Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disabling innodb mysql
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Disabling innodb mysql

SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
edited December 2011 in General

Hello,
Well, I don't know if this has been asked before, but, how do you disable innodb on mysql, also, does disabling it cause and ill effect ?

Ps, I'm using centOS

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2011

Simply open your mysql config, (/etc/my.conf I believe) then under the [mysqld] stanza put skip-innodb. That's it, although there are more ways to optimize mysql that is a main one. You might want to also set myisam as the default so it doesn't try and use innodb, you can do that by adding the following line default-storage-engine = myisam.

It should not cause any ill effect unless your DB is set to innodb which you can change.

• add

skip-innodb

under

[mysqld]

in /etc/my.cnf
    If you are using mysql 5.5 or higher, add

ignore-builtin-innodb

and

default-storage-engine = myisam

under

[mysqld]

in /etc/my.cnf

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • http://scorpio-jibin.blogspot.com/2010/01/how-to-turn-off-innodb-engine.html

that link should help you; however, first be sure you don't have anyone using innodb, see

http://www.electrictoolbox.com/find-innodb-tables-mysql/

Hope that helps :)

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Thanks !!! :D

Merry Christmas everyone !!

Thanked by 1tux
  • Anyone know how to install mysql on YUM with innodb disabled?

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

i don't think you can directly disable innodb when installing via yum, maby if you configure / compile it, it maby possible.

Thanked by 1earl
  • Those working with the lowendscript should modify the script as well I would think so that they don't go through this.

• @earl said: Anyone know how to install mysql on YUM with innodb disabled?

You just need to turn it off in /etc/my.cnf before you start it.

Thanked by 1earl
  • @SpeedBus said: i don't think you can directly disable innodb when installing via yum

There is a way with Debian/apt*, I'm pretty sure there the same kind of thing exists for centOS/yum

• @dmmcintyre3 said: You just need to turn it off in /etc/my.cnf before you start it.

I'm thinking now the issue is not with mysql but rather my provider, as I can install with the same specs on another VPS just fine..Maybe I will put in a support ticket.