Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I hate to say this but.. - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I hate to say this but..

Comments

• jhjh Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: That really depends on the university and the major

He's not at university, but I can vouch for this statement. I've got enough time to do a little work.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: That really depends on the university and the major

College in England is a LOT different to college in the US.

• @Connorl said: College in England is a LOT different to college in the US.

I'm familar with neither, i go to university in Germany. However there are probably good and bad universities and easy and hard subjects everywhere.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@gsrdgrdghd said: and easy and hard subjects everywhere.

Certainly are. The one I am studying is not one of the hard ones. It involves what I'm typing this on :P

@craigb said: fwiw, get yourself a mentor - someone you feel you can trust and who has experience running a profitable vps company

I will be looking for somebody, and have had some offers already.

• ConnorlConnorl Member
    edited April 2013

@dominicl said: Certainly are. The one I am studying is not one of the hard ones. It involves what I'm typing this on :P

Typewriting?

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited April 2013

@Connorl said: It involves what I'm typing this on :P

fingers... dermatoglyphics...

@Connorl said: Typewriting?

-.- Of course :)

• ConnorlConnorl Member
    edited April 2013

@dominicl said: -.- Of course :)

The British don't use this new technology.

@Connorl said: The British don't use this new technology.

Nope :(

• ConnorlConnorl Member
    edited April 2013
    edited April 2013

I use one of these:

• @dominicl

You need to be careful. That new technology fails a lot.

• @Connorl said: That new technology fails a lot.

bites your finger if you hit them hard?

@Connorl said: You need to be careful. That new technology fails a lot.

Got 10KB RAM, 4x1MB HDD's in RAID, runs Flight Simulator quite well.

• Oh, Good. Remember to back up your data on floppy disks.

@Connorl said: Oh, Good. Remember to back up your data on floppy disks.

Yup will do ;D

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited April 2013

oh no.. u mean one of these

Picture of a 1MB HDD from 1961

• @dominicl Learn from @jhadley. He's been through a lot of things and he survived. It takes skills, experience, and wisdom to survive in this industry, in the mean time you reach out the most of your goals in your education.

@vRozenSch00n - I always listen to @jhadley ;-)

• Who is the reseller you are using? TurnkeyInternet? If you go with anyone cheap I can guarantee you their 24x7 support would be non-existent and by the time your clients start to scream at you and you can't even find your "support", it would be the time for you to shut down your business.

With VPS/dedi at least, as a provider can log into the server and troubleshoot yourself (if you have root access/dedicated IPMI), but you can't do that as a shared/reseller.

And if you think college is easier than high school because you don't have to attend class everyday...I wish you best of luck.

Seriously, there are a billion things you can do other than running a hosting business, and running a business is like a credit history here. If you have default 3 times in the past, you can walk into any bank in your country and I am sure no one will be willing to lend you their money.

• @W1V_Lee said: cba reading the comments but anyone who offered messages of support to him then you are just as bad as he is.

I actually agree with @W1V_Lee on this one, everyone here knows how his previous business venture goes, and everyone here knows this is going to be just like his previous business ventures. And whoever that is trying to message him is just looking to make a few quick bucks out of this poor not-yet-in-college-kid's pocket money by giving him some false hope that he will have more time to run the shop and he will be successful this time.

@zhuanyi said: With VPS/dedi at least, as a provider can log into the server and troubleshoot yourself (if you have root access/dedicated IPMI), but you can't do that as a shared/reseller.

I've taken yours and @jhadley's advice and gone for a VPS instead ;-)

@zhuanyi said: And if you think college is easier than high school because you don't have to attend class everyday...I wish you best of luck.

As has been said by @jhadley, UK college is what American's call high school.

• Wait is there a difference between college and university in the UK?

• jhjh Member

College -> high school
    University -> college

@Jack said: Due to the UK Law you have to be in some type of education until the age of 17 now so college is a must for dom I think?

Can leave @ 16 in Guernsey, but I'm going to college (UK :P) untl I'm 18.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@dominicl said: Can leave @ 16 in Guernsey, but I'm going to college (UK :P) untl I'm 18.

Sixth form or college? I'd highly reccomend sixth form if you want to head on to university.

@Infinity said: Sixth form or college? I'd highly reccomend sixth form if you want to head on to university.

I'm not staying at my current place and moving into sixth form. I'm going to the "College of FE" in Guernsey which will give me the equivalent of 3 a-levels in UCAS points.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@dominicl said: I'm not staying at my current place and moving into sixth form. I'm going to the "College of FE" in Guernsey which will give me the equivalent of 3 a-levels in UCAS points.

Please don't tell me you're doing BTEC's.

@Infinity said: Please don't tell me you're doing BTEC's.

I won't tell you personally, then.