Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best commercial monitoring system
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best commercial monitoring system

AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Hi Folks,

Just gathering opinions and ideas.

What is the best commercial/enterprise grade monitoring system?

In terms of monitoring I really mean uptime/alerting, I have tried statuscake, pingdom and uptimerobot but they are all pretty flaky and inaccurate or lacking information, pingdom being the better one out of the 3 by a million miles.

Money being no object what would you suggest (excluding build your own) ?

I am looking for something that has multiple levels of validation, not just a few pings were dropped, has better options in terms of monitoring specific services and actually gives some log info, and most importantly can be relied on to accurate 999 times out of 1000.

I am sure there must be something out there?

Comments

• WHTWHT Member

Virtualizor lounched a monitoring website take a look.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@WHT said:

http://pinguzo.com/ < This?

• WHTWHT Member

@pbgben said:

@WHT said:

http://pinguzo.com/ < This?

Yeah

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

NodePing has been great for us and matches up with our in-house monitoring solutions nearly 100%. The ping tests are not as accurate as the port tests, but our data centers claim this is due to "ICMP de-prioritization". The number of false alerts for ping tests are much fewer than other services (they are rare, but do happen) but more importantly they actually alert us for actual downtime unlike every other paid service I tried before them.

Thanked by 2NodePing Infinity
  • Been using Hyperspin for my servers, and it's been very accurate, but I haven't tried much else...

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

WHT said: Virtualizor lounched a monitoring website take a look.

I have seen virtualizors logging first hand, no chance I would trust them to provide anything reliable or useful for monitoring, appreciate the suggestion though.

@KuJoe Sorry I forgot to add nodeping to the list, I have tested that as well, to many false positives when I used them.

• nixstats ? srvtrack ?

had a look at hyperspin just now thanks, looks interesting, cant see any mention of analysis logs or anything similar, do they provide the information they used to determine your XYZ was down?

Also $840p/month for 100 monitors is a bit high ... i know I said if money was no object, but at that price I would build my own in SL DC's

@AnthonySmith said:

I have seen virtualizors logging first hand, no chance I would trust them to provide anything reliable or useful for monitoring, appreciate the suggestion though.

@KuJoe Sorry I forgot to add nodeping to the list, I have tested that as well, to many false positives when I used them.

Even when you don't use the ping tests? That's pretty strange. Maybe @NodePing can help you out?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2016

@AnthonySmith said:

I have used StatusCake for a public monitoring page, I've never had any false positives with them. Only downside is that it might be more expensive than needed for some people if they require 1 minute intervals instead of the 5 minute interval that's the default on free accounts. I use a few self hosted scripts for my backend monitoring and alerts though.

Edit: Link to my public page is in my signature if you want to see what it looks like.

Junkless said: nixstats ? srvtrack ?

both sites only have a login page I cant seem to get any info/pricing.

KuJoe said: Even when you don't use the ping tests? That's pretty strange. Maybe @NodePing can help you out?

Well to be fair it was a while ago, what is the reporting like in the event they do report something down, mtr reports, raw outputs from the checks with source locations?

MikeA said: I have used StatusCake for a public monitoring page, I've never had any false positives with them.

Actually they seem to have seriously upped their game since I last used them, like the 30 second monitor and some of the features, might give the business plan a whirl!

@AnthonySmith said:

KuJoe said: Even when you don't use the ping tests? That's pretty strange. Maybe @NodePing can help you out?

Well to be fair it was a while ago, what is the reporting like in the event they do report something down, mtr reports, raw outputs from the checks with source locations?

No MTR reports but it tells you which locations were used to check before marking it as down along with the response (different depending on the test) and how long the check ran.

You can see an example of their public status pages here: http://status.securedragon.net and clicking on the name on the left will show you the public reporting for that specific "check".

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Monitive.com is quite good IMO.

• +1 for @NodePing. Shawn created an incredible product and very fairly priced. 10/10 would recommend.

Thanked by 1NodePing
  • I use Monitis at work. I tested a lot of allocations and that was the best of the bunch (for my use case, obviously). With a properly configured monitor I have (to date) never had a false positive. Not sure about pricing, but uptime monitors are reasonably cheap from memory, it's the others that cost the big bucks.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • https://www.datadoghq.com/ have a trial. I tested lightly so cannot tell but worth trying.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Solarwinds N-able

• Uptimerobot if you do not need all the nodeping features. Reliability is pretty much the same on the pro plan.

Monitive looks to be the winner, thanks!

• Well just throwing ideas here, we use zabbix on our environment with different proxies that check our servers for uptime, packet loss and other server components such as raid issues, etc. Pretty good and it is free

• @AnthonySmith said:

Junkless said: nixstats ? srvtrack ?

both sites only have a login page I cant seem to get any info/pricing.

Probably because both are in beta.

• RadWebHostingRadWebHosting Member, Host Rep

Hyperspin or HetrixByte are solid choices for Commercial Monitoring, although the paid UptimeRobot is also solid.

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

I have good experience with Nodeping - it has been solid so far.

Thanked by 1NodePing
  • +1 For Datadoghq.com

I use it for 150 servers.

Junkless said: Probably because both are in beta.

Not too interested in something I cant get any info on or that is unproven, thanks though, ones to keep an eye o for the future.

Foul said: +1 For Datadoghq.com

I use it for 150 servers.

Looks interesting, I will contact them for Enterprise pricing as I need 18 months worth of data retention minimum.

LiteServer said: I have good experience with Nodeping - it has been solid so far.

I guess they have got better then, I don't consider it Enterprise though as they generally use LES hosts for nodes iirc and don't provide any logging data per event worth having.

• FoulFoul Member
    edited October 2016

AnthonySmith said: Looks interesting,

It's quite nice, you can lay out your whole infrastructure in it; automated tasks and etc. It's very commercialized for a-lot of enterprise companies that use them.

I paid them 2,000 annually a few months ago for 200 hosts. So far they're working great for us.

Here's a screenshot of a "metric" you can customize to add to your dashboard

Really simple to add your own network endpoint checks

• @AnthonySmith

Not to mention, their API is really easy. I whipped up something to monitor solusvm nodes just from the solusvm master in like a hour to monitor everything(network,i/o,high cpu, etc) in 10secs intervals

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • We use Uptime Robot at our bankrupt company since it was the only one to fit the budget.