Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I hate to say this but.. - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I hate to say this but..

Comments

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 said: So what exactly makes your VMs premium?

Me ;) You shall see.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@dominicl If you want a fast reply you have to pay for their premium support.

• LeeLee Veteran

cba reading the comments but anyone who offered messages of support to him then you are just as bad as he is.

• @dominicl please consider first getting a job in some other provider for a few months, even if unpaid/intern. Heck, any job, not necessarily hosting related. Should give you some valuable experience.

• @dominicl

One reason MeteorVPS closed (me), was because of college commitments, trust me, college is much more time consuming as you have to study independently, unless you're going to go do a part-time half-arse qual which is valued as rabbit poo.

You've also said you're going to do this.

Get Self-Assessment (UK right?)
    Buy some half-arse reseller from somebody, so you can resell stuff you have NO control over. *
    Make some profit, go into negatives and get a dedi node, shift everybody over, deal with a large amount of hassle with IP changes.
    Realise that college is taking over, pack it in.

All while you've got some outsourced support doing all the work for you in regards to tickets, this can't be cheap.

• Reselling, why?

Why would you resell? This goes against Brand-Image, you're called 'premiumVM' not 'justanothervm', people, by recognition would expect premiumvm to be using premium hardware they have control over and expertise.

You're also saying you're just out of school, so I'd say, 16? Just as a side-note, nobody takes 'self-assessment'/'self employed' as a real business, however you have CompaniesHouse where you can pay something like a £15 one off to be PLC registered.

A note on self-assesment.

Ensure you're fully aware of what this involves, HMRC are not puppies, they're fucking bulldogs when it comes to owing them money. Remember that you have NiC's to pay (You'll pay something like £30/qtr) and when you earn over 8K? Anything above that, is taxed at 20%, this isnt VAT for your clients, but your tax you have to pay for your income. -- When you submit self-assessment next April (Yes, you'll do 13/14 in 14/15, you're ALWAYS a year behind in taxes, and you have until 1?/01/2015 to submit the 13/14 returns).

If you have to pay them, pay them. Don't argue. And don't look for their customer service line to give you financial help. They'll just flag your account / NIN as being silly and investigate you, trust me, if you get investigated, you'll have to have every invoice you ever paid, printed off, much more professional book keeping that WHMCS can produce, and also have some work around for being paid in a foreign currency.

The easiest way would be to be in GBP only and make people exchange when they go through your portal.

Just my 2cents, honestly focus on college.

Hi,

@Jack said: Why?

That's what I'm thinking. Why shouldn't people help me along the way? I'm very greatful for what others are doing.

@rds100 said: @dominicl please consider first getting a job in some other provider for a few months, even if unpaid/intern. Heck, any job, not necessarily hosting related. Should give you some valuable experience.

As said, I already have but I'm not naming the provider (it's not on let)

edited April 2013

@eastonch said: ... Just my 2cents, honestly focus on college.

I have read your comment but am not going to quote all of it, haha. I will be focusing on college, and am going to have 1, 2, possibly 3 other people alongside me that I trust.

I'm in Guernsey (slightly different laws to the UK) so the only thing I have to do currently is fill in the annual form and hand it into the local tax office.

• mnpeepmnpeep Member
    edited April 2013

@dominicl said: Once again, please don't bash

But, how will you ever type in commands in linux? Or will you have a linux that uses perl-only, no bash whatsoever?

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2013

Removed due to Double post

@mnpeep said: But, how will you ever type in commands in linux? Or will you have a linux that uses perl-only, no bash whatsoever?

I do tolerate sarcasm/jokes ;-) That's true - will have to think about that.

• mnpeepmnpeep Member
    edited April 2013

@dominicl said: I do tolerate sarcasm/jokes ;-) That's true - will have to think about that.

I like making people happy :).

Seriously, bash in moderation, unless absolutely necessary.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@mnpeep said: Seriously, bash in moderation, unless absolutely necessary.

Indeed, I much prefer perl or python, though as shells go, I prefer bash over ksh.

• -> Offtopic

• GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
    edited April 2013

Hi @dominicl,

I understand that you're very passionate about IT, hosting industry, etc and for that, we're willing to help you out as long as you're clean.
    PM me if you would like to know more.

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited April 2013

@yomero said: It's nearly time (in June) for me to leave school, and go to college when I'll have a lot more free time (due to days off etc).

I don't think you have an idea of what college is like. Trust me, you don't want to be running a business, whilst going to college.

You need to make a choice. Business or college. And no.....you cannot do both.

