Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Australian Red Cross Blood Bank database breach!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Australian Red Cross Blood Bank database breach!

GravelyGravely Member
edited October 2016 in Outages

IMPORTANT UPDATE
We regret to inform the community that on 26 October we became aware a file containing registration information of 550,000 donors made between 2010 and 2016 was placed in an insecure environment. IDCARE, a national identity and cyber support service, has assessed the information accessed as of low risk of future direct misuse. Included in the file was information such as names, addresses and dates of birth. This information was copied, and then brought to the attention of the Australian Cyber Emergency Response Team (AusCERT) with whom the Blood Service has membership. To our knowledge all known copies of the data have been deleted, however investigations are continuing. Secure and sensitive medical information held on the Blood Service’s internal systems was not compromised.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Now, why does this not surprise me? Companies are failing on all counts to properly ensure their security. One mistake can lead to a world of nightmares for companies.

• Okay

• @GCat said:
    Now, why does this not surprise me? Companies are failing on all counts to properly ensure their security. One mistake can lead to a world of nightmares for companies.

I Agree, according to The technical team, it was a 3rd party (that manages the websites), fault for transfering the database to an unsecure location...

• jhjh Member

This is why I don't give blood.

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS
  • Very unfortunate! Some hackers not even spare blood banks! :(

• May be just a victim of a "practice breach" or a warm-up exercise.

• Bumping an old thread, and didn't even do any research.
    The leak was from a 3rd party who placed a backup of the data on a public facing site.
    Some guy found the file, reported finding it, the file was quickly removed, and no evidence of anyone else accessing the data has been found.