Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ISP network issues.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ISP network issues.

varunchopravarunchopra Member
edited October 2016 in Outages

I've been having a lot of connectivity issues with my VPS with Inception. Haven't really bothered to make a ticket about it (they ask you to answer a lot of questions listed in the knowledgebase).

I currently pay about 3-4 EUR/mo. for their NL 2 GB plan. Would love some alternatives.

Comments

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Our servers in NL have been running just great.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • MrGeneral said: Our servers in NL have been running just great.

I can connect fine now. Which is what annoys me. It won't stabilize.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2016

I would be more than happy to look in to it for you, there are a lot of questions when opening a ticket about certain issues because 9/10 times the issue is not within my control.

I have dealt with 3 tickets today as it happens complaining of network issues which turned out to be packet loss within the users ISP/1st or 2nd hop.

But if you just want a change without looking in to why, that's fine I understand and I cant offer any solutions to that.

edit: Just did a quick check based on your last IP used to login:

Host                                Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
     2. 100ge.cr0-br2-br3.smartdc.rtm.i3  0.0%    16   11.6   8.7   1.9  18.7   5.7
     3. 60ge.ar0-cr0.nikhef.ams.i3d.net   0.0%    16    6.8  13.1   1.9  36.2  11.3
     4. 80.249.211.191                    0.0%    16   24.5  35.5  24.5  68.4  12.0
     5. 182.79.255.85                     0.0%    16  212.1 219.1 211.6 237.2   7.7
     6. 125.19.38.110                    86.7%    16  231.1 233.1 231.1 235.1   2.8
     7. x.x.x.x                          80.0%    16  223.5 247.6 223.5 262.7  21.1

I took out any identifying IP's, you have high latency and probably some congestion/packet loss within your ISP's network, the Netherlands is probably not the best location for you, if you want me to move you to another location just let me know.

You might also be better off getting a server closer to home, happy to refund your last payment as well if it helps, no point having a VPS you cant use.

Hopefully that explains the reason for the questions when opening network issue tickets :)

If you would consider updating the title that would be appreciated as it unfairly portrays the issue.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2016

AnthonySmith said: I took out any identifying IP's, you have high latency and probably some congestion/packet loss within your ISP's network, the Netherlands is probably not the best location for you, if you want me to move you to another location just let me know.

To be fair, a lot of ISPs block traceroutes back to residential/business IPs. Combine that with dropping most ICMP on a router and an MTR back to the customer could be a false positive on that note. I can actually reproduce a similar result running an MTR to my home IP from a server that I have no problem reaching.

Now if you're getting all the way to their IP in the trace and the packet loss carries back all the way, fair enough. But I'd say you won't know for sure unless they submit an MTR from them to the server.

• Personally I've never seen an ISP partially drop ICMP, it's either blocked or it's not.

@varunchopra

Can you run an MTR to the IP you have with Inception so we can determine if it's your ISP's fault and modify the title so it doesn't wrongly proclaim the situation?

If you're on Windows you can use the WinMTR tool.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Might not be that this time @Jarland.

From London to 125.19.38.110 via Level3 I see no packet loss. Very likely one of the upstream ports to the end user network is saturated.

Thanked by 1jar

jarland said: Now if you're getting all the way to their IP in the trace and the packet loss carries back all the way, fair enough. But I'd say you won't know for sure unless they submit an MTR from them to the server.

Indeed, however not a single ticket opened which actually asks for that among other things so I can only go based on what I can actually see/access.

I have checked it from the UK, Japan, NL, all similar results, if it was 100% loss at a few hops but getting there ( it is ) I would assume tracert/ICMP blocking, with 80 - 90% loss consistently and only 1 direction available to me I accept it may be ICMP queuing, but queuing happens for a reason, usually congestion.

That combined with the fact that I host my own panel on the same physical network, I assure you, if there is a real network problem in that location I am usually the first to know.

But always happy to help anyway, I can only do so much if this is the way I find out someone has an issue, i.e. help me help you.

Thanked by 1jar

Ishaq said: Personally I've never seen an ISP partially drop ICMP

I have, they do it when the switch/router/device/whatever is being hammered and is highly congested to save on processing, which in itself is an indication of a 'problem' and this is the sticking plaster.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I have, they do it when the switch/router/device/whatever is being hammered and is highly congested to save on processing, which in itself is an indication of a 'problem' and this is the sticking plaster.

Yeah. ICMP is lower priority for DDoS mitigated networks due to the number of packets they process but on residential ISP networks it's unlikely to be the case and would be indicative of a problem.

Either way a reverse MTR is the only way to find out.

Indeed, but either way, this user is having issues, I am confident it is not the network my side which means it is another factor I cant control as such the only offers/suggestions I can make are to move locations or refund and find a host closer to home, happy to do either.

• Title has been adjusted.

• Thanks for the response. I wasn't being a cockwielder albeit it sure looks like it. I asked 2 more people (Germany, Thailand) to look into it and they said it wasn't loading for them as well.

I did mail you a week ago but I never got a response so I just let it off thinking you'd ask me to a make a ticket with all the questions answered. :/ Then the whole DDoS shit came up so I figured that was the reason everything was slow. If my ISP is the issue then I'll just look elsewhere till I find something that works for me. Thanks for the response. Appreciate it.

• Ha

No worries, I generally don't see/respond to direct emails.

I did just use your ISP's looking glass to do further tests the other way, the traffic never actually reaches the NL network and has 300+ms latency on just the 2nd hop so you for sure have an issue, it is just not one I can fix.

Pop a ticket in for a refund, its no problem honestly.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    No worries, I generally don't see/respond to direct emails.

I did just use your ISP's looking glass to do further tests the other way, the traffic never actually reaches the NL network and has 300+ms latency on just the 2nd hop so you for sure have an issue, it is just not one I can fix.

Pop a ticket in for a refund, its no problem honestly.

That's how you become a provider

Thanked by 1varunchopra