Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KernelCare
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KernelCare

moonmartinmoonmartin Member
edited November 2016 in General

Tried out the free trial. Pretty straight forward. Only question is does this patch everything or just security/critical bug patches? Looks like the latter as far as I can tell even though they sort of imply, on first glance, that it does everything and you "never have to reboot again".

Doesn't update the actual uname -r kernel version. Only the version as shown from /usr/bin/kcarectl --info.

So do people still update their kernels the old fashioned way once in awhile? To get all updates and not just the security/critical stuff? What's the consensus on this as far as best practices?

Any gotchas if I yum update vzkernel and reboot with KernelCare installed? According to their FAQ that is not a problem as it detects the version installed patches each time it runs. What happens if I uninstall it. Do the applied kpatches get uninstalled too?

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2016

It patches just security updates. I still do "yum update" but I don't reboot unless I really need to. Never had an issue when I did reboot with KernelCare installed. Can't comment on the uninstall question.

Only issue I've had so far with KernelCare was a bug that crashed our KVM nodes but they fixed it relatively quickly (info here).

• moonmartin said: Doesn't update the actual uname -r kernel version. Only the version as shown from /usr/bin/kcarectl --info.

/usr/bin/kcare-uname

• RadWebHostingRadWebHosting Member, Host Rep

It works wonders. Not much difference in reliability between this or Ksplice, but I like the CloudLinux family of products much more than Oracle.

Thanked by 1Fusl
  • moonmartinmoonmartin Member
    edited November 2016

I'll probably bite the bullet. I guess it's time. Seems to be a pretty good solution.

• I use it for a game server and it seems to work fine.