Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which CDN do you use or recommend?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which CDN do you use or recommend?

I'm looking for a low-cost CDN solution for a few sites that are already provisioned with SSL certificates (Let's Encrypt).

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Comments

• racksxracksx Member
    edited October 2016

AWS Maybe :),maybe not that cheap :(

• arpanjotarpanjot Member
    edited October 2016

keycdn? they have an offer posted on let few days ago. Used max cdn and they were quite good. Suggest you to wait for black Friday deals since many cdn providers will offer some offers then

edit: you can also try cloudfront, their free tier includes all zones and 50 gb bandwidth if I remember correctly

• BeardyUnixGuyBeardyUnixGuy Member
    edited October 2016

Don't forget @BunnySpeed who runs BunnyCDN. It's pay as you go.

• Thanks for the suggestions. I'm now looking at BunnyCDN and KeyCDN. @arpanjot do you know what the KeyCDN offer was or have a link?

• MaxCDN .

• @cooper said:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm now looking at BunnyCDN and KeyCDN. @arpanjot do you know what the KeyCDN offer was or have a link?

It was actually CDN.net,not keycdn. Here you go

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/92138/1-tb-cdn-for-5-from-cdn-net-9-locations-apac-included#latest

Thanked by 1OnApp_Terry
  • @arpanjot said:

@cooper said:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm now looking at BunnyCDN and KeyCDN. @arpanjot do you know what the KeyCDN offer was or have a link?

It was actually CDN.net,not keycdn. Here you go

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/92138/1-tb-cdn-for-5-from-cdn-net-9-locations-apac-included#latest

@arpanjot thanks, much appreciated.

Thanked by 1OnApp_Terry
  • I use Cloudfront on AWS. I love it. If you are a new customer you can use their free tier which is free for 12 months.

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

I personally prefer CloudFlare above AWS. I'm satisfied with both the free and paid plan that cloudflare provides. Performance is good in all regions

Thanked by 1postcd
  • I've already used up my 1 year grace period with AWS. They were good but for someone like me who is low/medium skillset in this area I still need a bit of hand holding now and again. That is not the AWS target demographic in my experience.

I've nothing against Cloudflare but it's my understanding that if you've SSL enabled on your website it won't work on their free plan? Maybe someone more knowledgeable can clarify as I'm not 100% sure on that. You'd need to sign-up to their paid plans which at $20 pm per domain is a non-starter.

I had a look at the CDN.net offer but it wasn't for me. I need better coverage on the Western seaboard and APAC. CDN.net give you Seattle and Singapore to cover that. However BunnyCDN provide Singapore, Tokyo, LA and to a lesser extent Chicago. Of course that's just me using guesswork/logic that the BunnyCDN locations will serve my needs better and is not based on experience.

I discarded KeyCDN because they promote a free trial but give you no information on what the trial/proposition is. For me that's a basic fail and I didn't look any further.

So, I've taken the BunnyCDN 14 day free trial period and we'll see how it goes with some dev sites.

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

Thanked by 1BunnySpeed
  • Just to share - we can do more locations. As CDN.net is powered by the OnApp federation, we have about 200 PoPs to choose from (110 or so unique locations). The price would obviously change as certain locations are selected.

• WHTWHT Member

KeyCDN is a crapp. Your credit will expire after 1 year.

• OnApp_Terry said: Just to share - we can do more locations. As CDN.net is powered by the OnApp federation, we have about 200 PoPs to choose from (110 or so unique locations). The price would obviously change as certain locations are selected.

The SolusVM abandonment begins.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@WHT said:

Yeah, I just saw that the other day. Wonder when that started? I've got a ton of referral credits from signing up clients/friends over the last couple years, so worried about those disappearing.

• @OnApp_Terry said:
    Just to share - we can do more locations. As CDN.net is powered by the OnApp federation, we have about 200 PoPs to choose from (110 or so unique locations). The price would obviously change as certain locations are selected.

Yep, I probably should have been clearer that I specifically referring to the locations outlined in your $5 LET offer.

• @OnApp_Terry said:
    Just to share - we can do more locations. As CDN.net is powered by the OnApp federation, we have about 200 PoPs to choose from (110 or so unique locations). The price would obviously change as certain locations are selected.

The @SolusVM abandonment begins.

Thanked by 1Four20
  • How much traffic are you pushing, to which regions, and what types of files are you serving?

• +1 for MaxCDN.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • arielsearielse Member
    edited October 2016

-1 to MaxCDN

I tried MaxCDN and cancelled the account in less than an hour, USD 9 down the drain. They tried to charge me $100 for adding a "www" custom domain to a HTTPS resource (WTF?).

And seems that they charge you $100 for every "special" request you made, this was on May 2016.

