Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how to know if my web service being shutdown by server provider because of overcrowded VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

how to know if my web service being shutdown by server provider because of overcrowded VPS?

Hi Everyone. This is only my doubt so please advise if I'm wrong. I bought a cheap promo OpenvZ VPS plan from cablechief (advertised on LEB) half year ago. It was ok from the beginning, but recently it becomes much more slower. What makes me confused is that some tasks on my server failed to complete, not always but very often. For example the cron job in my Magento website when running well may suddently doesn't create any entry in cron table. It is supposed to create entry per 5 minutes. Now it may hang there until i reset server. I checked server log and there is nothing noticeably there. My question is could it be the server company who kill them behind the scene when their server reach limit?

Comments

• Can you further explain what does that cron job actually do?

• Do you see any oom messages in you system log?

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Backup crons and similar can hammer CPU & I/O, and from what I've heard Magento is pretty heavy as-is. You could ask the provider if they're stepping in (or if their automated systems are) and they should be able to let you know.

• @bugrakoc said:
    Can you further explain what does that cron job actually do?

CRON is used to do many different tasks. But when it is dead, it doesn't even create heartbeat task in cron table . It doesn't do anything even if I use command in console /bin/bash path/to/cron.sh

In server log I see a lot of entries for

mod_fcgid: ap_pass_brigade failed in handle_request_ipc function

• @magentoadmin said:
    CRON is used to do many different tasks.

Yes, I know cron can be used for many different tasks. What I'm asking is, what are you making it do? Take backups?

• @bugrakoc said:

@magentoadmin said:
    CRON is used to do many different tasks.

Yes, I know cron can be used for many different tasks. What I'm asking is, what are you making it do? Take backups?

Backup is one of those tasks. But at the time when it stopped working it was not running backup task. If I view syslog, I can see cron is still running, but it does nothing to website anymore. Not even with command in ssh console. So it is not really dead, it just don't do anything. If you hit /bin/bash path/to/cron.sh when this happens, pointer is returned to new line immediately and it does nothing. Nothing until restart services. Sometimes, i get mysql server gone away error from CRON email too.