Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Don't get scammed

Don't get scammed

jarlandjarland Administrator
edited November 2016 in Announcements

A quick public service announcement for the members of LowEndTalk:

This forum has long been a popular target for people who take money and disappear with it. Right now, a couple of items are higher risk than others. Please do not purchase either of these things from members that you do not know very well:

  • Colocation
  • Hardware

Currently there is one scammer (Joshua Prout) that we are expecting to see return multiple times over the next few months. We may not know that it is him right away each time, so be careful.

Stay safe, buy smart. When in doubt, ask the staff here or long time, respected members of the community for advice.

Latest Joshua Prout scam:
MyDediBoxLLC

MXroute - Email Hosting - $40/2years 40GB Storage, Unlimited Accounts, Order here

Comments

  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Provider

    Make sure this post is in somewhere that google picks up that way others will see it from google.

    Francisco

    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based / TUN + PPTP + FUSE+ SIT + GRE Support / Fully Managed / Anycast Support! / Stallion Control Panel
    BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address
  • Tl:dr use your brain, before your debit card!

    Hosts I like: OVH GoMach5. Delimiter leaks personal information - Jack007 sucks Best VPS host: https://vps247.com - My posts are strictly my opinion, and not of my employers

  • DrFallenDrFallen Member, Provider

    @hawc said: Tl:dr use your brain, before your debit card!

    What's a debit card?

  • @DrFallen said:

    @hawc said: Tl:dr use your brain, before your debit card!

    What's a debit card?

    A card that takes the money direct from your bank account. Common in the U.K.

    Got Sister? #keepinitcociu

    Thanked by 1Asim
  • @Nekki said:

    @DrFallen said:

    @hawc said: Tl:dr use your brain, before your debit card!

    What's a debit card?

    A card that takes the money direct from your bank account. Common in the U.K.

    This is the first serious comment I read from you. WTF Nekki? Got Married?

    Misterhost.NET (aff) 30% OFF with coupon LET30

  • DrFallenDrFallen Member, Provider

    @WHT said:

    @Nekki said:

    @DrFallen said:

    @hawc said: Tl:dr use your brain, before your debit card!

    What's a debit card?

    A card that takes the money direct from your bank account. Common in the U.K.

    This is the first serious comment I read from you. WTF Nekki? Got Married?

    I too am slightly surprised makes me feel a little bad for my comment. I mean burning plastic is cool but I'd rather just stick them all on my phone. Plus isn't Paypal supposed to be "New money" according to their ads.

  • @WHT said:

    @Nekki said:

    @DrFallen said:

    @hawc said: Tl:dr use your brain, before your debit card!

    What's a debit card?

    A card that takes the money direct from your bank account. Common in the U.K.

    This is the first serious comment I read from you. WTF Nekki? Got Married?

    Kiss my arse.

    Got Sister? #keepinitcociu

  • @Nekki said:

    @WHT said:

    @Nekki said:

    @DrFallen said:

    @hawc said: Tl:dr use your brain, before your debit card!

    What's a debit card?

    A card that takes the money direct from your bank account. Common in the U.K.

    This is the first serious comment I read from you. WTF Nekki? Got Married?

    Kiss my arse.

    K sounds better.

    Misterhost.NET (aff) 30% OFF with coupon LET30

    Thanked by 2bugrakoc postcd
  • @jarland said: A quick public service announcement for the members of LowEndTalk:

    This forum has long been a popular target for people who take money and disappear with it. Right now, a couple of items are higher risk than others. Please do not purchase either of these things from members that you do not know very well:

    • Colocation
    • Hardware

    Currently there is one scammer (Joshua Prout) that we are expecting to see return multiple times over the next few months. We may not know that it is him right away each time, so be careful.

    Stay safe, buy smart. When in doubt, ask the staff here or long time, respected members of the community for advice.

    Colocation should anyway never be purchased from a reseller, its much more beneficial to purchase it directly with the datacenter itself.

  • jarlandjarland Administrator

    zafouhar said: Colocation should anyway never be purchased from a reseller, its much more beneficial to purchase it directly with the datacenter itself.

    You can very rarely get a deal nearly as decent for a single server as you can from a reseller. Someone renting a bunch of space for their own racks gets a lot better deal than a one-off 2U colo deal.

