Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iwstack cloud disk I/O problems
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

iwstack cloud disk I/O problems

buderus199buderus199 Member
edited October 2016 in Providers

Hello,

after a disk problems two weeks ago, we have very slow disk I/O on our cloud box. I did open support ticket and they told me that they are waiting manufacturer of SAN to repair it (cache problems), but they can't give me ETA for the repair. Slow disk causes my website to be very slow, and I'm loosing money with my e-commerce site. Disk I/O goes from 15MB/S to 80MB/s, which is very slow. Anyone with similar problems on iwstack? Someone has more info about this?

Thanks

Comments

• cassacassa Member
    edited October 2016

buderus199 said: Anyone with similar problems on iwstack?

buderus199 said: they told me that they are waiting manufacturer of SAN to repair it (cache problems)

So I guess there are others having the same issue

• I need estimated time of accomplishment, I can't wait forever. That's the problem and this is the reason of my question post.

• @buderus199 said:
    I need estimated time of accomplishment, I can't wait forever. That's the problem and this is the reason of my question post.

Then no offence but fucking ask them. We don't know the ins and outs of iwStack. Half the people wouldnt care. Move your website if it impacts it

Thanked by 1K4Y5
  • Man, relax... Maybe some other client knows more then me?

• @buderus199 said:
    Man, relax... Maybe some other client knows more then me?

I am chill. Why would they? Surely if you've asked and they not said everyone else is in the same bloody boat

• zserozsero Member
    edited October 2016

Just move it to any other zone. I had slow disk in NL but Italy has always been perfect.

Thanked by 1buderus199
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

buderus199 said: Disk I/O goes from 15MB/S to 80MB/s,

how are you measuring that?

• Using dd?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

I doubt his sequential write speed is losing the money, I guess my point was that 15-80MB /s is not the best sequential write speed but I find it hard to believe it is responsible for losing money, how would you even accurately measure that metric?

An eCommerce site surely needs better random reads which probably have not been measured and can be improved with better caching.

Sounds more like a classic complaint being used to blame poor sales or because someone said it should be faster.

Thanked by 1FredQc
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited October 2016

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@buderus199 said:
    I need estimated time of accomplishment, I can't wait forever. That's the problem and this is the reason of my question post.

Then no offence but fucking ask them. We don't know the ins and outs of iwStack. Half the people wouldnt care. Move your website if it impacts it

@buderus199 said:
    Man, relax... Maybe some other client knows more then me?

Why would someone else know more than the "service provider", who has already provided you with an explanation / ETA on resolution?

If the slow "sequential" I/O really is causing you to lose money on your e-commerce site, then spend / invest some money and fucking move your site already. It really is that simple.

Wasting time thinking that a bunch of strangers on a forum will be able to sort issues out with hardware / infrastructure owned by your current service provider is foolish at best.

• @zsero said:
    Just move it to any other zone. I had slow disk in NL but Italy has always been perfect.

Thanks zsero for the suggestion. Will think about it.

@AnthonySmith said:
    I doubt his sequential write speed is losing the money, I guess my point was that 15-80MB /s is not the best sequential write speed but I find it hard to believe it is responsible for losing money, how would you even accurately measure that metric?

An eCommerce site surely needs better random reads which probably have not been measured and can be improved with better caching.

Sounds more like a classic complaint being used to blame poor sales or because someone said it should be faster.

I'm hosting on iwstack for 3 years now, and believe me that I know when site speed drops. Magento is quite heavy on disk I/O and you can see right away that something was changed on hardware. And with slower site speed you are loosing cliets, simple as that. Of course you can think about additional caching (Full Paga Cache), but it worked very good without FPC for a years...

@K4Y5 said:
    If the slow "sequential" I/O really is causing you to lose money on your e-commerce site, then spend / invest some money and fucking move your site already. It really is that simple.

No, moving servers from one provider to another is not that simple.

Oh OK, well when you put it like that......