Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Launches 3 New Datacenters - Page 20
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Launches 3 New Datacenters

Comments

• Omg just got my server!

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@MikeA said:

@sqamsqam said:
    Lol 200 ms to Christchurch New Zealand. The speeds to USA are a bit of a disappointment same with Singapore

Surely it's just a temp issue for whatever ISP that location is using.

OVH are using Telstra as their only upstream... I doubt it will change :P Weird that they went with Telstra, they cost the most and have the worst connectivity.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@trewq said:

@MikeA said:

@sqamsqam said:
    Lol 200 ms to Christchurch New Zealand. The speeds to USA are a bit of a disappointment same with Singapore

Surely it's just a temp issue for whatever ISP that location is using.

OVH are using Telstra as their only upstream... I doubt it will change :P Weird that they went with Telstra, they cost the most and have the worst connectivity.

Will have to wait till this time next year, but the hawaiki cable will allow them to offer the same bandwidth as the rest of their network

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • @MikeA said:
    For anyone who's interested...

What software is that image generated with? xD

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@stefeman said:

@MikeA said:
    For anyone who's interested...

What software is that image generated with? xD

http://maplatency.com/

Thanked by 2Yura stefeman
  • GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited February 2017

@Spazzly said:
    Cool, time to play. How would one install windows from the rescue boot? Not too familiar with OVH stuff

When I have time to sit down I'll tell you, also are you given IPMI/KVM access? I was told by support these new servers would receive that by default

• @ethancedrik said:

@Spazzly said:
    Cool, time to play. How would one install windows from the rescue boot? Not too familiar with OVH stuff

When I have time to sit down I'll tell you, also are you given IPMI/KVM access? I was told by support these new servers would receive that by default

Yeah it looks like we have ipmi available through the dashboard

edited February 2017

@Spazzly You can get Server 2016 installed by doing the following;

changing the netbook to rescuepro-64, rebooting the server, then logging in via the SSH rescue credentials emailed to you, and running the following commands

tmux

wget -O- 'http://vpsfiles.mchaven.net/Server2016TechNetEval.gz' | gunzip | dd of=/dev/sda

Then once that is finished downloading, keep in mind this is from BHS so it may take an hour or longer, change netboot to local hard drive and reboot again, wait 30 seconds or longer and either using IPMI or the remote desktop client on your windows computer login using your servers IP, then the
    Username: Administrator
    Password: Password147

and then once you're on the windows desktop open up disk management and extend the primary partition for C:\ to take up all the drive space, and you should be good to go! I would make sure windows defender and windows update is all set up to your liking as well, and of course change the default password for this template for security reasons, if it doesn't prompt you automatically

Credit: Joodle @ joodle.nl, he's a LET user here as well and made these templates for ovh dedicated servers, more info can be found here: https://joodle.nl/install-windows-on-a-kimsufi-completely-free/ I already donated to unlock the full template list but won't be reposting the download links here for obvious reasons except for the server 2016 one I downloaded and rehosted for the purpose of helping people in this case out.

• I wonder why Hawaii has 339ms ping when it's supposedly using the same fiber optic cables that are connected to Sydney (southern cross cables) and US has about 200, must be routing

edited February 2017

@ethancedrik said:
    I wonder why Hawaii has 339ms ping when it's supposedly using the same fiber optic cables that are connected to Sydney (southern cross cables) and US has about 200, must be routing

Seems to go from OVH Sydney to LAX to New Jersey (I'm guessing OVH SYD > OVH BHS, routes named oddly) then back down to Hawaii.

• @ethancedrik said:
    Credit: Joodle @ joodle.nl, he's a LET user here as well and made these templates for ovh dedicated servers, more info can be found here: https://joodle.nl/install-windows-on-a-kimsufi-completely-free/ I already donated to unlock the full template list but won't be reposting the download links here for obvious reasons except for the server 2016 one I downloaded and rehosted for the purpose of helping people in this case out.

I wonder how he and his wife are doing these days.