    That said, people need to be less quick to ship off expensive hardware to people they don't know, that started a "company" 3 weeks before they make the offer ;)

    MXroute - Email Hosting - $40/2years 40GB Storage, Unlimited Accounts, Order here

  • VortexMagnusVortexMagnus Member, Provider

    Agree with @Jarland

    In our case, we often have a few u here and there, so we'll let someone take that for peanuts. Helps contribute to rack costs at the end of the day, so long as they aren't affecting your operation.

    Definitely good to use a 'resller' or DC tenant for half cabs or below.

    VortexNode.com Affordable & Reliable Hosting - Shared, Reseller, VPS & Dedicated Servers

  • qpsqps Member, Provider

    WARNING: @Gotech is @jason25

    https://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/92779/jason25 https://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/147545/gotech

    Moderators seem to want to give him another chance even though he is involved in similar scams as are described in this thread...

    QuickPacket - Since 2003 - Dedicated Servers in Atlanta and Los Angeles

    Ask us about cheap internal licenses for cPanel, WHMCS, Softaculous, DirectAdmin (available with server purchase)

    Thanked by 2Admiral_Awesome Asim
  • jarlandjarland Administrator

    @qps said: WARNING: @Gotech is @jason25

    https://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/92779/jason25 https://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/147545/gotech

    Moderators seem to want to give him another chance even though he is involved in similar scams as are described in this thread...

    This may very well be true. User signed in as @jason25 and noticed ban, immediately signed out and signed up as @gotech. I believe they offered evidence that provided some suggestion to @ishaq that it is not the same person. I'll leave it to his discretion.

    MXroute - Email Hosting - $40/2years 40GB Storage, Unlimited Accounts, Order here

  • @jarland said:

    @qps said: WARNING: @Gotech is @jason25

    https://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/92779/jason25 https://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/147545/gotech

    Moderators seem to want to give him another chance even though he is involved in similar scams as are described in this thread...

    This may very well be true. User signed in as @jason25 and noticed ban, immediately signed out and signed up as @gotech. I believe they offered evidence that provided some suggestion to @ishaq that it is not the same person. I'll leave it to his discretion.

    Just a small update. Why does he also have the valvps in his signature if I remember correctly wasn't that jason25? I had bad deals with valvps and I'm pretty sure it is Jason

  • A simple google search goes a long way.... and there are many other resources online to validate a host. If you are skeptical... don't put anything you can't lose on it.

  • jarlandjarland Administrator

    UPDATE: Joshua Prout's latest scam is called MyDediBoxLLC. See him here:

    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=9798617

    Evidence will not be shared at this time. Take it or leave it.

    MXroute - Email Hosting - $40/2years 40GB Storage, Unlimited Accounts, Order here

    Thanked by 2alown Master_Bo
  • He didn't even try on the name this time.

    Free Image Hosting - https://i.dawgy.pw
    Main Site - https://dawgy.pw

  • qpsqps Member, Provider

    FYI - @LuRo60 is likely the same person as @jason25 and @gotech.

    QuickPacket - Since 2003 - Dedicated Servers in Atlanta and Los Angeles

    Ask us about cheap internal licenses for cPanel, WHMCS, Softaculous, DirectAdmin (available with server purchase)

    Thanked by 1hawc
  • cubedatacubedata Member, Provider

    @jarland said: UPDATE: Joshua Prout's latest scam is called MyDediBoxLLC. See him here:

    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=9798617

    Evidence will not be shared at this time. Take it or leave it.

    I will take it as I and everyone else of the LET community appreciates you stopping him from trying to scam us again

    CubeData FraudRecord Module: https://cubedata.net/fraudrecord OpenNebula module: https://cubedata.net/opennebula now for blesta & whmcs Also check out our vps's!

    Thanked by 2jarland Junkless
  • jarlandjarland Administrator

    Anyone looking for good deals on stolen hardware?

    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1611272

    Spoiler alert: He'll probably take the money and not ship you the hardware he's stolen because he's just that much of a prick. (Joshua Prout)

    MXroute - Email Hosting - $40/2years 40GB Storage, Unlimited Accounts, Order here

    Thanked by 1Junkless
  • @jarland said: Anyone looking for good deals on stolen hardware?

    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1611272

    Spoiler alert: He'll probably take the money and not ship you the hardware he's stolen because he's just that much of a prick. (Joshua Prout)

    Had a mini panic attack as I just got some hardware... Luckily it appears to be a different guy entirely. Order was done via eBay regardless for the added protection simply because Joshua Prout is continually cropping up every other week and wasn't wanting to be scammed. Again - Thank you for looking out for the community!

