Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you use your server for? / What to do with with idling VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you use your server for? / What to do with with idling VPS?

Mostly use mine for websites but have a couple annual servers spare, what would be a good use for them?

Comments

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited October 2016

Ah, the old "I just joined" thread. I'm pretty sure most of us have one of these, it's probably best to search. I was going to link mine but it's pretty cringe worthy on my part...

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited October 2016

Oh man, this reminds me of the time when I was a newbie around these parts. I still have way too many cheap VPS from deals that were supposedly too good to pass, that just idle in all their glory, reminding me of their idling prowess and my tumultuous relationship with self control.

When I feel guilty about not using those VPS much, I simply add them to a DNS cluster, or install pi-hole or plain old OpenVPN to browse the net with relative safety.

Sadly, I have graduated from buying VPS that idle to dedis that idle harder. But, I guess that is how it goes for people who spend too much time around these parts :P

• rocket said: but have a couple annual servers spare, what would be a good use for them?

Maybe backups of your in use VPSs would be a good idea?

• What I do with an idling server? Interesting... Well, it just says that: idling!

• I am confused as to why the majority of people here buy VPS when they do not have a need for it.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited October 2016

@varwww said:
    I am confused as to why the majority of people here buy VPS when they do not have a need for it.

Why, you ask?

On a serious note, it is probably because the deal might be too good for an upcoming project and the cost of letting the server idle for a while is lower than missing out on the deal and potentially paying the full price at a later date.
    Then, at that later date, you suddenly realize that the specs don't match up, and you venture out find an even better deal instead.

If that's not enough, the reason could be just as simple and basic as the thrill of the chase (for lack of a better word).

At the end of the day, different people have different reasons for trying out cheap servers for some cheap thrills.

I, personally, am done buying cheap boxes that I won't use, and have just started cleaning house. I have cancelled most of them, and will be completely guilt free by March, next year.

\o/

Thanked by 2varwww ucxo
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Cancel it, money is better off in your pocket.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Cancel it, money is better off in your pocket.

Most of the time, cancel it won't get the money back but losing an idle box

• Install proxy script and release to the public. Then apply for adsense. Earn $_$

• You cancel it. If it's paid yearly and you're not using it ... You're a moron, stop wasting your money.

• @Vbro said:
    Install proxy script and release to the public. Then apply for adsense. Earn $_$

But most providers don't allow it and you might get in trouble with that. Also, most of your traffic will be from China, Iraq, Pakistan, etc ... Good luck with that $_$ and BW ...

• BeardyUnixGuy said: What do you do with a 32MB VPS?

Oh man! The real LEB days!

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • counting uptime

Thanked by 2K4Y5 Four20
  • @cassa said:
    counting uptime

Nailed it!

• dotted said: You cancel it. If it's paid yearly and you're not using it ... You're a moron, stop wasting your money.

Already used them for a project but it's finished, offer was annual only otherwise I would of gone monthly.

AnthonySmith said: Cancel it, money is better off in your pocket.

Already had them a couple months so I can't get a refund, thats why I'm looking to find a use for them :P

K4Y5 said: On a serious note, it is probably because the deal might be too good for an upcoming project and the cost of letting the server idle for a while is lower than missing out on the deal and potentially paying the full price at a later date. Then, at that later date, you suddenly realize that the specs don't match up, and you venture out find an even better deal instead.

^ This exactly

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • install boinc-client, contribute to worldcommunitygrid, see if your provider is worth the money. potentially get rid of idling servers...

• perryoo11perryoo11 Member
    edited October 2016

webserver/ftpserver/mailserver/vpn/backupserver/stream/gameserver/dnsserver/virtualization/