• @NateN34 said: I don't think you have an idea of what college is like

OMG I got a wrong mention xD

• @dominicl People will always hate because your just a "kid", when more than half of the people on here act much more less mature than you, when they're older. Don't listen to the idiots on here bringing you down, it's your life, we can't control it, only you can. If you want to re-launch PremiumVM, go ahead. Only you know what is best for yourself. I wish you luck in your PremiumVM venture.

• If you are determined about running a hosting business, start with buying a OpenVZ VPS with cPanel ON, instead of taking up a master-reseller ( any provider who offers master-reseller is blacklisted in my books. )

Tip : Take OverZold from uncle and put the burden on him and enjoy your 5GB server to start with..

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2013

@Jeffrey It's not about his age it's that he has started and closed shop more times than I've restarted my firewall. No hate here, and if he is set on it I'll offer the best advice and support that I can because if its going to happen, his clients deserve better than the last attempts. However, don't act like people aren't justified in trying to discourage him from every angle. An adult with his history would be labeled a master of "pump and dump" operations that was to be avoided at all costs. He's very lucky to have the level of support here that he does. Again, I stress that I like Dominic, but he knows I'm going to be a straight shooter with him. He doesn't need a cheerleader, he needs direction.

• Get a job. You'll make more money, meet more people, have less headaches, and you'll have something to throw on a resume...

Or get into a very crowded market, with no money to invest, and nothing to separate you from everyone else on the market. Sucks to hear, but why in the world would I want to buy from you? There's no guarantee your services will exist the day after I buy. I'd much rather buy from someone who owns (even if they owe some money on it) the hardware they run their services on, has experience, and has been in industry for a while.

I've thought about getting into the VPS market, I spent a lot of time number crushing, but with only ~2k USD to invest without taking out a loan, it just wasn't really a worthwhile investment for me.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2013

@Kairus I got started with nothing but a waffle maker and a pair of shoes.

Actually it was $125 on a credit card. No secret why we had to write out the plan later. I wanted to prove I could do it, then I knew I'd have all the foundation I needed. It paid off. I'm no LiquidWeb, but I call this venture a success. It's all about motivation.

• Summer Host 2013.

• @dominicl, I'm going to be as reasonable as I can right now.

When you started your "first" company, we gave you several recommendations and suggestions in order to prevent having your "issues". Well, you never listened to a single suggestion we did and in the end you sold your company.

You then (after a few months or so) started up "PreimumVM" and again the exact same thing happened, except people this time realized that you'd never listen to their recommendations and suggestions.

I'm sorry but I can't take you seriously here even with this "new startup". Your previous history has yet to show that you're willing to stay for the long-run and just releasing your statement that you're now "legal" to run a company doesn't mean anything to me because of your previous actions.

Seriously, if you're serious about this then please work for another hosting company first before investing your time into another attempt.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Kairus said: nothing to separate you from everyone else on the market.

You're forgetting...he's premium

• Go to college, drink beer, meet girls (or boys), party, have fun and worry about having a business when you are grown up (no pun intended). This is the one period in your life when you can carelessly mess around and have fun, without having to worry about commitment too much. I'd say you better enjoy it :-)

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited April 2013

@mpkossen said: Go to college, drink beer, meet girls (or boys), party, have fun and worry about having a business when you are grown up (no pun intended). This is the one period in your life when you can carelessly mess around and have fun, without having to worry about commitment too much. I'd say you better enjoy it :-)

Now now. You can get do all that and still run/work for a company! You just don't pick Friday nights, Saturday nights, Sunday nights... basically all night shifts! Unless you want to.

Look at HalfEatenDrunkenPie here!

This is probably one of the few Friday nights I won't be going out to drink because I've been drinking since noon.

I should seriously stop drinking.

Meh.

Just note, to clear things up as people are asking - I do and have worked at some hosting companies for experience.

• If you're going to return you would. If you have changed and is serious about it this time you wouldn't have made a thread about it.

You should have a business plan. You don't need to cry out to the world about it. Just do it. It shouldn't matter what others say. If you are asking what others think, you should already stop.

It's these threads that make people feel you aren't ready. Prove my action, not these long speeches.

• @dominicl fwiw, get yourself a mentor - someone you feel you can trust and who has experience running a profitable vps company. Listen to them and do as they say until your business is more successful than theirs. Without the mentor, you're going to get very mixed messages and be in danger of flipping from one idea to the next. Weekly convos with goal setting and feedback that you take on board

• @NateN34 said: I don't think you have an idea of what college is like. Trust me, you don't want to be running a business, whilst going to college.

That really depends on the university and the major