Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dirty COW Vulnerability - Kernel Update Oct 21st - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dirty COW Vulnerability - Kernel Update Oct 21st

Comments

• ricardo said: it's going to require a lapse in security like that

True. It is a local privilege escalation bug. But if you look at the vDSO exploit, it didn't need anything beyond PTRACE_POKEDATA. vDSO is in the address space of nearly every binary.

Thanked by 2ricardo deadbeef
  • Does anyone know if this affects CentOS v6 ?

• zafouhar said: Does anyone know if this affects CentOS v6 ?

It does - https://access.redhat.com/security/vulnerabilities/2706661

No fix for RHEL6 yet.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@zafouhar said:
    Does anyone know if this affects CentOS v6 ?

Yes it is. I can't find if there's a patch for it yet though. This is why I love KernelCare because it patches kernels before the distros do. :D

• @eLohkCalb said:

zafouhar said: Does anyone know if this affects CentOS v6 ?

It does - https://access.redhat.com/security/vulnerabilities/2706661

No fix for RHEL6 yet.

Reason I asked was because they said it doesn't affect RHEL5 and RHEL 6 at https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1384344

The in the wild exploit we are aware of doesn't work on Red Hat Enterprise
    Linux 5 and 6 out of the box because on one side of the race it writes to
    /proc/self/mem, but /proc/self/mem is not writable on Red Hat Enterprise
    Linux 5 and 6.

• zafouhar said: Reason I asked

There's another variant that uses POKEmonTEXT instead of writing to /proc/self/mem, I tested the PoC (https://github.com/dirtycow/dirtycow.github.io/blob/master/pokemon.c) and it worked on CentOS 6 default install.

That systemtap thingy seems to mitigate the issue but it's very cumbersome and obviously I did not test all possible cases.

• @eLohkCalb said:

zafouhar said: Reason I asked

There's another variant that uses POKEmonTEXT instead of writing to /proc/self/mem, I tested the PoC (https://github.com/dirtycow/dirtycow.github.io/blob/master/pokemon.c) and it worked on CentOS 6 default install.

That systemtap thingy seems to mitigate the issue but it's very cumbersome and obviously I did not test all possible cases.

I see, thanks for the confirmation :)

hopefully there is patch soon then!

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited October 2016

Maybe a silly question, but is this exploitable on shared servers running CloudLinux? As in users with jailed (ssh) access can escalated themselves to root?

Cheers!

• There are two known classes of exploits: /proc/self/mem(mem_write) and ptrace(PTRACE_POKEDATA).

From what I gather:

CentOS 5/6 have mem_write disabled by default, but not so in CentOS7.

The OCI standard blocks ptrace for containers/jails by default. I am guessing here but newer-style docker/lxd may disallow ptrace by default, but not the older OpenVZ.

If you cant use a patched kernel, then the systemtap mitigation blocks known exploits (both mem_write and ptrace are disabled).

Caveats: Blocking ptrace will mess with debuggers, virus scanners. It may also impact self-protection/obfuscation code present in commercial software like games.

List of published exploits here. Some of them will crash the kernel, so don't try on a production system.

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • @TheLinuxBug said:
    Maybe a silly question, but is this exploitable on shared servers running CloudLinux? As in users with jailed (ssh) access can escalated themselves to root?

Indeed that was the point of this thread...
    ... It'll be a havoc otherwise!

Want to know the possibility of this too

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

TheLinuxBug said: Maybe a silly question, but is this exploitable on shared servers running CloudLinux? As in users with jailed (ssh) access can escalated themselves to root?

mehargags said: Indeed that was the point of this thread... ... It'll be a havoc otherwise!

Want to know the possibility of this too

Well cloudlinux provided a patched kernel so you can be pretty certain it does yes.

• >

Well cloudlinux provided a patched kernel so you can be pretty certain it does yes.

I suppose the non-patched exploit implementations have not been magically resolved though ;)

deadbeef said: I suppose the non-patched exploit implementations have not been magically resolved though ;)

maybe I am wrong but my understanding was the the CL kernels and kernels with Kcare patches are not vulnerable, if I am wrong this is the very least anyone should have done by now as it is as protected as you can be.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • kaflokaflo Member
    edited October 2016

Official updates for CentOS 6 and 7

Resolve tab

Thanked by 2deadbeef eLohkCalb
  • AisheeAishee Member
    edited October 2016

Kernel scanner for Dirty Cow: https://github.com/aishee/scan-dirtycow.
    Kernel patch fix Dirty Cow: https://github.com/aishee/fix-dirtycow.

