Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best option for streaming events 1x per week ~8 hours?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best option for streaming events 1x per week ~8 hours?

During the American football season I have someone who does webcasts to discuss games. Sort of like live commentary.

We have been using Vultr hourly servers since this just takes place on Sundays. We have been using the Windows VMs priced at $0.083/hr. We spin up VMs in LA, Chicago, Dallas, NJ, and Miami.

We are finding that the Dallas, NJ, and Chicago locations do ~500mbit/s pretty consistently. Its a 4mbit stream. The other locations maybe 150-200mbit/s. We use Acestream so viewers also help out with the traffic. But we are finding a lot of users are unable to stream to mobile connections or tablets over wifi, which are frequently used for tracking fantasy stats, so we have to do a lot of the heavy lifting for them.

So we would be looking at gigabit connections for ~8 hours one day a week in multiple locations or at least a decent enough connection to service all of the US.

Once we are done with the event we destroy the services. Its pretty cheap even with their 2 cents per GB charge.

Downsides are the time it takes to spin up the VMs and configure the software and the fact that this last weekend we had even more users and we had to spin up a second NJ location.

Just wondering if people have other suggestions or cheaper suggestions.

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Well, our slices are going to be unmetered soon if that perks your interest :) Probably in a couple weeks.

https://buyvm.net/kvm-dedicated-server-slices

You could pick up a couple boxes on each coast and be good to go.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:
    Well, our slices are going to be unmetered soon if that perks your interest :) Probably in a couple weeks.

@Francisco
    Slight thread hijack. Noticed that slices are out of stock. Any time frame for new? Also are custom slices available?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

PM me about what you want custom.

I hope to have more Hy mid November with the east coast roll out with LU close after.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

Francisco

Only reason we didn't pick one up to try was stock :) I have you on our radar.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • Hi,
    you could use docker and a start up scirpt to speed up configuration time and add nodes by demand.

• Is it possible to have just one vps spin up and then use a CDN to stream the content so it's extremely fast to all locations?

BunnyCDN has some great and cheap prices.

• @doughnet said:
    Is it possible to have just one vps spin up and then use a CDN to stream the content so it's extremely fast to all locations?

BunnyCDN has some great and cheap prices.

We did look into this option however, most of the watchers didn't mind using the P2P aspect which saves us quite a bit in bandwidth. This past event had ~4000 watchers at 4.5mbit and we only had to shoulder ~2gpbs of that.

We used to do this over Twitch and Youtube but because of the games playing in the background they were taken down for potential copyright infringement of the NFL. So we wanted this to be a little more private, something that is shared among some daily fantasy players. Thanks for the suggestion however.

• I've done Nginx HLS module + Cloudflare. Better than expected, and with hls.js you can provide native support on Android and Chrome, while Safari can handle HLS natively.

For P2P part you can look into Peer5 or some similar technologies. Haven't tried that part, but seems decent.

• joerijoeri Member, Host Rep, LIR

I can offer you unmetered dedicated server or VPS for a good price only we have as location NL if that ok for you.