Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you look for before purchasing from a new provider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you look for before purchasing from a new provider?

Company Registration, WhoIS?

Anything else specifically?

Comments

• trying to be extra careful to make your upcoming summerhost look legit?

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Reviews, price, location, added features, whois, ToS and payment methods. In that order.

Thanked by 1emg
  • @JoeMerit said:
    trying to be extra careful to make your upcoming summerhost look legit?

nope, genuinely curious.

• For me; in particular order; whois o should be clear and should be registered business. After these reviews are important.

• Hm.. For me it would be ipv6, review, whois, tos, aup, location, features, price, payment methodes.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited October 2016

Price and then search the internet for its owner's illness as in a common tendency to ask lots of mindless questions on webhosting forums before starting a flyby host.

• Idk if this is just me but usually the first glance decides if i buy something or not. Summerhost will always look fishy at the first glance while established companies make a rather good look.

• reviews, history, how they reply to my goofiness and bargaining. Also the actual price... if its too good and the provider is new then i skip it.

• New to me or new in general?

• @bersy said:
    New to me or new in general?

New to you

• Don't know why but I get a feel if the company is legit or not. Just this sense has saved me from recent abandoned hosts alone. Design, Lorem ipsum content, design inconsistencies and bugs on front end website are factors affecting initial screening though.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited October 2016

How providers communicate on here is also quite telling. You can tell which ones have quality after reading their posts for a few weeks. It isn't exactly an efficient way to 'choose' but certainly very effective.

Thanked by 2Zen Ole_Juul
  • @erkin said:
    For me; in particular order; whois o should be clear and should be registered business.

if that's it, then you are in the wrong place here and most probably can only do business with less than 50% of providers around here... ;-)

Thanked by 1erkin
  • DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2016

1. Wayback of site and whois.

2. Support response time.

3. Site is active or not even update footer year.

4. Server Uptime

5. Genuine negative review. (I see only negative review)

6. Then I decided to purchase from my old trusted provider.

• ah op looking for the provider tag for your upcoming summer/winterhost lol?

• @timnboys said:
    ah op looking for the provider tag for your upcoming summer/winterhost lol?

Nope, genuinely curious like I said before :)

• @Falzo said:

@erkin said:
    For me; in particular order; whois o should be clear and should be registered business.

if that's it, then you are in the wrong place here and most probably can only do business with less than 50% of providers around here... ;-)

Believe me even 20% is more then enough. ;)

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • OSTKCabalOSTKCabal Member, Patron Provider

I generally take a peek at reviews, general trustworthiness of the website (grammar; information about infrastructure - I'd rather not work with a provider that can't or doesn't provide basic network, hardware, and facility info; live chat), locations offered, network blend/test IPs, and expect fair/reasonable pricing for the service and location.

• Reputation.

• If they're new or have poor reviews (I like to give second chances), their refund policy is important to me.

• Price
    Being in industry for long enough (more than 2-3 years)
    Hardware specs
    Support / owner's behavior (I like small providers for that)
    Public whois
    TOS/AUP

• elgselgs Member
    edited October 2016

I have a vps with each provider that I thought the price and specs are reasonable. Use it for a while, and time will tell it all.

• Alexa Rank and Reputation.

• Google this :

site:lowendtalk.com scam|bad|stay away|down|deadpool "[INSERT PROVIDER NAME HERE]"

Thanked by 1GCat
  • before buying a dedicated server, getting a vps from the provider, run tests, and check the network for a month before, and checking reviews, and support

• OSTKCabalOSTKCabal Member, Patron Provider

@CentrioHost said:
    Alexa Rank and Reputation.

I fail to see what alexa rank has to do with the quality of a provider. There are plenty of websites out there that have amazing site rankings and traffic, but acquire that traffic illegally, and provide a questionable-at-best service.

Thanked by 1GCat
  • Reviews, Price, TOS/AUP, Provider Information (company #, whois, etc), Network (test IPs, locations, speed, etc), activity by employees on websites (ie, let/leb/etc), Payment Gateways, Refund policy (if applicable), SLA (if applicable), trial (if applicable), then make my decision after counting in all these factors (not in the order listed above)

• Deformed pics on website design. Hate it.