Thanked by 2mik997 AnthonySmith

@Aishee the scanner will mark kernels updated by kcare as vulnerable will it not? (did a 10 second code scan) ?

• @Aishee said:
    Kernel scanner for Dirty Cow: https://github.com/aishee/scan-dirtycow.
    Kernel patch fix Dirty Cow: https://github.com/aishee/fix-dirtycow.

bookmarked .. ;)

• sinsin Member

For people running Ubuntu LTS, Dirty Cow was livepatched within only a few hours of it's publication so if you have any servers running Ubuntu LTS you should try out their new kernel livepatching that is free for up to 3 desktops/servers.
    http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2016/10/dirty-cow-livepatched-in-ubuntu.html

Thanked by 2Lunar tmwc
  • @sin said:
    For people running Ubuntu LTS, Dirty Cow was livepatched within only a few hours of it's publication so if you have any servers running Ubuntu LTS you should try out their new kernel livepatching that is free for up to 3 desktops/servers.
    http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2016/10/dirty-cow-livepatched-in-ubuntu.html

What I appreciated about Ubuntu was the fact they even patched the EOL LTS versions within hours along with non-EOL LTS versions.

Thanked by 1sin
  • sinsin Member

zafouhar said: What I appreciated about Ubuntu was the fact they even patched the EOL LTS versions within hours along with non-EOL LTS versions.

Yup! I remember receiving a kernel update extremely fast.

• So is OpenVZ vulnerable via container or not? I read this whole thread and it's still not clear to me.

Nobody has console access to the node. They do have console access to the container (SolusVM).

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@moonmartin said:
    So is OpenVZ vulnerable via container or not? I read this whole thread and it's still not clear to me.

Nobody has console access to the node. They do have console access to the container (SolusVM).

No, it requires a local account on the node. A VPS will not work unless they "break out" of the VPS through another exploit.

• @moonmartin said:
    So is OpenVZ vulnerable via container or not? I read this whole thread and it's still not clear to me.

If someone has a local account on a container then only the container is vulnerable since it shares the node's kernel.

• moonmartinmoonmartin Member
    edited October 2016

@Ishaq said:

@moonmartin said:

If someone has a local account on a container then only the container is vulnerable since it shares the node's kernel.

Ok thanks, as long as they cannot break out of the container or crash the node that is all I care about.

• @moonmartin said: Ok thanks, as long as they cannot break out of the container that is all I care about.

You're still leaving your client(s) vulnerable because they can't upgrade the kernel or apply a patch. Only you can.

Thanked by 2AnthonySmith sin
    edited October 2016

@Ishaq said:

@moonmartin said: Ok thanks, as long as they cannot break out of the container that is all I care about.

You're still leaving your client(s) vulnerable because they can't upgrade the kernel or apply a patch. Only you can.
    @Ishaq said:

@moonmartin said: Ok thanks, as long as they cannot break out of the container that is all I care about.

How are they vulnerable? If an unauthorized person gains console access to their servers somehow then that person already has root access (the only console access they get with SolusVM). So unless I am missing something, that would be a bigger problem and it wouldn't matter if this vulnerability existed or not at that point.

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited October 2016

@moonmartin said: How are they vulnerable?

They are as vulnerable as you are if you have a local account on your node since they share the same kernel.

If they have a local user account on their container, that user can escalate their privileges.

edited October 2016

@Ishaq said:

@moonmartin said: How are they vulnerable?

They are as vulnerable as you are if you have a local account on your node since they share the same kernel.

If they have a local user account on their container, that user can escalate their privileges.

I don't see that as a problem the way we do things because only authorized root users have access to the console before they ever get to it regardless of who they try log in as. We disable public access to SolusVM.

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited October 2016

@moonmartin said: I don't see that as a problem the way we do things because only authorized root users have access to the console before they ever get to it regardless of who they try log in as. We disable public access to SolusVM.

I don't think you understand then. Let me create a scenario for you:

• Customer orders container.

• Gives user accounts (adduser/useradd) to someone.

• That someone uses the exploit to escalate their privilege (SU/root).

• Damage can be done to the container.

• I've already tested it; hence I updated my OpenVZ kernel to 042stab120.6