-vegas will be high latency for you

I will get an KVM from luna node 4096 MB (high-memory) and setup windows in Roubaix

if that to will not work then there are other better ways to setup an good stable Remote Desktop machine or "Cloud desktop" from OVH

Thanks for that alternative Idea. I will keep that in mind.
      ISSUE RESOLVED:

The issue was on Windows Server 2012 R2: The Amount of idle time required before suspending session at default is 15 minutes

To fix this Go to
      You can also go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy
      \Security Options > Microsoft Network server: Amount of idle time required before suspending session and change it from 15min to 99999min

Thanks everyone for the contribution i really appreciate and @simonindia i will be looking at your alternative next, one this expires

• @mecman2 said:

Well I'm glad you were able to fix it