• Amazon Cloudfront: A little expensive (compared to others), great throughput, superior US presence, and great global presence.
    • CDN77: Excellent pricing, great throughput, good global presence, excellent dashboard super detailed, outstanding support.
    • CacheFly: They added a "Pay as you go" plan, but finally decided to remove it :(
    • CloudFlare: Great service for free, but they focus on other features, so for example they don't have "push zones", I haven't tested the Pro plan.
    Thanked by 1postcd
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

I'm using bunnyCDN its the faster at populating zones than keyCDN. Pricing is good too, and the support is fairly quick. If you need a hand with the API feel free to PM me.

Thanked by 1cooper
  • @ElliotJ said:
    How much traffic are you pushing, to which regions, and what types of files are you serving?

These are wordpress test sites that will have virtually no traffic initially unless I want to test loads on the server. I'm trying to optimise page load speeds for APAC region mainly.

• @arielse said:
    -1 to MaxCDN

I tried MaxCDN and cancelled the account in less than an hour, USD 9 down the drain. They tried to charge me $100 for adding a "www" custom domain to a HTTPS resource (WTF?).

And seems that they charge you $100 for every "special" request you made, this was on May 2016.

• Amazon Cloudfront: A little expensive (compared to others), great throughput, superior US presence, and great global presence.
    • CDN77: Excellent pricing, great throughput, good global presence, excellent dashboard super detailed, outstanding support.
    • CacheFly: They added a "Pay as you go" plan, but finally decided to remove it :(
    • CloudFlare: Great service for free, but they focus on other features, so for example they don't have "push zones", I haven't tested the Pro plan.

Thanks for that. I was getting optimistic about CDN77 until I read this:

To get started just top up your account with $149. Funds are valid for one year and every recharge extends the expiration.

I'd not heard of Cachefly so will have a closer look.

• Cachefly is insanely expensive. If you're on a tight budget, perhaps CDN.net is what you need, or just CloudFlare :)

Thanked by 1cooper
  • You're right about the tight budget :-)

If I'm reading the terms correctly then BunnyCDN will only charge me for what I use. So as I'm only testing page load speeds at the moment costs should be negligible. They do state on their website that there is no minimum charge.

CDN.net looks good too but at the moment I doubt I'd be anywhere close to using $5 of traffic to benefit from their LET offer.

• BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2016

@cooper said:
    You're right about the tight budget :-)

If I'm reading the terms correctly then BunnyCDN will only charge me for what I use. So as I'm only testing page load speeds at the moment costs should be negligible. They do state on their website that there is no minimum charge.

CDN.net looks good too but at the moment I doubt I'd be anywhere close to using $5 of traffic to benefit from their LET offer.

Well, we do have a minimum account charge of $5, but it's not a monthly charge. Other than that, we only charge for the bytes that you use. That's it.

By the way. My two cents, I would suggest you avoid CloudFlare if you want decent performance. Maybe that's just me but I've seen things go quite slow on there.

• WHTWHT Member

@Harambe said:

@WHT said:

Yeah, I just saw that the other day. Wonder when that started? I've got a ton of referral credits from signing up clients/friends over the last couple years, so worried about those disappearing.

Everything will disapear, this just sucks. I have recommended them in every forum.

• WHTWHT Member

@BunnySpeed said:

@cooper said:

Well, we do have a minimum account charge of $5, but it's not a monthly charge. Other than that, we only charge for the bytes that you use. That's it.

By the way. My two cents, I would suggest you avoid CloudFlare if you want decent performance. Maybe that's just me but I've seen things go quite slow on there.

Do you also have such crazy accounts deposits like $200 or $5000?

Could you share more about the payment?

• BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep

@WHT said:

@BunnySpeed said:

@cooper said:

Do you also have such crazy accounts deposits like $200 or $5000?

Could you share more about the payment?

We have a minimum deposit of $5 which expires after a year unless you use it or make another deposit. If you use 50 bytes per month, we will charge you only for those 50 bytes. We support payments via Credit Card by BrainTree or BitCoin by Coinify.

The expiring credit is only in effect for users from about a month ago, credit on our older accounts doesn't expire. We had to add this because we were getting a lot of users using less than 0.01 per month.

Thanked by 1cooper
  • cooper said: These are wordpress test sites that will have virtually no traffic initially unless I want to test loads on the server. I'm trying to optimise page load speeds for APAC region mainly.

Honestly, paying for a CDN most likely wouldn't be worth it. I'd recommend you tweak CloudFlare to become a ghetto CDN.

Move all your static wordpress files (css, js, images) over to a separate subdomain, edit the theme files to reflect the file location change, then set a ridiculously long cache time on the static file serving subdomain. Hey presto, free CDN.

Also, if your sites are loading popular javascript files, you can usually find them hosted at CDNjs.com - Use them as they're pre-cached globally.

Aside from doing that, AWS may be a good option due to low upfront costs (and let's face it, you're unlikely to shift over 5gb of data a month if they're low traffic) and no required deposit.

Thanked by 2cooper Blazing
  • WHTWHT Member

So the credit expires after a month?

Any locations like Australia, Mexico, Brasil, India planed?