Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Moneybookers, why the lack of acceptance?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Moneybookers, why the lack of acceptance?

jkr1711jkr1711 Member
edited April 2013 in General

I recently signed up for a Moneybookers (Skrill) account but I've noticed that not that many hosts accept it when compared to other billing methods.

What's the reason? I see there's a monthly fee for merchants, but is that enough to put people off?

Comments

• We use/accept Moneybookers (Skrill) and have no issues at all with them since few months we have been using them.

Cheers

• DamianDamian Member
    edited April 2013

What does it offer me that Paypal/Stripe/Amazon Simple Pay/Google Checkout do not?

(edit) It also looks like it charges me a fee to refund people, and $20 fee if someone charges back. And a fee to receive my money.

• @Damian It has a digital wallet type of system which I prefer as I'd rather just deposit money from my bank account then fiddle with cards etc. PayPal is decent but you have to jump through hoops; they still give me random suspensions despite having a verified address and bank account because of "EU Regulations". But with Moneybookers all I had to do was receive a small bank payment and receive a verification letter through snail mail (rather than upload a bunch of documents) and now I can send up to 17862.60 GBP every 90 days without having anything to worry about.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited April 2013

That doesn't really offer me anything :P

Are you able to pay with Stripe/ASP/Google Checkout otherwise?

(edit) I also remember that a few other companies had issues with Moneybookers stealing their money or otherwise not distributing it to their bank accounts. I think maybe @Francisco had that issue with Buyvm?

• @Damian Oh yeah I can pay with my Visa card but it's more of a matter of convenience. I'll be talking to PayPal later to try and get this properly resolved (4th time lucky?)

• @jkr1711 said: I see there's a monthly fee for merchants

They do? I never have seen a monthly fee. The most annoying thing is they never allow you to take all your money, right now they have around 500gbp of my money locked.

• We are using Moneybookers for all hosting services and domain name registration. Lately there is fraud even there. Unbelievable.

• ErnieErnie Patron Provider, Veteran

If you Google moneybookers you'll find a lot of horror stories.

• @qhoster said: We are using Moneybookers for all hosting services and domain name registration. Lately there is fraud even there. Unbelievable.

Do you get charged for it?

• We work with Moneybookers antifraud department and catch most of the "suspicious" payments. They also report sometimes ones from automatic filters.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited April 2013

@Ernie said: If you Google moneybookers you'll find a lot of horror stories.

This is why we don't use moneybookers. Plus they said they don't allow business that sell vps servers when I was with y d g h.

• @Ernie said: If you Google moneybookers you'll find a lot of horror stories.

paypalsucks.com

• There are horror stories for every payment processor. Just google.

• Doesn't Moneybookers not accept hosting businesses?

• IntcsIntcs Member
    edited April 2013

I've used them for a payment and had a trouble with that payment, then I've found my account suspended later on and that's when "The End" occurred, but it's not bad otherwise..

• CoreyCorey Member

@superpilesos said: Doesn't Moneybookers not accept hosting businesses?

That's what I was told by moneybookers.

• @Corey Hmm I see MiniVPS take Moneybookers if I'm not mistaken @MartinD Have you ran into problems?

• MartinDMartinD Member
    edited April 2013

Nope and I've recently been through the mill with them. We take Moneybookers for various services including the hosting side of things. I know that they do accept hosting companies because I've spent the last month sorting out merchant status with them. They wanted to impose all kinds of restrictions and reserves that I wasn't prepares to agree to. Eventually we came to a mutually acceptable agreement. This involved them scrutinizing every part of our businesses so believe me, they know we offer hosting services. I would hedge my bets that those who have been refused weren't complying with one or more of their very strict policies and guidelines. Edit: not that its a bad thing btw - they are pretty anal with a lot of things and I can understand why people would think bollocks to that!

• CoreyCorey Member

@MartinD said: Nope and I've recently been through the mill with them. We take Moneybookers for various services including the hosting side of things. I know that they do accept hosting companies because I've spent the last month sorting out merchant status with them. They wanted to impose all kinds of restrictions and reserves that I wasn't prepares to agree to. Eventually we came to a mutually acceptable agreement. This involved them scrutinizing every part of our businesses so believe me, they know we offer hosting services. I would hedge my bets that those who have been refused weren't complying with one or more of their very strict policies and guidelines. Edit: not that its a bad thing btw - they are pretty anal with a lot of things and I can understand why people would think bollocks to that!

Well they didn't say that. They just said they don't accept VPS Hosts or something like that. I got a thread here about it called moneybookers doesn't want our business.

• 'or something like that' - you need to be more precise.

• CoreyCorey Member

@MartinD said: 'or something like that' - you need to be more precise.

Found this in two seconds searching 'moneybooker' on my discussions...

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/4634/skrillmoneybookers-doesn039t-want-our-business#Item_36

• Yeah, that's what I mean - they haven't said anything about not providing services to hosting/vps providers :)

• @Damian Amazon Simple Pay many users?

• @24khost said: Amazon Simple Pay many users?

Surprisingly, yes.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited April 2013

@MartinD said: Yeah, that's what I mean - they haven't said anything about not providing services to hosting/vps providers :)
    We regret to inform you that we will not be able to provide you with our services as your business model has not been approved by our Compliance department.

Our business model then was selling openvz virtual private servers, cpanel reseller accounts, and dedicated servers on the cheap. Well.. that's all they could have known about our business model from our website.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I use Moneybookers and don't have to any issues, 1 fraudulent order that I was made aware of by them within an hour in 2 years.

The only thing I don't like is that they keep your money for about 60 days but that's not such a big problem and the fee's are lower than paypal.

• @AnthonySmith So do you pay a monthly fee or have I misinterpreted that?

• @Corey it will be your ToS or AuP then.

@AnthonySmith are you a merchant with them? If so you can renegotiate the reserve period and amount without too much hassle.

• I hate the idea of having to fund payments at some ridiculous exchange rate

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@jkr1711 I don't pay any monthly fee

@MartinD yep it is a merchant account, the reserve is not a big problem, I hardly ever touch the funds in Moenybookers to begin with it just builds up in there.

I am planing on adding google/amazon/bitpay in the next week or so though.