Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cpanel backup question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cpanel backup question

I have ~250gb of data and want to backup it weekly one. How much backup space will I need for it? 1TB?

What happends when 4 backups are already there and it starts to backup the other month? Will the backups gets removed/overwritten/removed or will stay there?

Comments

• Why not using r1soft?

• @WHT said:
    I have ~250gb of data and want to backup it weekly one. How much backup space will I need for it? 1TB?

What happends when 4 backups are already there and it starts to backup the other month? Will the backups gets removed/overwritten/removed or will stay there?

Have a look at rnapshot, I believe someone even developed an online interface and best of all its free

• WHTWHT Member

Guys, please read the thread. Am asking how much backup space I need to backup 250gb of data once per week. 250gb or 1tb or more?

• You can choose compressed backup option. It will be less than 1 TB. Only latest 4 backups will be kept on the backup server.

Thanked by 1WHT
  • @WHT said:
    Guys, please read the thread. Am asking how much backup space I need to backup 250gb of data once per week. 250gb or 1tb or more?

Best to add a bit of overhead in case the size increases.

• LeeLee Veteran

racksx said: Why not using r1soft?

Jetbackup does it better.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • Hah... I've heard of JetBackup before but never tried it. @Lee -- did you try it before?

Thanked by 1Lee
  • WHTWHT Member

Looks good. And is there a cheaper offer as time4vps for the 2tb plan?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

WHT said: Guys, please read the thread. Am asking how much backup space I need to backup 250gb of data once per week. 250gb or 1tb or more?

Do you need help with the math? Four weekly backups of 250GB would be roughly 1TB.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • WHTWHT Member

@jarland said:

WHT said: Guys, please read the thread. Am asking how much backup space I need to backup 250gb of data once per week. 250gb or 1tb or more?

Do you need help with the math? Four weekly backups of 250GB would be roughly 1TB.

And after 3 months will be still 1tb or 3tb? This was the main question.

• LeeLee Veteran

DigitalFyre said: Hah... I've heard of JetBackup before but never tried it. @Lee -- did you try it before?

Yes, it's very good. You should have a look.

• LeeLee Veteran
    Thanked by 1WHT
  • Lee said: Yes, it's very good. You should have a look.

I actually will :-) Thanks, @Lee.

• Basically if you looking to take backup for 250 GB on weekly basis with R1soft backup then you won't required 1 TB disk space because R1Soft backups taken on incremental basis , therefore disk space depend on new data added on your server every week.

It means 250GB disk space initially + approx 4 weeks new data ( for example 10GB) = Total backup space required 260GB for one month

Safer side , its always recommend to purchase 15 to 25% extra backup space to avoid any problems in future, therefore you can purchase 300 GB disk space and upgrade it as per your requirement in future.

• You would probably need to set the system up to remove backups after a certain amount of time I think its possible with r1soft.