Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a host for live reencoding a single video stream (to me)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a host for live reencoding a single video stream (to me)

Where I currently live, the best connection I can get is 2 mbps.
(They SAY it's 5 mbps, but speedtest NEVER goes past 2.5, and that's on a good day)

Meaning I can't watch anything online above 360p.
480p and 720p videos will buffer nonstop (forget 1080p).

(I usually watch live streams on Twitch)

I was thinking of getting a VPS that can run ffmpeg+livestreamer for me
(so that it can reencode any stream accessible to livestreamer to 360p, which I can watch comfortably on my connection), probably streamed to me via RTMP using NGINX.

So it's going to be basically having one HD stream (as input), one FFMPEG instance running (for transcoding down to 360p), and that SD video being streamed to me.

Is it advisable to get any VPS for this purpose?
Even the cheap yearly ones?
Or would that be too much CPU usage for a normal VPS?
Would I need an expensive dedicated server for this (even if it's just for "personal use")?

Thanks to anyone with any advice.

Also, tips on anyone that has done something similar before would be appreciated
(it's all theoretical for me right now, I haven't really put anything in implementation)

Thanked by 1mrtz

Comments

• I've tried asking some VPS providers if they allow ffmpeg, and the reply is something along the lines of "as long as you do not violate our AUP".

So should I keep looking and get only one that explicitly allows ffmpeg?

Because that sounds like "we don't know if it will use up too much CPU, and we won't allow it if it will". Basically no guarantee? :/

• Seems like a lot of work for nothing. Twitch will do this for you already. Why come up with your own solution?

• They don't.

I only watch specific retro games or fangames, usually having 5-10 viewers and no transcoding options.

Meaning I can never watch them live without buffering nonstop.

I don't really watch popular games with thousand of viewers. I have no problems watching those streams on Medium/Low, but I have no interest in them.

• Location seems important for this. What is a location/region that would work best for you?

• I'm from Southeast Asia.

I've never had buffering problems even from East Coast or West Coast servers, as long as transcoding options are present (I just watch on Medium or Low, which I assume are 480p and 360p).

• We can do this in Atlanta or Los Angeles. Plenty of CPU time spare so ffmpeg should be fine.

• I thought 2Mbps connection is sufficient to stream 720p video from Y2B?

Correct me if I am wrong.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@thatix said:
    I thought 2Mbps connection is sufficient to stream 720p video from Y2B?

Correct me if I am wrong.

Its not just the resolution that has an effect. Bitrate needs to be checked too.