Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low Cost Dedicated Server (Atom) ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low Cost Dedicated Server (Atom) ?

I previously purchased one of the Kimsufi servers at £2.99 GBP per month and it is working great.

I'm looking to purchase something similar, but I know OVH don't do these anymore.

What are the cheapest priced dedicated servers currently available - Would it be Kimsufi's at £4.20 GBP when they are in stock ? Are there any other providers offer a cheaper or similar price ?

Thanks in advance,

Happyman

Comments

• wait blackfriday :)

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • You can watch or bookmark this discussion.

• Thank you - I'll monitor that thread.

• VortexMagnusVortexMagnus Member
    edited October 2016

Our UK Atom's are $10 / £8 per month :)

• Kimsufi is the way to go. Others you could check out: digicube.fr, euserv.com, offer.fusa.be (not in stock atm).

• @VortexMagnus said:

Weren't they £10 last time? Prices dropping again?

• @Nekki said:

@VortexMagnus said:

Nope, they've been $10 on LET for a while now :)

• @VortexMagnus said:

@Nekki said:

@VortexMagnus said:

Just a shame they're Atoms really :-p

• @Nekki said:

@VortexMagnus said:

@Nekki said:

@VortexMagnus said:

Just a shame they're Atoms really :-p

I know. They have a purpose, we've sold nearly 100 of them so far and have about 40 left in stock.

We just acquired a bunch of new hardware (well, new to us, it's still older stuff). Expect to see Dual Quad Xeons with 8GB RAM + 128GB SSD for about $15-20/month soon :)

Thanked by 1imok
  • @VortexMagnus said:

We just acquired a bunch of new hardware (well, new to us, it's still older stuff). Expect to see Dual Quad Xeons with 8GB RAM + 128GB SSD for about $15-20/month soon :)

Interesting.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

VortexMagnus said: Expect to see Dual Quad Xeons with 8GB RAM + 128GB SSD for about $15-20/month soon :)

How do you cover the cost of electricity at that price?

Average electricity prices are around 0.20 EUR /kwh in the EU. Low power, high efficiency (but olderish) servers still use around around 50watts, which means the server power alone needs about EUR7.2 => $8. But that's for like an i3 or newish i5/i7/e3. An older Dual Xeon will use at least twice as much, if not 4 times more. A Dual Xeon L5520 for example (which is supposed to be low power) uses around 200 watts (idle), so electricity cost would be $32 /month!

And that assume you are not powering other equipment like air-conditioning, or a UPS (which still has some overhead!).

We will be launching a bunch of lowend, cheapo servers soon, but a price of $15 - $20 would barely cover the electricity cost... Our target is $30 - $50 depending on exact hardware used.

• VortexMagnusVortexMagnus Member
    edited October 2016

@randvegeta said:

VortexMagnus said: Expect to see Dual Quad Xeons with 8GB RAM + 128GB SSD for about $15-20/month soon :)

How do you cover the cost of electricity at that price?

Average electricity prices are around 0.20 EUR /kwh in the EU. Low power, high efficiency (but olderish) servers still use around around 50watts, which means the server power alone needs about EUR7.2 => $8. But that's for like an i3 or newish i5/i7/e3. An older Dual Xeon will use at least twice as much, if not 4 times more. A Dual Xeon L5520 for example (which is supposed to be low power) uses around 200 watts (idle), so electricity cost would be $32 /month!

And that assume you are not powering other equipment like air-conditioning, or a UPS (which still has some overhead!).

We will be launching a bunch of lowend, cheapo servers soon, but a price of $15 - $20 would barely cover the electricity cost... Our target is $30 - $50 depending on exact hardware used.

You're going in to the wrong DC then. If a DC has space they want to fill and you're shopping, you'll be amazed at what you can get. Same goes for the states, we have colo in Atlanta and currently shopping for other locations too. It's a buyers market right now.

We've already done power tests, we know what we are doing and we are here to make money at the end of the day. But thanks for your concerns :)

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

VortexMagnus said: You're going in to the wrong DC then.

I'm talking about just the cost of electricty. If a DC sells power below cost then they are the ones losing money.

In any case, if you are operating in the US, then average power costs is less than 50% of Europe at around US$0.10 /kwh. So an L5520 would cost around $13 /month. But again that doesnt include the air-conditioning or other overhead costs...depending on DC, it could be cheap or expensive, so I'll ignore that for now.

Power costs in Europe would make such pricing practically impossible unless you have subsidised power of some sort.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Currently OVH is your only option, maybe you can drop Fusa a email and they still have a 5EUR Atom in stock, however Ikoula dosent do that cheap price anymore.

The next best thing you can get is WorldStream but thats 8-10EUR + TAX.

• VortexMagnus said: You're going in to the wrong DC then. If a DC has space they want to fill and you're shopping, you'll be amazed at what you can get

You will not get less than 0.15EUR/kWh anywhere in the EU unless you consume insane amounts of power (FR, Eastern EU) or get state subventioned. Iceland still has very attractive pricing and free import but the BW... yea

Best offer i had for now with reasonable rack cost (200$ per rack) and power (17c/kwh non UPS/gen protected) was in Budapest.

• @Neoon said:
    Currently OVH is your only option, maybe you can drop Fusa a email and they still have a 5EUR Atom in stock, however Ikoula dosent do that cheap price anymore.

That 5EUR offer will never come back. That's what their sales team said the last time I checked.

Having said that, let me know if anyone comes across a non Kimsufi, non ARM based dedicated server costing under 7EUR/Mo :P

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@K4Y5 said:

@Neoon said:

That 5EUR offer will never come back. That's what their sales team said the last time I checked.

Having said that, let me know if anyone comes across a non Kimsufi, non ARM based dedicated server costing under 7EUR/Mo :P

Fusa? Sadly, however mine came with 2 Drives and one Drive was connected to a Raid Card. More Storage as Bandwidth that hurts a bit.

• @Neoon said:

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

Out of interest who/what is 'Fusa' who still have them at 5EUR ?

• happyman said: Out of interest who/what is 'Fusa' who still have them at 5EUR ?

They're talking about Fusa [dot] is or Fusa [dot] be, a Belgian provider who had at one point 5EUR/month Atom dedicated servers