Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What uptime service do you use and why?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What uptime service do you use and why?

risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Hi everyone, I am curious to know what external (websites) uptime services you use and why (eg. Price, Interval, Types of Monitoring etc). Do you think paying for uptime monitoring is ridiculous? This is after all LET where we want the best prices possible or free stuff. Please let me know.

Thanks

Comments

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

UptimeRobot because price (free) and decent API - waiting to see if they do a Black Friday promo or something though because I wouldn't mind 1 min intervals and I want to support them somehow.

NewRelic because quality, also price (free for the server monitoring stuff).

Thanked by 1risharde
  • It depends what you're doing as to whether or not it is ridiculous.

Paying to monitor your idle CloudatCost VM? Probably ridiculous.
    Paying to monitor your WHCMS panel for your company? Probably a good idea.

I use NodePing with just a few basic monitors for a truly external monitor. I have Sensu running on AWS for an owned-by-me-but-still-external monitor that does a lot more than NodePing.

You could always go free too, like with LunaNode's monitoring or NixStats.

I want to try this one too, https://www.globespotter.co/servers/signup/, but I don't have any server important enough to justify $12/yr monitoring just for it.

Thanked by 2NodePing risharde
  • sinsin Member

Uptime Doctor and NewRelic Synthetics

Thanked by 1risharde
  • +1 uptimerobot, rarely get false alarm.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • UptimeRobot is nice. But their emails are marked as spam with Outlook/Hotmail.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • I use datadoghq personally.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • uptimerobot, nodequery ( discontinued) and

Thanked by 1risharde
  • leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

Self hosted Zabbix. Extendable, detailed, self hosted and free.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

UptimeRobot; its free and the stats page is great!

Thanked by 1risharde
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Selfmade, 10s, PHP(Async) + MariaDB

All other Free Providers eg: UptimeRobot or Statuscake only offer 300s intervals, often it takes even longer, kinda sucks.

No ETA yet, but want to launch a Free 10s Interval Monitoring service, based on that system.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • Neoon, can you share link to yours? i think is on github isnt? but i don't remember link,

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@dedicados said:
    Neoon, can you share link to yours? i think is on github isnt? but i don't remember link,

It isn't and will be closed source.

• @Foul said:
    I use datadoghq personally.

How are you finding it? I was thinking to set this up to monitor system resource usage.

• updown.io is awesome!

Thanked by 1risharde
  • Neoon said: It isn't and will be closed source.

sorry, i think you where

https://github.com/Ne00n/Ariane-Monitoring

• Neoon said: All other Free Providers eg: UptimeRobot or Statuscake only offer 300s intervals, often it takes even longer, kinda sucks.

Statuscake (free plan) had a lot of false positives and would report extended downtimes even when the site came back up. Seemed shady to force users to upgrade to their paid plans.

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

HetrixTools (free)

Thanked by 1risharde
  • statuscake, because I worked with the co-owner briefly in the past and he's a friend of my colleague (alongside decent reviews). Early days so no solid opinion, still gathering data.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • andreipoe said: How are you finding it? I was thinking to set this up to monitor system resource usage.

It's really great, you could get 5 hosts free if you're apart of the github student pack.

• ktkt Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2016

@Shigawire said:
    updown.io is awesome!

+1 for updown.io, uptimerobot is a good free "backup" monitor too, has been very reliable.

Thanked by 1risharde