  • VortexMagnusVortexMagnus Member, Provider

    What an arse..

    VortexNode.com Affordable & Reliable Hosting - Shared, Reseller, VPS & Dedicated Servers

    Thanked by 1IThinkUFailed
  • qpsqps Member, Provider

    jarland said: stolen hardware?

    I think these are stolen pictures he lifted from someone else. I suspect if you spent the time to look, you could find someone else who posted this stuff in the past.

    QuickPacket - Since 2003 - Dedicated Servers in Atlanta and Los Angeles

    Ask us about cheap internal licenses for cPanel, WHMCS, Softaculous, DirectAdmin (available with server purchase)

    Thanked by 1jarland
  • @jarland said: Anyone looking for good deals on stolen hardware?

    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1611272

    Spoiler alert: He'll probably take the money and not ship you the hardware he's stolen because he's just that much of a prick. (Joshua Prout)

    Temp suspension from WHT

  • It's funny that scammers think they can get off scott free. I tracked down a scammer years ago that tried to steal $1500 from me (PhotonWeb in Los Angeles), and I beat the living shit out of him as he walked to his car. There are violent people in the world, including some geeks. That guy Josh will get what he deserves sooner or later.

  • Thank you for the alert.

  • tragictragic Member, Provider

    Wow. Does anyone have the back story to this guy?

    TragicServers - Performance VPS, Game and Voice Servers
    KVM starting at $1.66/month - Deploy today! - FREE $2 credit when you mention this signature ;)

  • liveinhostliveinhost Member, Provider
    edited December 2016

    hey guys, today a hour before putting this comment, as soon an we posted an advert in LET, our main website was attacked from 23.250.3.10 Never happened like this before !!!

    LIVEINHOST - Cheapest Web Hosting & OpenVZ SolusVM VPS https://www.liveinhost.com 24/7 live chat | Starting at $2/Month VPS

  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Provider

    @liveinhost said: hey guys, today a hour before putting this comment, as soon an we posted an advert in LET, our main website was attacked from 23.250.3.10 Never happened like this before !!!

    Ha, sorry to laugh. But LET is not the place to put anything you dont want bombarded by attacks.

    lowendtaIk.com for sale - Need a number? Ask me about $7 VoIP! - VirtKick 4.00GHz KVM from $5 in CA and FR from $5 O_o

  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Provider

    @pbgben said:

    @liveinhost said: hey guys, today a hour before putting this comment, as soon an we posted an advert in LET, our main website was attacked from 23.250.3.10 Never happened like this before !!!

    Ha, sorry to laugh. But LET is not the place to put anything you dont want bombarded by attacks.

    My test IP is DDoS'ed every other day it seems. Not sure if its people testing the network or what not.

    lowendtaIk.com for sale - Need a number? Ask me about $7 VoIP! - VirtKick 4.00GHz KVM from $5 in CA and FR from $5 O_o

    Thanked by 1doghouch
  • ethancedrikethancedrik Member
    edited January 4

    I imagine resellers of OVH, especially if they're doing MC server hosting via multicraft or some other hosting thing with the whmcs panel, are probably DoS/DDoS'd daily. If I ran something like that I'd probably just set up an email filter to shove all the VAC emails to one inbox lol

  • HxxxHxxx Member

    Sound like HVH schemes. Still waiting for them to get banned. Oh wait they own the forum, makes sense now.

  • jarlandjarland Administrator

    @Hxxx said: Sound like HVH schemes. Still waiting for them to get banned. Oh wait they own the forum, makes sense now.

    If you can prove to me that HVH took money from people and disappeared in a scam, I'll ban @jbiloh myself.

    Seems kind of unlikely considering that they continue to sell and provision services, though. One can't have disappeared and still be here.

    MXroute - Email Hosting - $40/2years 40GB Storage, Unlimited Accounts, Order here

    Thanked by 1VortexMagnus
  • NickNick Administrator

    jarland said: If you can prove to me that HVH took money from people and disappeared in a scam, I'll ban @jbiloh myself.

    Seems kind of unlikely considering that they continue to sell and provision services, though. One can't have disappeared and still be here.

Sign In or Register to comment.