• @ethancedrik said:
    @Spazzly You can get Server 2016 installed by doing the following;

changing the netbook to rescuepro-64, rebooting the server, then logging in via the SSH rescue credentials emailed to you, and running the following commands

tmux

wget -O- 'http://vpsfiles.mchaven.net/Server2016TechNetEval.gz' | gunzip | dd of=/dev/sda

Then once that is finished downloading, keep in mind this is from BHS so it may take an hour or longer, change netboot to local hard drive and reboot again, wait 30 seconds or longer and either using IPMI or the remote desktop client on your windows computer login using your servers IP, then the
    Username: Administrator
    Password: Password147

and then once you're on the windows desktop open up disk management and extend the primary partition for C:\ to take up all the drive space, and you should be good to go! I would make sure windows defender and windows update is all set up to your liking as well, and of course change the default password for this template for security reasons, if it doesn't prompt you automatically

Thanks! Will give it a crack tonight

• FYI if anyone has issues with the login credentials for rescue mode, when accessing rescue mode, dont enter an email address, just leave it blank and it will send the email to the one assigned to your account. When i put an email in there the credentials dont work!

• Right, now where is those failover ip's at?

Thanked by 1pbgben
  • Vocus seems to have the best NZ ping of 25ms, then Spark which is a pretty popular ISP and cellphone carrier over there has 120ms, I know some people from NZ who are on ISPs like 2degrees so if I can get some results like that I'll post them here

edited February 2017

@MikeA said:

Seems to go from OVH Sydney to LAX to New Jersey (I'm guessing OVH SYD > OVH BHS, routes named oddly) then back down to Hawaii.

Yeah that would explain that, hopefully in time that'll improve

edited February 2017

And Telstra seems to be used for domestic Australia traffic only.

Some claim OVH is in SY1 as opposed to 4 but regardless they're pretty interconnected DCs

edited February 2017

I feel like if anyone's going to be running hosting or a game server, etc off one the "100 Mbps unlimited (1 Gbps burst***): + $123.2/month" would be the best option there, I wonder for people who didn't pay the extra $100 if they'll get the option to buy more bandwidth.

If anyone has the " 3 TB /month** : included" is there an option to buy more bandwidth if you run out? I imagine there would be as if that happened your server would probably just be nullrouted until you pay for more bandwidth to be able to access it again and of course access all the files and data on it was well

@ethancedrik said:
    I feel like if anyone's going to be running hosting or a game server, etc off one the "100 Mbps unlimited (1 Gbps burst***): + $123.2/month" would be the best option there, I wonder for people who didn't pay the extra $100 if they'll get the option to buy more bandwidth.

If anyone has the " 3 TB /month** : included" is there an option to buy more bandwidth if you run out? I imagine there would be as if that happened your server would probably just be nullrouted until you pay for more bandwidth to be able to access it again and of course access all the files and data on it was well

I believe I asked my account rep in the past and it was something along the lines of "the only option is to upgrade to 100Mbps unmetered", otherwise I think the port is limited slowly until the billing cycle restarts.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited February 2017

It goes to 1mbit/s after 3 TB unless you upgrade to 100Mbps according customer support via phone.

edited February 2017

Yep, I asked myself and it's

Up to 1 Gbps, reduced to 10 Mbps after over 3TB is used

So i guess it would slow down to 10mbps until the next billing cycle, which isn't bad, at least they don't cut off the connection completely

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • SpazzlySpazzly Member
    edited February 2017

@ethancedrik said:
    Vocus seems to have the best NZ ping of 25ms, then Spark which is a pretty popular ISP and cellphone carrier over there has 120ms, I know some people from NZ who are on ISPs like 2degrees so if I can get some results like that I'll post them here

Pings to 2degrees is fine. I get 36ms from home to the OVH server, get the same to my Ransom IT dedi and the same to my Vultr VPS

Thanked by 1GamerTech24
    edited February 2017

thanks for the report on 2degrees, I can't wait for VPS providers to start offering this location with their AU servers, it's almost making me want to pay $100 and get one myself which I may do but I'm not sure yet, but without additional IPs the only option for providers would be NAT VPSs like i-83.net offers.

• Additional IP's are ready, they just need to update the details in the CP, confirmed by the director for OVH APAC.

edited February 2017

@Spazzly said:
    Additional IP's are ready, they just need to update the details in the CP, confirmed by the director for OVH APAC.

Doesn't sound very right, I was told just a day or two ago there's no ETA on failover IPs or IPv6 in Sydney. If what you say they say is right (which I hope!), I'll be happy though.

edited February 2017

Yeah, I hope so too.

Their current IPv4 block allocated to their AU servers is a /17 which should be enough to get them started

• I had asked them if SYD was production ready, yesterday it wasn't, today it is.