Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[OPINION] Mini Projectors | what to look for
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[OPINION] Mini Projectors | what to look for

Hi

I was looking to buy a mini Projector and connect it with orange pi and use vga port for my pc...

They are easily available on AliExpress

Staring from 65 to 150

If somebody has used them please post your opinions and what to look for..

Comments

• Oops

@ishaq duplicate please remove one

• noaman said: Staring from 65 to 150

Rubles?

• oops ........ thats USD

• They are all pretty crap, we have an expensive one (like 100EUR) and it does not work at day + not well at night. Resolution is usually crap (they say HD, yes, but real resolution of the optic is around 600x400 for most)

Thanked by 1GCat
  • @William said:
    They are all pretty crap, we have an expensive one (like 100EUR) and it does not work at day + not well at night. Resolution is usually crap (they say HD, yes, but real resolution of the optic is around 600x400 for most)

Speaking to some chinese guys regarding it. The HD comes from the downscaled HDMI port they have on it xD

• OpticalSwoosh said: The HD comes from the downscaled HDMI port they have on it xD

Well, yes, they accept FHD material at even 60 fps --- it is just misleading advertised, intentionally.

• http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-pico-projector/

I bought a LG PH300 from an Amazon Warehouse deal, and though the video quality was fine for what I wanted, the fan on it seemed unusually loud (might have been why the previous person returned it). I ended up returning it, it was just extremely loud. The speakers on the device could hardly beat the fan noise. The audio quality on them is pretty low, so I had external speakers hooked up to it.

All that said, it was a pretty awesome little device to have. I could plug a chromecast into it and watch stuff on the ceiling in bed or on the wall out on the porch (at night).

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @HackedServer
    Yea I bought a small micro projector for about $30, the fan noise is loud and the speaker is weak.

while it was only $30 not a bad loss, how many feet do you place your projector from the wall? I had mine just a few feet and the image was very pixelated - I wonder if that is due to being close (I don't feel like taking it out the box to try longer distance lol)

Overall one day I will have a use for the projector :-P

• Don't bother, they're still no where near enough output to give an image in all but the darkest rooms.

I had a proper projector (I.e £200+ DLP one with a proper projector lamp) and even that was low resolution, and needed it to be fairly dark to really work well.

A decent HD one is even more.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited October 2016

dragon2611 said: A decent HD one is even more.

We have a BenQ which is actually an office beamer but does movies (even 3D @ 144Hz) - outside of the awkward positioning that comes with an office beamer (we'll put it on a ceiling ultimately) it now has ~4600 hrs down and works fine. Full HD/1080p via HDMI, fan is ok, lamp uses around 300W only.

Around 800EUR.

Next time we get a cinema one though with lens shift, way easier to install (eg corners or very far down) - around 1kEUR.

Lamps got cheaper, replacement is like 120EUR for this one.

LED is just not bright enough (though technically there are 100W LEDs out of many modules)Laser has the advantage in nearly anything outside of blue color brightness and price... in theory, we'll see - they should last 50k+ hours easily, a dream for ambient usage like we have (mostly 24/7 on).

• Thanx everybody

One common question if its that bad ....how do these ali express people get these.many five-four star feedbacks

@william 800 euro

Yes thats the average price of a decent projector in my country

It's not a need to buy a cheap projector but i wanted to make it work with SMBs(orange pi) and make it a little portable .....something to carry around with not much weight :-)

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

LG PH450UG Ultra Short Throw LED Projector with Embedded Battery: recommended by Linus here.

• @mailcheap said:
    LG PH450UG Ultra Short Throw LED Projector with Embedded Battery: recommended by Linus here.

Lolx money factor is very important :-)