Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can it be done: Xen inside a KVM guest
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can it be done: Xen inside a KVM guest

mpkossenmpkossen Member
edited April 2013 in General

I've been searching around for people having experience with this. I've also tried it myself (but it didn't work). I want to run Xen inside a KVM Guest. Just Xen PV, not HVM, obviously. I could install it just fine but it doesn't complete the boot and seems to hang at completely different points.

Why would I want this? For fun and testing purposes :)

Anyway, the real question is: has anybody done it before? And if yes: how?

Comments

• Try Xenner ;-)

• I am pretty sure I saw @AnothnySmith got this kind of setup up and running before, but not sure the details.

• OpenVZ and Xen run fine inside KVM :)

• It can be done. You need to enable hardware virtualization passthrough to use HVM. I'm not sure the exact name of the feature.

You'd probably need a virtual "real" ethernet card. I'm not too keen on it tho.

• You'll need to enable nested virtualisation. There are a number of guides for KVM available online.

• @ShardHost said: You'll need to enable nested virtualisation. There are a number of guides for KVM available online.

Also for just Xen PV?

• @mpkossen said: Also for just Xen PV?

No. You don't need the virtualization extensions for PV.

• @Rallias said: No. You don't need the virtualization extensions for PV.

I thought so, so that can't be it then :)

I'll toy around, see how far I can get. Hopefully somebody else has some experience.

• FACEPALM: doesn't work with VirtIO :)

• Sorry missed PV

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I tried to boot xen with centos 5 inside a full virtualized machine for Xen-PV with the same results, hanging.
    Debian worked tho. I was using virtualbox and blamed it on that at first, later tried in a proxmox and had the same failure.
    I think it is something centos 5 specific.

• i just running this successfully (but not fully satisfied with the performances) :

• OVZ inside KVM
    • KVM inside KVM (nested KVM)
    • LXC inside KVM and LXC inside KVM inside KVM
    • HVM/PV inside KVM (but for HVM you still need the nested parameters enabled in your kernel)
  • Thanks for the responses, guys! It seems to be running smooth now :) I'm going to test the performance, but I'm glad it works out of the box on Ubuntu (though not with VirtIO).

• Hi @mpkossen,
    I'm trying to do the same thing (run a Xen VM guest on a KVM fisical host) with no success until now. Both, host and guest, are ubuntu 64bits. When I try to boot the xen guest, I get some error, something like: Code 55 14 f3 33 f5 78 ...

I couldn't understand what did you do in order to make it work. Can you give a little help on it?

Thanks in advance.
    Have a good one!

• @raphaelluciano said:
    Hi @mpkossen,
    I'm trying to do the same thing (run a Xen VM guest on a KVM fisical host) with no success until now. Both, host and guest, are ubuntu 64bits. When I try to boot the xen guest, I get some error, something like: Code 55 14 f3 33 f5 78 ...

I couldn't understand what did you do in order to make it work. Can you give a little help on it?

Thanks in advance.
    Have a good one!

Bravo for the necro.

• @Mon5t3r said:
    i just running this successfully (but not fully satisfied with the performances) :

• OVZ inside KVM
    • KVM inside KVM (nested KVM)
    • LXC inside KVM and LXC inside KVM inside KVM
    • HVM/PV inside KVM (but for HVM you still need the nested parameters enabled in your kernel)

To add to the list:

• KVM inside LXD
      (you can take a snapshot of your whole KVM environment and migrate it to a different server)
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

what's the performance hit on nest virtualization?

• @randvegeta said:

Six.

Thanked by 2Kris netomx
  • @randvegeta said:

Not too much if you pass everything straight through.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

WSS said: Six.

Imposibru!!

• @raphaelluciano said:
    something like: Code 55 14 f3 33 f5 78 ...

Thanked by 1WSS